Your Top Movies that you feel Defined the Cyberpunk Genre.

+
1. Blade Runner
2. Johnny Mnemonic

Cybernetics that can't be visualized is part of why there aren't as many Cyberpunk-movies. If you can't see it, it seemingly doesn't exist. So, that's why my list is very short.

Guest 4519094

some's gotta be the old fart and mention it,

Metropolis ( the 2001 version indeed :p honorable mention to the original ;) )

only click if you've seen that master piece already ;)

Dredd (2012)
Ghost in The Shell - the original
The Matrix
Akira
Johnny Mnemonic
Bladerunner and Bladerunner 2049
Alien and Aliens
The Terminator (1984)
Total Recall (1990)
Minority Report
Altered Carbon
Elysium
Tron and Tron Legacy
Westworld
Not a movie but Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Last edited:
Genre defining would be classics - first Blade Runner, GitS, Robocop, Johnny Mnemonic, Demolition Man, Matrix trilogy, Strange Days (C77 braindance is from there), Akira (kind of, more the urban feel and gangbanger setup than the plot).

From new ones the new Blade Runner, Elysium, new Total Recall, Sleep Factory, Dredd, The Machine, Kill Command, Upgrade, maybe Bright if you like Shadowrun as a setting.

Final Fantasy 7/Tetsuo/Tron type miracle magic i personally would not count. Tech as magic is somehow less acceptable than Shadowrun style magic as tech.

Last edited:
Bladerunner features a cop protagonist. Ghost in a Shell features a cop protagonist. In the Cyberpunk PnP RPG one of the classes is that of a Lawman. There is nothing about a cop protagonist that excludes or makes a story an outlier from Cyberpunk. I would argue that its actually one of the core archetypal stories within the foundation DNA of the genre.

Technically GITS is a government agent protagonist.

not a movie, but the belters in series: "The Expanse" are cyberpunk af, imo.. especially the OPA members.

the hair and the clothes but the tech too -- it's just understated -- they do have replacement arms and such, but aren't lining up to get them. a later season even had a "media", with recording implants in his eye but I think he was born blind, so again, wasn't exactly something people line up to do to themselves. and it leaned further into it during the prison scenes with Amos (later seasons), where some of the prisoners' body mods made it too dangerous for them to be in general pop.

Well pretty much all been said before.
First off would have to be bladerunner for me seeing it on video(to young for cinema release) that blew me away, a few years later i found 2000ad and dreds and subbed into my 20s lol.
Bladerunner 2 i thought was amazing film
The matrix trilogy i love and certainly first film feels very cyberpunky to me, especially plugging into the matrix amd the netrunners here .
Ghost in the shell though i have only seen recent movie
Have watched altered carbon and enjoyed it . Was going say logans run slightly older film bit guess thats not quite in the genre

Robocop is not really cyberpunk (imo) but shares some elements with it.

The original Robocop is the MOST cyberpunk movie out of the whole list.
Nothing is more cyberpunk than lawless streets claiming the life of an honest cop; Him to be resurrected in a cyborg body - but only for him to be a pawn in an ultrarich corpo's personal agenda to get richer.

Theres not been that many movies that I would classify as cyberpunk in general. There are very few that I haven't been mentioned already.

Off the top of my head:

1. Robocop (the original)
2. Strange days
3. Dredd (2012)
4. Altered Carbon first season (not a movie but worth watching. Second season went too far into high scifi)
5. Upgrade (2018)

I dont personally consider Blade runner as cyberpunk. Both movies are transhumanist movies instead, especially the latter. Not all Scifi is Cyberpunk.

Is there a Netrunner movie?

Not really. The only one I can think of is the Lawnmower man, but it has some truly horrendous early 90s special effects...

Last edited:
My apologies for asking what I feel may be an obvious question, but I am terrible at reading intent in message board posts. So, that was a joke, right?
:sigh:
yes, I was joking, don't need to apologise and I hope you didn't get offended
/when mercs go soft

Super Mario Bros

even if it's terribly bad

totally cyberpunk

a concept art

mZBtXGLTtPlddPIGVjQmnkYv7hpe8c3EFvZSBg1yuxw.jpg

Bladerunner no comparison (I'm super biased, it's my favorite movie anyway). Both movies. I remember the first time I watched Bladerunner, I found about it through the OST (my favorite OST), since back then I was obsessed with Vangelis.

I love the cyberpunk elements of the city mixed with the heavy noir theme. Plus I think it's a movie that encourages a lot the use of symbolism to convey or affirm things happening in the plot, like the use of color, the symbolism of certain animals, etc.

In many ways I think CP77 tries to take note of this with the Tarot.

Not that they necessarily inspired them, but some recent ones that could take place in the Night City universe:

Upgrade
Ex Machina
Dredd

Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell.

Demolition Man has become scarily relevant in recent times.

Psycho Pass is another really good take.

And if you're the reading type: Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep?

Top Bottom