Witcher 3: Inventory bug/crash

+
Witcher 3: Inventory bug/crash

Hey CDPR, first of all - wanted to THANK YOU for the this incredibly awesome game, i can't discribe how much i'm enjoying it right now, just pure awesomness in all of the aspects. The combat is a big surprise, Geralt now has a stance (that changes after step back or forward), he's finally efficient and agile, the techniques he's using are totally make sense - he's fast, he's effective, but he's not the superman and can be overwhelmed by enemies, so battles requires tactic and thought into it. Also characters have some "weighty" feel -and i LOVE IT.

But i have a problem, namely that game crashes randomly in the inventory screen, It's just freezes and then after couple of minutes game crashes. It happens when i'm trying to read a document/book switching potions or just to take any actions in inventory screen. Anything can be done to avoid it? It would be great if there's solution.
Thank you!

my solution

But i have a problem, namely that game crashes randomly in the inventory screen, It's just freezes and then after couple of minutes game crashes. It happens when i'm trying to read a document/book switching potions or just to take any actions in inventory screen. Anything can be done to avoid it? It would be great if there's solution.
Thank you!

I could make the game not crashing out in the inventory by starting it from my game folder ( E:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\x64 ) starting
the witcher3.exe in administrator mode via right-clicking on it but not with editing the exe to automatically start it in administrator mode cause thats bugged in windows (both in my 7 and 8.1 windows versions) radeon 290 latest drivers win 8.1 NOT RUNNING GOG GALAXY just for patching then turning it off

Well, starting exe file in admin mode is not helping, game still freezing randomly when im in inventory screen ^( This is ***** annoying
Help wanted

Well, starting exe file in admin mode is not helping, game still freezing randomly when im in inventory screen ^( This is ***** annoying
Help wanted
There is no cure for this problem so far. But try to change in Option menu FPS to Unlimited.
And wait for official patch!

Apparently many people are having this issue. There's a (currently) 21 page thread about freezing in the inventory screen. It happens to me repeatedly, and has caused me to lose a couple of pieces of gear (find special loot, look at the stats, game freezes, kill process and restart, special gear no longer in the same location).
They'll patch it, just not sure when CDPR has always been great about tech support on these games.

What bugger me most is the lack of any answers from developpers? I thought they cared..now not so sure..; THe game is good yes but to the expense of stability

What bugger me most is the lack of any answers from developpers? I thought they cared..now not so sure..; THe game is good yes but to the expense of stability
Actually they got some answers regarding crashing/freezing bugs. So far we know that these bugs are top priority and they are trying to fix them asap. Still no info about release time/day of possible quickfix.

I never had crashes in the inventory. I'm curious to know if one experience this problem could it help if one alters the game's priority to High in Windows Task Manager?

The game is practically unplayable for me. I'm actually afraid to open my inventory because I get a crash about 50% of the time...

Changed my FPS to Unlimted and it completely removed the inventory crashing.
It also created a graphical crashing issue :)

The same situation is true for me. I am also afraid of opening the Inventory. Especially when reading books or other stuff it freezes. I always quicksave with F5 before I open the inventory. Apart from that it works fine. I am not sure if its a driver error of my NVIDIA. Could you please support us to make the game perfect instead of only great?

Are people still having this crash ?

My game runs very stable except this thing and it is frustrating, the game randomly crashes if I open the inventory screen using I key. Surprisingly it doesn't crash if I first use backspace to go in general menu and then select inventory from there or I have been lucky using this method but please fix this. I have tried everything like setting fps to unlimited, disabling in game vsync, installing GPU drivers from the scratch but it's still there. I hope v1.07 brings a fix to this.

Are people still having this crash ?

My game runs very stable except this thing and it is frustrating, the game randomly crashes if I open the inventory screen using I key. Surprisingly it doesn't crash if I first use backspace to go in general menu and then select inventory from there or I have been lucky using this method but please fix this. I have tried everything like setting fps to unlimited, disabling in game vsync, installing GPU drivers from the scratch but it's still there. I hope v1.07 brings a fix to this.

Still having this issue with my radeon 7800 HD on Windows 10. Everything is running smothly on high graphic settings except when I open my inventory on get in the shop menu. I usually start seeing graphic artifacts after about a minute of scrolling in the menus, making my GPU drivers crashe and then, the game itself right to desktop. Hoped to be able to play more or less uninterrupted once 1.07 got out, to my great dispointment. I tried reparing .net 4.5, the game, replacing my drivers by the 2 later versions, tried almost every possible graphics config in game. Nothing works. I'm thinking of trying on windows 7. Or even getting a refund if possible since I sunk more hours trying to find a workaround than playing the game itself since I bought it about 3 weeks ago. This game is incredible in so many ways CDPR, please a little help here!

Still having this issue with my radeon 7800 HD on Windows 10. Everything is running smothly on high graphic settings except when I open my inventory on get in the shop menu. I usually start seeing graphic artifacts after about a minute of scrolling in the menus, making my GPU drivers crashe and then, the game itself right to desktop. Hoped to be able to play more or less uninterrupted once 1.07 got out, to my great dispointment. I tried reparing .net 4.5, the game, replacing my drivers by the 2 later versions, tried almost every possible graphics config in game. Nothing works. I'm thinking of trying on windows 7. Or even getting a refund if possible since I sunk more hours trying to find a workaround than playing the game itself since I bought it about 3 weeks ago. This game is incredible in so many ways CDPR, please a little help here!

I finally managed to fix it by setting Vsync to "application controlled" in Nvidia Control Panel and turn on Vsync in game. FPS set to unlimited.

In your case it will be Catalyst Control Center where you should set Vsync to "application controlled".

Also version 1.07 fixed game's own Vsync so it feels a lot more smooth now, no need to force it through NCP or CCC.

Hello,

BEST PS4 PRO SOLUTION FOR INVENTORY CRASH

Yesterday the problem happened to me again. After start a New Game +, when I arrived Crow´s Perch, I went to the blacksmith repair my set of GrandMaster griffin and swords, and the problem of
Crash it happened to me again.
What I do to solve this problem is the following: after the game crashed, start the game normally ... continue ... loading and you're in the game again, pause the game, click save game and delete all automatically saved games, after deleting all, manually save the game.
Now let's go to the inventory: open the inventory, do not put the selector on any witcher master item (green color) if witcher items are already equipped you select any item in your inventory (equipment other than witcher) and press L3 to hide the letters, after hiding the letters, try to remove and re-equip master witcher items (always with the letters hidden to remove and equip master witcher equipment)
do not try to hide the letters from the witch master equipment, the game will crashed, You have to hide the letters with another item, other than master witcher. if you do not have the witch master items equipped, make the same, select any item and hide the letters then equip the witcher items, always with the letters hidden.
I did not realize it, but it seems to me that I always go to the blacksmith of the crow´s perch repair the master witcher set the game crashed. I'll look at this again and come back to warn you.
With this solution I can play always, whenever you game crash , you can do this and return to play without crash.
Hope this helps!!!

PSN ID: MaiconYKZ

MaiconYKZ;n10480882 said:
Hello,

BEST PS4 PRO SOLUTION FOR INVENTORY CRASH

Yesterday the problem happened to me again. After start a New Game +, when I arrived Crow´s Perch, I went to the blacksmith repair my set of GrandMaster griffin and swords, and the problem of
Crash it happened to me again.
What I do to solve this problem is the following: after the game crashed, start the game normally ... continue ... loading and you're in the game again, pause the game, click save game and delete all automatically saved games, after deleting all, manually save the game.
Now let's go to the inventory: open the inventory, do not put the selector on any witcher master item (green color) if witcher items are already equipped you select any item in your inventory (equipment other than witcher) and press L3 to hide the letters, after hiding the letters, try to remove and re-equip master witcher items (always with the letters hidden to remove and equip master witcher equipment)
do not try to hide the letters from the witch master equipment, the game will crashed, You have to hide the letters with another item, other than master witcher. if you do not have the witch master items equipped, make the same, select any item and hide the letters then equip the witcher items, always with the letters hidden.
I did not realize it, but it seems to me that I always go to the blacksmith of the crow´s perch repair the master witcher set the game crashed. I'll look at this again and come back to warn you.
With this solution I can play always, whenever you game crash , you can do this and return to play without crash.
Hope this helps!!!

PSN ID: MaiconYKZ

Color me intrigued. :)

Can you provide some instances where this has been effective? As in: can you describe which specific items you interacted with when you experienced a crash? If what you're describing worked on more than one occasion, it may be a sign that the item description data, and not the item itself, is what's actually causing the exception / crash in the engine. By hiding the descriptions and restoring the game...I'm not sure what that affects in the inventory system...but it must be resetting / refreshing something about either the items themselves, the descriptions data, or the way the items are recorded in the save-state.

I think you may be on to something here...

I also get random crashes to desktop when entering my inventory. The game is borderline unplayable because of that -- have to quicksave before using inventory. I'd say the crash chance is around 10%.

Witcher 3 GOTY
PC - Nvidia 1070, latest drivers, 16gb ram, win7 x64 ultimate

This bug existed 3 years ago, and it's still not fixed?

Amazing. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of logic error is your inventory code to cause this.

Last edited:
@daemonjax

There is no overall issue with the inventory. I've played through the game nearly 5 times, and I've never had a single inventory issue. The problems mainly arise due to:

1.) Mods or mod-related issues.

2.) Players that keep large numbers of duplicate items in their inventories for long periods of time (especially runestones / glyphs).

3.) Players that have updated their game multiple times during the same playthrough.

4.) Those that are very unlucky and the game manages to spawn a random item with exactly the same itemID as something that's already in your inventory. (This will cause a crash, but reloading an earlier save and playing again should fix this.)

If you're looking for help, we'll need some more details of your situation. (Just be aware that once an inventory issue arises, you may need to restore a much earlier save to work around it.)

Top Bottom