Tanking your MMR is easy, just play NR and it will JUST NATURALLY HAPPEN

+
Tanking your MMR is easy, just play NR and it will JUST NATURALLY HAPPEN

Is anyone having success playing NR realms in ranked play? I had to win 5 ranked matches and win 5 northern realms matches so I tried to kill two birds with one stone and had a 41% winrate, playing 12 games and winning 5. I know all the most popular NR decks and obviously so do others at 4200mmr. Radovid armor only wins 45% of the time and IMO gets worked over since its nerf about two patches ago and with new cards like slave drivers your oppenent can just benefit from the armor on your cards, ruining your biggest win condition and renders vincent almost worthless. Armor also leaves your cards buffed just enough to make scorch and bork sketchy to play. I only won one game with rad armor, mcbeards rad Canadian varient. So I tried Henselt machines and either got out tempoed by DWARVES (with dun banners) or countered. I didn't really play foltest, and curse decks are just weak. I mean who allows cards like HATTORI and PAULIE DAHLBERG to exist then make cards like SABRINAS SPECTER with KAEDWENI REVENANT doomed? I got annoyed and said to myself Im playing until i get 5 ranked wins with NR no matter the cost to my MMR so i made a control Radovid with some meme cards like Sabrina (great against SK beastmaster, and surprisingly dwarves if you surprise your oppenent with it.), pavetta (I used her to throw nekkers back into peoples deck, reuse stennis using reinforcements, kill your oppenents smaller cards then throw one of their buffed cards back into their deck or for real memes use her with botchling/lubberkin) & bloody baron and won my last three ranked matches. NR definitely feels the most broken out of all the factions from my experience playing in 2018. It's only been 8 days but it feels longer, probably because it takes so long to complete quests or gain scraps when you lose. It is EXTREMELY apparent why people are complaining especially if your main NRs. I feel like I wasted A LOT of scraps crafting near worthless NR cards. I've been noticing more and more that CDPR is making cards based on a benchmark number and less on how they interact against each other cards in the game especially older/newer card interaction. One cannot only test the interactions of new content and forget about its foundation so please don't ever forget that because it might have happened with this 100 card release. Most Bronze Cards on average add up to 11 to 15 on paper but how can you not take in consideration they interacts with other bronzes, silvers and golds as well as the value it gives you based on if you win or lose the coinflip with spy/summoning circle etc abuse. If they did take that into consideration they would notice that instead of those cards having a 10-15 bronze value they will see that many bronzes in ST and NG get a ruffly a 25 point value....a whopping 10pts more MINIMUM on 3 to 6 bronze cards per match giving them on average a 50 point advantage possibility at the start of the match (based on the state of how the cards were balanced at released) and if they get the better end of the coin flip then I can't blame anyone who just wants to instantly hit the forfeit button. (And yes I guess ranting about this 24-48hrs before a patch is a waste of time, I think my experience last night made me temporarily insane.)

Last edited:
Henselt Machines is a strong deck and can beat a lot of the field. I'm not sure what its game is like against dorfs admittedly. Radovid armour is... odd.

But the most broken faction? Not even close. It's got three viable different deck types (armour, henselt machines, foltest swarm) and a fourth that will one day be good (cursed). Compare to Skellige that has two at best (one conveniently being one of the top two decks in the format) and Monsters who really only have one with three lurking on the edges and being fun, NR is in a good place. It's just that SK bears and dorfs are so overwhelmingly powerful that most other decks don't have a chance. Or maybe dorfs and spies. Seems to depend on the play which deck they hate most.

I`m not sure about armor still, but Henselt machines is in the top together with the dwarves and nekker consume

Ok your right, broken, was probably the wrong word to use. If we were to compare each factions too tier decks based on performance at 4000-4250 MMR and not having anything to do with pro ladder standings I'd say NR would be last. I really enjoy NR but it's extreme ups and down between patches makes me hope for more consistency and balance for them in the future. It's not healthy for the faction or the game to have a faction go from being the #1 performing and a little overtuned faction to becoming dead last. This wouldn't and wont be nearly as much of an issue once a few key issues get balanced because the tier 2 decks for each faction are actually quite competitive, and much more balanced and fun to play with/against. That is not the case with each factions tier 1 decks.

SoSaHer;n10186052 said:
I`m not sure about armor still, but Henselt machines is in the top together with the dwarves and nekker consume

Northern Realms Machines is easily countered and can set you off course far more often then dwarves, and NG spies. Nothing competes against a competent dwarves deck. Machines is on the same level as monsters I'd agree and when machines gets a good hand it can and does excel but nothing like it did last patch.

No carry over. No silver spawn. No way to put points in deck/hands/graveyard. No way to disrupt previously mentioned strategies. Only Shani to reuse key bronze unit. No OP gold(I:M, double Thremor, res two units MO). No big swings from bronze cards. No spawning bodies. Greatest vulnerability to Slave Driver. Brickable and simply weak leaders.

Words do not convey expirience. People saying "NR is ok", please try it youself at 4000+.

I find that for NR machines to be winnable, you really need the early R1 game setup to go your way. With Henselt if oppo cannot shut down your setup or out tempo you by at least minimum 25pts, then NR machines can be good - but they have no real R3 big finisher (unless Ciri:Nova - but haven't seen a lot of her about recently or even Henselt himself - which I've seen quite a few times) and do suffer from providing easy targets. I've never played NR machines in an MMR ranked match (only standard 'ranked') and I'd say that my win/lose ratio was "about" 50/50. Radovid armour decks are just.... bad; so many ways to shut them down or out tempo them it's not true, especially if you're playing an ST or M - consume type deck.

I'm guessing higher up the pro-ladder you go the oppo's know limitations of NR and can pretty much stop you winning after first or second card in R1 - which has happened to me quite a few times...

Last edited:
W12;n10186272 said:
No carry over. No silver spawn. No way to put points in deck/hands/graveyard.

Words do not convey expirience. People saying "NR is ok", please try it youself at 4000+.

Have to disagree with this. Foltest swarm has great carry-over with Foltest and Blue Stripe Scouts. And I played one successfully at about 4100, and having a positive winquote against dwarves.
What is really great about NR is that it is much easier to mix archetypes than other factions, and also create unique decks. I have seen since summer only a single player, playing a deck that I would call similar to mine.

The problem with NR is that although they do decently against dwarves, they get seriously out tempo by decks that outscore dwarves such as consume. They are also weak to mill decks which also counters dwarves.

iamthedave;n10185412 said:
Henselt Machines is a strong deck and can beat a lot of the field. I'm not sure what its game is like against dorfs admittedly. Radovid armour is... odd.

But the most broken faction? Not even close. It's got three viable different deck types (armour, henselt machines, foltest swarm) and a fourth that will one day be good (cursed). Compare to Skellige that has two at best (one conveniently being one of the top two decks in the format) and Monsters who really only have one with three lurking on the edges and being fun, NR is in a good place. It's just that SK bears and dorfs are so overwhelmingly powerful that most other decks don't have a chance. Or maybe dorfs and spies. Seems to depend on the play which deck they hate most.

According to the latest meta stats, Henselt is indeed the best NR leader. But even then he's sitting at ~48-49% winrate.
NR definitely has the lowest winrate of all 5 factions now.

NR has the blandest most boring character and vibe out of all factions, even monsters have more pizzaz. (especially with then new cards, sirens and moonlight and stuff.)

Their premium bronze soldiers look like idiots swinging their lame swords.

Their machines look uninspiring to say the least, and the art and general aesthetics of the faction don't appeal to me in the slightest.

Plus their play style requires little skill, a lot of thinning and spamming.

I scrapped every NR card i have ever got and would rather die then play as them.

All i collect are SK ST and NG.

I am one of those who plays NR in 4200+ and above and i must admit it is one of the hardest faction that exists.

Successful i am with decks, that are likely not expected by anyone:
1) mulligan & destroy (using Ciri: Dash and baron and plenty of destructive magic)
2) swarm
3) my beloved reaver deck

in current patch it seems swarming is the strongest. in the previous it was the reaver deck.
in any case those are just the arch-types. it took me littlerly weeks to figure out how to set them up so that they can prevail in top rankings (every card counts and you need to add a lot of neutrals to make them work). and actually i lost a LOT during creating them. (i currently got 1271 hours of playtime, more than i ever had for any other game and which is insane for an actually so repetitive card game. i think i got an addiction problem, please help me!! :) )

x1Cygnus;n10186672 said:
Ithey have no real R3 big finisher

And there you are wrong. With the addition of winch and the abiltiy of Henneke to put those machines back in the deck, you got Henselt as finisher. I regullarly pull out 3-4 machines with henselt. So that`s a huge point swing.

SoSaHer;n10193632 said:
g. With the addition of winch and the abiltiy of Henneke to put those machines back in the deck, you got Henselt as finisher. I regullarly pull out 3-4 machines with henselt. So that`s a huge
well but generally henselt is used at the beginning, in order to lighten out the deck. at least i found this way more successful

That`s not the way you should do it in this meta though. Now it goes like this.

1round: winch, winch, and which. Even draw Natalis to Winch, don`t got it? include royal degree. You need 3 winches out as fast as possible.
2round: Nenneke. You NEED this card. So you include reinforcment, ADC in you rdeck you ensure it.

With winch you only chose machine you got in your deck, witch nenneke you put them back later.

3 round: well done, you now enabled a henselt who can draw more machines than initially in your deck. Be wary against control decks. Be sure to have backup plans against them.

Last edited:
SoSaHer;n10193632 said:
And there you are wrong. With the addition of winch and the abiltiy of Henneke to put those machines back in the deck, you got Henselt as finisher. I regullarly pull out 3-4 machines with henselt. So that`s a huge point swing.

I went on to say exactly that in the same sentence....

SoSaHer;n10194572 said:
Ah my bad. English is not my first language and I didn`t read welll enough. Apologies

No problem - and I wasn't having a pop at you or anything, so no worries ;)

1round: winch, winch, and which. Even draw Natalis to Winch, don`t got it? include royal degree. You need 3 winches out as fast as possible.
2round: Nenneke. You NEED this card. So you include reinforcment, ADC in you rdeck you ensure it.

With winch you only chose machine you got in your deck, witch nenneke you put them back later.
this idea sounds interesting and i actually never had it, even if playing so long... (there we see there is always something to learn in gwent even after more than 1000 hours playing... )

on the other hand and at second thought it looks very unstable to me...

* is it really likely that you draw the machines that you need with winch? (since i assume you want to have with henselt exactly thee same later)
* also you must make sure that you get nenneke in 2 or 3 round.

so i find the idea interesting though, but can you really manage to survive with it at 2300k or more?

theoretically it should work with doublers also... i assume it is less successfull, cause henselt can only pull a certain type?

Top Bottom