POLL: Gwent in its current state as of January 2018

+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Answers are made public, the more participation the better. Poll ends Jan 31 2018.

I like playing Gwent in general. The main problem is the coin flip + spy abuse, aside from that, the game's fun.

Man sure they fucked up this patch but watching bug reaction on stream sure is fun. I'm sure this is Cdpr's way to make gwent enjoyable to watch. Hearthstone have rng, gwent have bugs. Gwent is now fun, Props to cdpr.

Wouldn't be playing the game if I didn't like it.

Yes, there are bugs around and yes, certain decks are really annoying to play against, but overall I find GWENT to be a lot of fun. I'd even go as far as saying that since Midwinter it's been a lot more fun than before with the new mechanic and cards -- despite the bugs. Shupe and Uma are two of the best specials of them all. :p
I don't do "tryharding", so the RNG factor isn't an issue for me.

Eh, I'm sure the developers will find a way to balance things out and to fix the glitches. People just like to blow things out of proportion. I certainly do get frustrated playing against the same decks over and over again though, that's for sure. Fortunately, that's nothing compared to how much fun it is to create decks that beat Dwarves and Nekkers.

This new update was the worst thing that happened to Gwent.
- Amazing trio card art removed
- Amazing lore names removed
- Card descriptions became inconsistent and confusing (radovid tooltip doesn't even mention that he can lock/unlock friendly units)
- Interesting cards simplified to the point of being boring to play (brokvar hunter)
- Animations became flashy and childish (flashy scorch, cookie crunch consume, purple energy ball when a vampire drains...especially the last one is like its straight out of dragonball Z. On what universe a vampire drains a unit by throwing a purple energy ball to it?)
- The new mulligan screen looks like something a 15 year old kid would draw. Zero depth and art on it. Early beta had better mulligan screen.
- Insane amount of bugs. They are so many, that scraping this midwinter clown fiesta of an update and just adding the new cards to the old, it would have been faster.
- With that many bugs and issues left to fix, i doubt we re gonna see a balance or content update any time soon. I would be surprised if thronebreaker arrive in 2018 instead of 19.

Last edited:
CDPR dont want to balance overpowered decks for > 1 month. So i hate gwent state atm. If I want play unbalanced childish game, I can launch hearthstone. So why should i have both on my PC?
Stop oversimplify game! Stop cutting card names, lore and game mechanic! I understand that mobile users are too dumb to play hard games where u need to think at least 5 seconds, but stop killing game for them! They already have toilet style games like heartstone.
Start balancing your game like it was before - IN LESS THAN 1 MONTH from failed patch

I still enjoy playing the game but I don't really want to get high on the ladder anymore. The upper tiers aren't fun anymore, they're just frustrating and annoying.

Still very much looking forward to Thronebreaker, since that was actually why I started playing Gwent in the first place. Really all of this is just a sideshow for me :D

But I'm glad it's a good, well developed sideshow, and I'm hopeful CDPR will get things ironed out and make it good during this year. My guess is they'll need six months or so to fully iron out the many issues that the midwinter patch introduced.

Raunbjorn

They butchered Skellige and brought its ress mechanic to ST to try to fix that faction. Gwent has got some of the worst balancing I've ever seen in a card game.
For 12 months they haven't tried to fix the coinflip once. Just make the one losing the coinflip have one more mulligan at least. It doesn't exactly solve the problem but it's a much better solution than not doing anything about it.
Control is completely dead atm - there's no reason to not spam dorfs since you will always get more points that way.
The trio art is removed and a lot of the flavor is gone. It's not a big deal to many but it was one of the cool things that made the game stand out. Something the game really needs if they wanna attract more people.
IMO the new animations look too childish/cartoonish/cute. Again, not a big deal to some but for me this is super important and is half the reason why I'm not playing Gwent right now.
No refund for cards that were nerfed including golds.
The meta is more stale than ever.

I could go on and on but I guess you get already. There are some on this forum who say that there are always guys like me who "complain" every time a new patch hits. Well FYI I haven't complained about pretty much anything pre Midwinter (feel free to check my posts). The reason I make these posts is because I really like this game. It's my favorite card game of them all. But I really dislike the new direction. That challenger event was a bittersweet moment for sure. Really cool event and then they showed some of the new stuff plus the UI and new animations and I just couldn't believe what they were doing with the game. After a year of testing they took a big u turn and if my posts on this forum can make even the tiniest difference making the Gwent get back on track then I've done my part.

Hydrahead, I am with you. However, it appears CDPR is appealing to the masses to increase the user-base. Dumbing down the card descriptions, making effects more JRPG cartoonish, and castrating complexity (which presents in so many ways after last patch) are all aimed towards getting the casual player into Gwent. It's a shame, really, because this direction is antithetical to The Witcher series.

RVG1926;n10241232 said:
This new update was the worst thing that happened to Gwent.
- Amazing trio card art removed
- Amazing lore names removed
- Card descriptions became inconsistent and confusing (radovid tooltip doesn't even mention that he can lock/unlock friendly units)
- Interesting cards simplified to the point of being boring to play (brokvar hunter)
- Animations became flashy and childish (flashy scorch, cookie crunch consume, purple energy ball when a vampire drains...especially the last one is like its straight out of dragonball Z. On what universe a vampire drains a unit by throwing a purple energy ball to it?)
- The new mulligan screen looks like something a 15 year old kid would draw. Zero depth and art on it. Early beta had better mulligan screen.
- Insane amount of bugs. They are so many, that scraping this midwinter clown fiesta of an update and just adding the new cards to the old, it would have been faster.
- With that many bugs and issues left to fix, i doubt we re gonna see a balance or content update any time soon. I would be surprised if thronebreaker arrive in 2018 instead of 19.

And the clown fiesta continues :

- After facing 2 decks other than dwarves, dwarves, dwarves, Alchemy, Dwarves, Dwarves, Dwarves, Alchemy, i stumble upon this :
https://i.imgur.com/1al11xV.jpg
A radovid with trial of the grasses....that WORKED on Kaedweni Cavalry?!? Wtf is going on?

- Then when i was going to win a game 2-0 vs Bran, this happens :
https://i.imgur.com/9BgtXAB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/seIwMgH.jpg
While my interent connection was perfectly fine...

CDPR fix and balance your broken game. It's been a month already. We suffered enough with this sloppy update during holidays...

I hate gwent in its current state
They are trying to copy Hs. It´s obvious. The new deck builder, which is so bad, is an exact copy. They have introduced massive RNG. They are reducing the complexity and the smart strategies to favor casual players, instead of make them learn. And this is only the begginning.

All I have to say is that I have not left Hs to play Hs. Understand it as you want. I dont think this game has much future.

Last edited:
I think the poll says it all. But alas they will keep changing things to invite new players for more money. The game has become one dimensional; and that means any 6 year old and his grandma can play it.

And that means any 6 year old and his grandma can spend their pocket money or pension.

And that means cash dolla.

After the horrific approach the development team have made the last few patches, I look forward to seeing what they do in the next patch more than anything, as that will dictate whether I actually uninstall the game or not. As I can barely muster to play more than one consecutive game these days. Where I used to mash ranked and play uber competitively.

You can see this everywhere, every streamer I watch seems to be genuinely frustrated when they play these days. Gwent, is no longer fun.

Shadow-Stalker;n10244292 said:
The game has become one dimensional; and that means any 6 year old and his grandma can play it.
And that means any 6 year old and his grandma can spend their pocket money or pension.
And that means cash dolla.

this

But if they think this is their way, they are not intelligent. The core of Gwent community are Witcher players and famous hard proplayers like Lifecoach or Swim. With this kind of things they are killing all of this, which means that in fact they are killing themselves.

Last edited:
I still like playing Gwent. It's just that I take it a lot less seriously, because that's just the state of the game right now. They will eventually fix all the bugs and similar performance issues. The thing that disappointed me the most this patch, is simplifying cards like Old Speartip, Trollolo, Morenn (Just why?), Shieldmaidens, etc. There are a lot more examples. The factions are starting to look more similar to each other because of the newly introduced cards, like Paulie, or because of changes to existing cards (a perfect example is that every faction now has 3 strength cards with muster effects - another huge 'why?'). Also, I would like them to stop powercreeping the bronzes, because the more they do that, the simpler the game will get. This game's vulnerability is brainless point dropping, and if such decks cannot be effectively countered with Igni, Hailstorm, hazards, they will just dominate the game.
Like I said, I still enjoy the game, but I generally think much less while playing simply because the game is pushing me in that direction. Not like I can put Ocvist in my deck and have success with it (And I tried it hard). But I care enough that I want to express my opinion on the matter. I guess I still believe that Gwent can be better than other card games.

As an extension of my previous comment and a result of a moderator choosing to close my own post.

Here:

So, the conversions I have with my friends about Gwent have long since declined from constructive somethings to just sharing bugs and other sh*t that isn't working properly/is op/shouldn't be in the game/etc.

Well, he just sent me two videos which are both beyond frustrating. Following the recent theme regarding my disappointment of the direction Gwent has taken I figured I'd share them.

The first example shows the one of many times that cards simply do not work:

https://youtu.be/heS9jmQaAHw

And the big feature of this whole post; which both confused and annoyed us both.

All because you can apparently no longer have two of the same silver cards on the board at once. This was news to us both, as it certainly wasn't in the patch notes, and certainly wasn't an issue before the latest patch.

Care to explain CDPR?

Edited: Right, thanks to whatever moderator informed me that they have actually changed Fake Ciri. Because I had absolutely no idea. She now has: 'deathwish, destroy the lowest unit on the row.'
Which brings me back to what I said earlier
Shadow-Stalker;n10244292 said:
The game has become one dimensional; and that means any 6 year old and his grandma can play it.
Why on earth is every single card now getting a '...But if...' Text to eradicate any form of counterplay or negative effect to running said card? The whole point in Gwent was that cards have weight to them and must be used correctly else they will punish YOU, the player, not your opponent.

Last edited:
Some guy just got Dwarf Leader into Hattori into Barcley into Paulie into dwarf that did 3 dmg and had 13 power... FFS.
Only a 31 point single combo play... and then he used Commander's Horn, cos he had so many units.
51 points in two plays.

Well... everyone is playing dwarves now. I have been playing Gwent since closed beta and now... it's time for a break until a new patch.

This
Is
Manure

alex.superapple;n10244982 said:
Some guy just got Dwarf Leader into Hattori into Barcley into Paulie into dwarf that did 3 dmg and had 13 power... FFS.
Only a 31 point single combo play... and then he used Commander's Horn, cos he had so many units.
51 points in two plays.

Well... everyone is playing dwarves now. I have been playing Gwent since closed beta and now... it's time for a break until a new patch.

This
Is
Manure

I have had the same done to me, as well (a few times). It seems to be a popular combo to pull-off. It's easy. It's brainless. There is no tactical savvy required, here; it's just a matter of crafting the cards and playing the faction. Finally, it reflects the current state of this game, which is point-spamming.

I'm what they call a Timmy/Johnny player, and the cuts to lore, names and -especially- UI really disappointed me.

In my humble opinion, you do not play Gwent only to spam dwarves or viper witchers.
You also want to enjoy the animated art you put on the board, recognize the details of names and characters from the Witcher universe, and generally feel the atmosphere you had while you played The Witcher series.

If not for the lore, many players would play other, more developed and well-structured CCGs.

By dumbing down the game they are making a dangerous mistake, because Gwent cannot compete with MtG or HS without the reason that makes it unique.

I still hope they'll revert the visuals and graphics (and names) for PC/Console versions, I still wish to hope this was a temporary and unavoidable setback.

Top Bottom