[MOD] The Butcher Of Blaviken - Lore Friendly Geralt

+

Guest 3841499

I know redfur files are like config files for HairWorks. They can be used to disable/nullify parts of HairWorks. For example, the mod "HairWorks on everyone, but Geralt" is done by disabling HairWorks for Geralt through redfur files. Then, if you enable HairWorks all the way (highest setting of 2 I think), you get HW on monsters, horses, but not Geralt. The same can be done to parts of Geralt. For example, I use a mod that disabled Geralt's HW Hair, but not the Beard! The result is awesome because, much better than HW hair on Geralt with pony tail haircut.

I think the same files have other configuration properties, like adding wind influence, but alas, I could not figure out where such settings are located. Normally, you can simply add "windInfluence" parameter to FX w2p files, but not with redfur files. I think redfur files are also responsible for HW quality, interpolation, etc. I mean its RedFur - Red because of CDPR and Fur because of HW :) (yes, today I am Captain Obvious)..

Excellent mods here - https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2123/? - enable wind effects on animals' HW . You can try to compare that mod's redfur files with vanilla ones to find out what changed

Guest 3841499

Which mod can you not unpack? You only need QuickBMS to unpack...

Guest 3841499

EDIT: Here's a temporary link with all QuickBMS stuff - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dlzm5gRzBwx8n39ItKXuXcePozg3ik5e/view?usp=sharing

Do you use ModKit 1.3 with patched WCC LITE file? There should be no problems uncooking those texture mods, but uncooking does not get you all the files (like redfur files) within bundle packages, which is why QuickBMS is used. You download the latest from here - http://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm - I use the 4GB one with 0 issues. You double-click on the QBMS exe file, then you select Witcher 3 script file that you can find there (somewhere...) and then select the bundle file you want to unpack. Do notice - unPACK and unCOOK are not the same. Meshes you unPACK with QBMS are compressed and cooking them will fail and not produce buffer files either. UnPACKED XBM texture files (2-3KB in size) are simply placeholders signaling that there's texture.cache for that bundle that holds (or should hold) textures with the same name. If QuickBMS actually unpacks XBM with TGA texture files, then that mod was not properly COOKED for whatever reason and in such a case you should fix that by COOKING it. For example, the NitPicker's Patch is not well cooked with about 3 textures PACKED instead of COOKED. In the long run, when you have many mods that only PACK textures that should have been COOKED, you get loss of performance, slow load times, blurry loading, etc. That's my "specialty" - cooking/uncooking, packing/unpacking, and of course merging.

QuickBMS is useful for meshes because you can unPACK meshes, violate their properties/parameters in W3Edit and rePACK them, without having to reCOOK them, which would likely fail if those meshes were properly violated (LOD removal, for example).

QuickBMS will also extract files, like redfur, templates, etc. that at times cannot be unCOOKED with W3 Oven.

It may sound confusing, but it is not. It took me weeks to figure it out due to lack of proper guides/documentation. After figuring these things out, my attempt to create such a guide resulted in "wall of text poster - not going to read" attitude...

MonarchX i appreciated that guide :). Just alot of people are little whinny kids so you just ignore the bad apples. Usually the good/kind people are just more silent and dont comment as much:p

Last edited:
wow Thanks Monarchx

another question

how can I cook redfur files with TBOB textures? w3oven see the redfur files? or do I have to use two different mods for redfur and texture files?

finally (after a lot of work>.>) I managed to find a perfect combination for Geralt's maps for body and face .... they increase the skin's realisticity .. I did not think I could reach such a result it's not the final version .. I'm still working on the maps;)

now the direct sun on the skin causes reflections of light (due to paler skin than the vanilla version) ...

The image below was made at the same time (game time) with and without the new maps

P.S I have to decide whether to leave as it is or to slightly decrease the reflections caused by the sun.
give your feedback :)

Last edited:
with slightly reduced reflections(-10% approximately) .. it seems great :) what do you think?(maybe another -10%?)

Last edited:
Yeah, another 10% reduction would be welcome, he looks kinda wet in the face and torso currently. Also a question: Will there be a newer White Wolf version? I really liked that one!

the details make the difference for TBOB :) (gif animated)

next Fix (image with the vanilla version): problem caused by the pixellated neck

Last edited:
Cercaphus;n9982041 said:
The first picture is vanilla ambient map for geralt body, yes?

no, this is already modified, but I have made an improvement (in the improvement) XD

the abdominals in the presence of strong light appeared excessively clear, even with the new map (by me), so I have correct the problem at the source ;)

Guest 3841499

Denroth;n9981611 said:
the details make the difference for TBOB :) (gif animated)

next Fix (image with the vanilla version): problem caused by the pixellated neck

What does that green paint do?

said in simple words ...

the various shades of red reflect more light in game (the darker, the more light reflects), the shades of orange reflect light slightly ... green should be the shadowy zone with very few reflections(or zone for maximum reflection) .. but of course I will do more extensive tests;)

Last edited:
Zoom out Spoiler

finally the map for Striga Scar :) If before you liked my Striga Scar now with 1.7 you can not do without :)

Just asking (because I'm really not sure) but I imagine the three, circular scars in a diagonal across Geralt's chest represent where he was stabbed with the pitchfork. Should those be painted out? (I'm not 100% sure my timeline is right.)

Top Bottom