GWENT: Ask a Dev

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all thanks for reworking the reward system.
second of all under avatars imlerith (without helmet), yennefer (alternative look), Letho it says for players with a ranked play position from 1 to 10000.
its the same story with all the past seasons' base borders saying "for players reaching rank 10" and rank 15 border and rank 20 and so on. i'm not having any of them
i finished last season at around top 5k and i'm not having letho and i did hit rank 10 and 15 in all of previous seasons but don't have the borders.
either give out those avatars and borders or change their text back to what it was.
are these typo?

Last edited:
I've been playing this game for long time and I've always wondered if there's a level cap. On the rewards screen I can't go beyond 100 so what's why am asking. Also, will we ever get a level reset? Not like collection reset but just level.

My question is in two parts. Going forward are there any plans to introduce new cards at set intervals? (i.e x cards per month,) Or is it more likely to be addition as they become available?

Also, are there any plans to revisit the issue of gold immunities (whether with individual cards, or with golds as a whole?)

Finally, what kind of timeline can we expect on new faction additions?

BornBoring;n10441952 said:
Does the new monthly reward system mean, that every year at the same month there will be same rewards (avatars, borders+titles)?

If so, shouldn't players get the rewards retrospectively? For example if you've reached top 1000 in a season, players in the future will get the same rewards for reaching rank 10. This means all their hard work for reaching the top 1000 was completely worthless. If not now, players should at least get the updated rewards one year after the original season. Please, don't answer that I have a chance to get the rewards the next time they are available. Reaching top 1000 isn't easy and thanks to the 1 month seasons also very time consuming. If someone reaches position 1000 the next draconid season he gets this awesome great whyrm border and although I've been top 500 the last draconid season I don't get it. That's extremely unfair and that's why you should give the new rewards retrospectively (at least to the people, who reached top 1000, because it's way more difficult to repeat that compared to top 10,000 etc).

We want the avatars and borders to rotate and be obtainable again in the future. We're still evaluating the reward system - stay tuned for more information.

TAJULEK;n10442712 said:
Dear Gwent Developers, why are Nekkers so OP? I'd post it in the suggestions board but since I've just made an account to post it, I cannot.

There is a very popular combo that causes Nekkers to be eaten (giving usually +15 to the eater) and then they appear again, even stronger. This is pure nonsense, given that some monster decks are purely only nekkers, the eaters (or however you call it in English) and some other cards that duplicate the nekker cards quantity. This is so unbalanced, it would appreciated if you lokked into this.

Cheers

This is how the archetype works. Try countering this with Artifact Compression or Muzzle

thaneize;n10443202 said:
Sorry if that Question already came up here, but scrolling through 31 pages of questions seemed unreasonable to just ask a small question.

Are there plans for Mobile/Tablet versions on Android and iOS tablets in the not so distant future?

I understand that for phones you'd need to do a lot of redesigning for the very small displays, but especially tablets with more than 10" should be Gwent capable.
I play the PC version on a Surface Pro 3 (28 Months old). The touch controls work pretty fine already, only issues are the graphics quality/resolution and battery life. The iGPU in that Haswell-Chip (i5 4300U) has just enough power to render the game at 30 fps in 720p, but not more and it eats away about 10% battery per round, which is not quite outdoor friendly.

At the moment we're focusing on versions for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

TheNotoriousThree;n10448102 said:
Someone already made a post about this but I still want to ask you this: Why weren't the trinkets of the last season (month of the wolf) not given to players according to the new system, so the border starting at rank 10 etc? It makes alot more sense.

The reward system change is not retroactive.

firon90;n10448432 said:
My question is also about the new reward system.
I think the new distribution is great and I'm happy that I get another shot at my missed avatars. But now it seems that the rewards will be the same every year. That seems not very motivating, if you already got all the interesting stuff before. Are there plans for something completly new every season?

We're still evaluating the reward system, we'll share more information in the future.

alexandr22;n10448462 said:
Do you plan to make more cards with rng in the future ? I ask this because those cards are good for casual players but i loved the previous meta ( i can t explain in my poor vocabulary but i thonk you got this).
i want to know if gwent will became a rng fiesta or a strategy and skill game .

Some of the cards we're planning to introduce in the future will have RNG abilities. Cards like that are added mostly thinking of the new game mode that is coming soon. Other than that we're planning to keep GWENT a strategic and skill oriented game :)

xAmilx;n10449492 said:
I see a new title TYRANT. How do I unlock that?

Take part in faction challenges and support Monsters when they need you the most ;)

Remotis-Videntium;n10452382 said:
5th post - only reason i'm not starting a new topic.

Miruna needs a rework.

After the max minions on a row update, whatever, you know what i mean. after i play draug and fill a row or even if theres just 8 units on a row and play Miruna on that row her ability gets cancelled completely because "after two turns, charm the highest enemy on the opposite row on turn start"

- in short if the row shes put on is full shes completely useless.

shes already easily countered because of the 4 point, two turn... and gold immunity rework since she was released.

is shes getting an update to fit her into the new game?

That's part of the gameplay - make sure to have some space in the row where the enemy is supposed to be moved.

OG.laloquaint;n10461552 said:
I've been playing this game for long time and I've always wondered if there's a level cap. On the rewards screen I can't go beyond 100 so what's why am asking. Also, will we ever get a level reset? Not like collection reset but just level.

Yes, at the moment there is a level cap of 100. At the moment we're not planning to introduce level resets.

Hello devs! I have some questions regarding the board.

Since every unit is now agile, do the row symbols (melee, ranged, siege) serve any purpose? I mean don't they just get in the way of a cleaner look? Secondly, I would like to ask whether you are planning to make the board any bigger. I feel like there is a lot of real estate on the screen that could be used for optimal efficiency! Would that be something that you are looking into? (btw this would make the cards also bigger and thus their art more admirable).

Thanks and cheers!

Dear devs, is it possible to have a challenger type profile posted for various members of the team? Including items such as most played faction, favorite card, 'achievements' during internal tournaments?

Granted choosing a favorite card may be like choosing between your children but it'd be nice to get to know the team.

New to the game, having much fun in it as you all seemed to flesh out nicely over the few years it's been around. My question is:

Will the Attack, Ranged, Siege rows be more of a factor later on than just positioning?

That being said, I do like the freedom of being able to put any card on any of the rows. But lets say, a Soldier unit getting +1 on Attack row. Ranged unit getting +1 on Ranged row.. and Siege unit getting +1 on Siege row could make it more diverse in actually making more use of the rows. In short, correct unit position will provide a small boost. While at the same time the opponent is able to move or force the player to stick to a specific row where the units will not get that boost.

Hi there,

I have a question as a stock holder. How would you respond to a fact that GWENT started to lose likes of FB lately? Small amount but still ~10 people unliking game each day. Shall I worry and sell my stocks?

And gamewise question does GWENT have a balance team(I know you have, but are they competent)?

How do you see balance:
Francesca 7 points - swap one card for any card from deck (SWAP; the thing you do at the start of the round [added a little explanation if you do not know how your own game works]; the bad card for the possibility of a better card) and add 3 points to selected ANY card from deck.
Compared to:
Jan Calveit 5 points - see 3 top deck cards and play one.

So Francesca works like a get out of jail card allowing you to swap again bad card from hand and play anything you would like and need in hand right now - be it gold, silver or bronze and boost it additionally. And Calveit gives you RNG additional card to see top 3 cards which can be completely useless to player and play one without a boost.

Even blind would see there is complete lack of balance between these two. And this is just a tip of the mountain of bad card balances.

SynVolka;n10484352 said:
Hello devs! I have some questions regarding the board.

Since every unit is now agile, do the row symbols (melee, ranged, siege) serve any purpose? I mean don't they just get in the way of a cleaner look? Secondly, I would like to ask whether you are planning to make the board any bigger. I feel like there is a lot of real estate on the screen that could be used for optimal efficiency! Would that be something that you are looking into? (btw this would make the cards also bigger and thus their art more admirable).

Thanks and cheers!

We're constantly working on improving all aspects of the game. Recently we've prepared a slightly different version of the board for the Arena mode.

hydra66;n10488542 said:
Dear devs, is it possible to have a challenger type profile posted for various members of the team? Including items such as most played faction, favorite card, 'achievements' during internal tournaments?

Granted choosing a favorite card may be like choosing between your children but it'd be nice to get to know the team.

That's a nice idea! We'll think about doing something like that :)

mdkost;n10489232 said:
New to the game, having much fun in it as you all seemed to flesh out nicely over the few years it's been around. My question is:

Will the Attack, Ranged, Siege rows be more of a factor later on than just positioning?

That being said, I do like the freedom of being able to put any card on any of the rows. But lets say, a Soldier unit getting +1 on Attack row. Ranged unit getting +1 on Ranged row.. and Siege unit getting +1 on Siege row could make it more diverse in actually making more use of the rows. In short, correct unit position will provide a small boost. While at the same time the opponent is able to move or force the player to stick to a specific row where the units will not get that boost.

That's a very interesting idea, but we're not planning to introduce such mechanics at the moment.

1) In one of the dev streams I saw a new board, which is completely different to the one we have, with all the shadows in the corners etc and I gotta be honest I don't like it at all.

Will we be able to chose our own board? I would like to keep the current one.

2) I like the new lore friendly cards that will be included for the upcoming Arena Mode. Will we see more of that stuff in the future?

Last edited:
Dear Gwent Developers.
I'd like to ask you as someone that has been playing from CB and seen Wild Hunt in all its variation the following questions as i'm very curious to the mindset that lead the team to where WH is currently is:
1. Nithral has been repeatly changed since Frost was changed in weather patch many months ago, its current version is - i think - only worsen this card and don't do it justice. Why have you decided on its current vartion and what were the alternative choices you had when you decided to change this card in recent months. Now after 3-4 weeks since the latest hotfix, do you feel this card gain traction or perhaps it need to return to the drawing board?
2. Ilmerith design has not changed midst most latest patches and it remain one of the weakest FACTION golds in the game. Do you have plans to change it in the nearby future? If so, any ideas you toying with you can share with us?
3. Wild Hunt Warrior - With the buffing of bronzes that capable of reaching 15-16 points at some cases, Wild Hunt Warrior with its conditioning feels left behind. What your thoughts on that?
4. In general, i feel the Wild Hunt was somewhat neglected in recent patches, do you guys have plans to visit this archtype in the nearby future or you are happy where it is now?

I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding Wild Hunt in general as it is very dear to my heart and what attracted me to Gwent in first place

Yours respectfully,
Doomhammar

A couple of questions regarding graveyard interactions. Hope it is fine because all of them are directed akin.

Are you overall satisfied with your decision to enable ressurections for every faction?

Why is Slyzard not doomed like every other card that ressurects, is this an oversight or is this intended?

Will Iris eventually get the doomed tag? The Caretaker combo to play her twice was always problematic, because you don't have any sort of counterplay - especially now that Sigrdrifa can only ressurect Skellige units. In addition to that, what is the idea behind Wild Hunt Riders being out of Alzurs Thunder range, every other bronze card with an ongoing effect doesn't reach a base strength of more than 9 points.

Why are Slave Drivers and Elven Scouts not doomed?

Do you consider to restrict Hattori to ressurect only elves, for example. I don't think the intention while designing him was to ressurect Barclay Els and Dwarven Agitators - and now Elven Scouts as the third option - almost invariably, has that become the intention by now? Personally I think he is a pretty interesting card using the handbuff archetype and far from overpowered, disregarding the fact that he mainly ressurects the aforementioned three cards.

Will Vicovaro Medics become restricted somehow one day? At the moment they are stronger than Priestesses of Freya and Dimun Corsairs - two of the three Bronze Skellige ressurections, the former ressurection faction. Is it intended that you can chain-ressurect Vicovaro Novices with Ointment? Do you consider to alter Ointment in the way that it adds the Doomed tag to the ressurected unit like Restore does?

In the most recent dev stream while showcasing Yennefer: Necromancer you only talked about it being a pain in the ass for Skellige. I just want to mention that there are 65 non-Skellige Bronze and Silver Soldiers in the game and we don't need a Caretaker for two factions.

In my opinion Vernon Roche: Merciless and Geralt: Professional are horribly designed cards, will you add more of those cards aimed to see them played in the arena mode? Will you design more cards specifically for the arena mode in general?

Talking about the arena mode why did you chose such a generic name for it and didn't use the setting you established with Gaunter offering the player a bloody pact and the shady atmosphere and overview screen of the mode.

And one more niche question. Will we see a comeback of Effort and/or Brave? I thought those mechanics where great and they could still solve issues in designing and balancing cards, thus they would provide more design space.

TheNotoriousThree;n10527562 said:
1) In one of the dev streams I saw a new board, which is completely different to the one we have, with all the shadows in the corners etc and I gotta be honest I don't like it at all.

Will we be able to chose our own board? I would like to keep the current one.

2) I like the new lore friendly cards that will be included for the upcoming Arena Mode. Will we see more of that stuff in the future?

1) You probably mean the Arena version of the board? You will play on it only in the Arena mode. The board in the normal mode will not change.

2) Yes! Among the cards we will be adding in the future there will be cards of characters you know from The Witcher games and books.

Doomhammar1988;n10530192 said:
Dear Gwent Developers.
I'd like to ask you as someone that has been playing from CB and seen Wild Hunt in all its variation the following questions as i'm very curious to the mindset that lead the team to where WH is currently is:
1. Nithral has been repeatly changed since Frost was changed in weather patch many months ago, its current version is - i think - only worsen this card and don't do it justice. Why have you decided on its current vartion and what were the alternative choices you had when you decided to change this card in recent months. Now after 3-4 weeks since the latest hotfix, do you feel this card gain traction or perhaps it need to return to the drawing board?
2. Ilmerith design has not changed midst most latest patches and it remain one of the weakest FACTION golds in the game. Do you have plans to change it in the nearby future? If so, any ideas you toying with you can share with us?
3. Wild Hunt Warrior - With the buffing of bronzes that capable of reaching 15-16 points at some cases, Wild Hunt Warrior with its conditioning feels left behind. What your thoughts on that?
4. In general, i feel the Wild Hunt was somewhat neglected in recent patches, do you guys have plans to visit this archtype in the nearby future or you are happy where it is now?

I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding Wild Hunt in general as it is very dear to my heart and what attracted me to Gwent in first place

Yours respectfully,
Doomhammar

Hi! The archetype most likely needs more tools in order to be viable and I know there is a plan for this sometime in the future ;)

TV_JayArr;n10532842 said:
A couple of questions regarding graveyard interactions. Hope it is fine because all of them are directed akin.

Are you overall satisfied with your decision to enable ressurections for every faction?

Hi, we want to look into resurrection and graveyard interaction as a whole, there are some ideas for it, but nothing I can share at the moments since a lot of things are subject to change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you revert the recent change to enforcers that you claimed to be a bug? the change was not necessary as the spy deck was a tier 2 deck at best but now is completely unviable in this type of meta were everyone has removal and enforcers can't stick to board long enough due to their low basic stat. I don't see the Point in nerfing them since they were working fine, was balances and gave nilfgaard Another viable choice other than alchemy. It is fine to nerf op archetypes but not nerfing archetypes that is not tier 1 or op and maing them unviable, the Point of balance is to make the archetypes be viable but fair not make the only viable ones simple Point spam with no thought about strategy like elf spam and bears. Many people want Gwents balance team to acually put time into working on unviable or unfinished archetypes such as movement, moonlight, armor, while avoiding powercreeping spam archetypes.

Are there going to be balance changes soon? Everyone was expecting that with the new season.

Also, what is the situation with wardancer? Ronvid was changed so he would not come into play if you play "pass" and your opponent plays "pass", preventing you from winning the second round without playing any cards. Why is wardancer allowed to win you the second round unless the opponent plays something? People suggested giving Wardancer a ambush countdown of 1. Is this still being considered? Or are we doomed to have wardancer grant a whole card adventage when elves win the first round?

Good day, guys. Can u do smthng 'bout disconnects in this patch?? I've lost 3 arenas due to 7 discs almost in a row. I'm sure that i'm not the only one who's getting annoyed with disc's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom