Witcher 3 signposts meaning

+
This wraith from the World of the Witcher has a name "Nadal Hetero" written on the board (I'm not sure about D there). No idea what it's supposed to mean.

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9755621 said:
This wraith from the World of the Witcher has a name "Nadal Hetero" written on the board (I'm not sure about D there). No idea what it's supposed to mean.

Apparently "nadal" is Polish for 'still' or 'as before', and we all know what 'hetero' means. So maybe the wraith is making a statement?

These are really funny. (I'm not going to be able to play anymore without looking at a sign or poster without grinning. :))

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9742121 said:
The weird thing is, that text is written in the mirrored upside down fashion.

Texture issue maybe? I've noticed while modding TW1 than some textures are rendered upside down.

SMiki55;n9779121 said:
Texture issue maybe? I've noticed while modding TW1 than some textures are rendered upside down.

Could be, but I thought developers did it on purpose to hide it from their managers.

RidiculousName;n9755541 said:
I downloaded the font in question for Word, and discovered that it doesn't have a couple letters of the alphabet. 'W' was one those missing ones (unless I'm misremembering), so that might explain the use of 'yu'.

Yep, very likely. That's probably also why "wanted" posters for Triss and Philippa say "Anted" instead of "Wanted":

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9783451 said:

Hehe... one missing letter makes a huge (or tiny, depending on how you look at it) difference. Makes it sound like an army of ants has been sent after Triss and Philippa.

This thread is really turning into a gold mine of cool information. I bet there are still plenty of texts to be found and "translated", too. :D

Also, reward for finding Anna and Tamara on their posters is 1000 orens, while the caption doesn't mention it :)

Missing
Anna
1000 orens reward

RidiculousName;n9783551 said:
This thread is really turning into a gold mine of cool information. I bet there are still plenty of texts to be found and "translated", too. :D

The harder exercise would be decoding elven tombstones.

RidiculousName;n9755541 said:
I downloaded the font in question for Word, and discovered that it doesn't have a couple letters of the alphabet. 'W' was one those missing ones (unless I'm misremembering), so that might explain the use of 'yu'.

Actually, if you examine the font, you can see that it contains letter Otu (it's analog of Greek Omega) that matches W visually, and was used for it in the graffiti above. But it's not available on the keyboard layout, and probably artists who made the posters didn't think of adding it manually.

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9783581 said:
The harder exercise would be decoding elven tombstones.

Well yes, because we don't know the font/alphabet used in them. I certainly doesn't look like Glagolitic - and it would only make sense for them to be in a different font/alphabet since they are Elven tombstones.

I checked my book that has several different alphabets listed, but no match.
Need to investigate via different means later, unless someone solves the mystery while I'm gone. :p

Last edited:
RidiculousName;n9783631 said:
Well yes, because we don't know the font/alphabet used in them. I certainly doesn't look like Glagolitic.

I suspect it is Glagolitic, except it's cursive. I posted about it above in the thread. It's not an exact match to that sample, but it's pretty close to be able to decode it. I'll try for some letters, may be it will help reconstructing the rest.

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9783681 said:
It is Glagolitic, except it's cursive. I posted about it above in the thread. It's not an exact match to that sample, but it's pretty close to be able to decode it.

I saw that post, peered at the tombstone image, and was unable to find any noticeable similarities. Looked at it again, saw one or maybe two similarities (namely the one that looks like an Yrden sign).
Might look at it once more when I have more time.

RidiculousName;n9783701 said:
I saw that post, peered at the tombstone image, and was unable to find any noticeable similarities. Looked at it again, saw one or maybe two similarities (namely the one that looks like an Yrden sign).
Might look at it once more when I have more time.

What's similar is style, and some letters match, but many don't. They could for example make their own cursive on purpose, using Glagolitic as a base :)

Another thing about those elven tombstones; since that one graffiti was in Polish, the tombstones might be as well. That complicates matters, as we don't even know which language the text will translate into.

I managed to decipher the first tombstone (except for a few symbols), but now the Permic letters need to be converted to Latin ones.

an bur gai doi e zhoi dzhoi zata
nenoe vooi ? rei sii tai u chery
o oo ef ha tsiu ver ? yeri
? koke lei menoe peei ? rei
shooi shchooi yry yeru ha gai
chery ie ef peei oo ? yat
dzhoi vooi shooi peei o ? zata zhoi

Top Bottom