FP VS TP - perspective matters

+

What perspective do YOU want in CP game ?

• FP- First person

Votes: 300 22.9%
  • TP- Third person

Votes: 457 34.9%
  • I must play TP- I have motion sickness GIVE as choice !

Votes: 99 7.6%
  • I do not care

Votes: 131 10.0%
  • I want both!

Votes: 323 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is this so difficult for some people to understand?:

-We know the game will be mostly in first person
-We know what first person perspective plays like
-We know what first person perspective feels like
-We've played first person games before

Honestly, I have no idea how the whole "you have to see/try it first in order to judge it" argument seems even remotely relevant here.
first person in Call of Duty is an entirely different feeling than in Mirror's Edge or Dying Light. You have no idea what this is going to be like

Nobody here complains that there will be awful gameplay, people just want to see their characters... :(
Thank you. The large majority of concerns I've seen over this issue have been about viewing the created character, and some regarding melee combat. No one's doubting 2077's overall gameplay, or the quality of the game as a whole. So no, not the biggest deal in the world. But CDPR has been very open about wanting to hear feedback while they're still at a point in development where they can make significant improvements. That's what E3 season is for, and that's what they can find here.

Guest 3573786

Actually, yes, they have confirmed working mirrors. They've stated that we'll be able to see our character in reflected in mirrors and, IIRC, some screens/environmental conditions (I'm guessing water).
Which means they already have or will have on launch - most of TP animations for our character.
I'm finding it harder and harder to understand the justification behind this whole thing...:censored:

Hmm - How do you know these cut scenes are only occasional? Do not forget that the dialogue is in 3th person also!

We are talking about an RPG here!. That means lots of cut scenes, and lots of dialogue. It's the "bread and butter" of RPG's! It's "only" the fighting/walking (and stealth and crawling trough "whatever they designed") that is in first person. You will see your character even more often in 3th person than you could imagine now. That's what I predict.

For those who don't have the motion sickness problem, a couple of gameplay trailers showing some of the conversation with dialog and cut scenes will go a long way towards alleviating the "I want to see my character" concerns.

I imagine that CDPR already had plans on releasing a couple of those to calm the folks who are concerned that it's going to be a FPS with RPG elements instead of an RPG with FPS elements. So if they can accelerate their plans to show us more of the RPG side, it'll probably kill two birds with one stone to a certain extent.

I don't think it will FULLY satisfy everyone, but at the very least it will give a bit more detail on how they're planning on implementing their vision.

You realize when rockstar added first person they did it in an entirely new version of the game? That took 2 years to develop? And Bethesda animations are half assed, it's not hard for them to add both. CDPR has a higher standard
I do but what sells better TPS or FPS, TPS which is why Rockstar went that route, and you can be certain that RDR2 is going to have both implemented from the start

TPP is what provides the best immersion.

That's YOUR opinion. And it's valid FOR YOU.

Idk looks like Rockstar and Bethesda seem to accommodate all their Fans. But CDPR had to alienate half? makes no sense to me. I thought they wanted to be more like Rockstar? seems they wanted to be more like Disney.

Half? Really? Are all the fans on this forum? Did all of them vote?

Oh come on, people, stop with hyperbole and drama already! Jeez... "half their fans"... CDPR is the new EA, we are all DOOOOMED!
Prolly you only tried to make a joke. But with this kind of sick support we have created those greedy gaming companies out there. It all started from us!! I have put my trust in CDPR since 2012 when we heard first about Cyberpunk2077 and that trust when to another level with Witcher 3. All I can say it that it will be an epic game, even in 1st person and I know I am not the only one who agrees with this.

Why is this so difficult for some people to understand?:

-We know the game will be mostly in first person
-We know what first person perspective plays like
-We know what first person perspective feels like
-We've played first person games before

Honestly, I have no idea how the whole "you have to see/try it first in order to judge it" argument seems even remotely relevant here.
Yes, Deus Ex, Metro 2033, and PUBG are all FPP and feel exactly the same. Oh wait that makes no sense because the mechanics of the game absolutely do matter.
I do but what sells better TPS or FPS, TPS which is why Rockstar went that route, and you can be certain that RDR2 is going to have both implemented from the start
Ah yes, like the very financially unsuccessful Call of Duty games.

first person in Call of Duty is an entirely different feeling than in Mirror's Edge or Dying Light. You have no idea what this is going to be like
Exactly. Dying Light was an insanely good game played from 1st person. Created cool vibes and tremors not knowing what's behind you constantly.

I just went through the thread and it really sucks that there are people that have problems to play FP games, but jesus some of these comments are really over-the-top like stating "depression" because of this, or that this decision is like a betrayal of some sort, a slap on the face.

Are we forgetting that this is CD Projekt Red? they LISTEN to the fans, if they think that the FP option was the best one is for something, but they listen to the fans on top of all, they stated yesterday in this thread that they are reading and taking feedback about the TPP matter.

There is proof indeed. No one is baiting an eye about FPP but some people. It's a vocal minority if you think that millions want to play this game and only a couple of thousands are asking for TPP.

No, only they are taking the trouble to be here on the forum and answering the poll. Neither you, nor I, have any idea what the millions of other people are thinking. We can't go and ask each and every single one of them their opinion and whether the decision made them want to play the game more or less than before.

That's why polling works with what they hope are representative samples of a larger whole.

So the only evidence we have is the poll. That's why you can argue that the poll's sample is biased, but you can't expand that argument to claim you know for a fact that the people who prefer TPP are the "vocal minority".

Folks who prefer FPP should not assume that everyone who isn't taking the time to come here, answer the poll, and participate in the debate agrees with them.

Each decision is in itself a division. CDPR made its decision to support the game they want to create and this is perfectly fair. Many of us having played all others CDPR games (that are in TP) had different expectations and we were wrong in having them. I'm not going to argue on what perspective is better as this is highly subjective but not certainly a minor feature that one should ignore actually it is a big one which change the perspective of the entire game.

For those of you like me who are disappointed by this the only logical course of action is not forcing CDPR to change its artistic view (which would be bad) but instead sincerely asking ourselves if we are still interested in this product. I do not have a definitive answer on this yet but I'm starting to develop my mind towards a negative answer to this question.

We shall see if I feel that what is offered is matching my gaming tastes. I have absolutely no doubt that regardless of this CDPR will deliver a great experience though not the one that I and many other want.

In my opinion, the game definitely needs to offer both perspectives if they hope to be very successful.

I'm likely to use FPP during combat but at all other times I greatly prefer to use TPP. If I were locked into FPP the entire time it would be very disappointing.

Let me begin this post by saying I am a huge fan of CD Projekt Red, I own all Witcher games and expansions, I have played the standalone trading card game Gwent, where I purchased kegs for God knows how much real-world currency. I will admit that, personally, first person(FP) is a perspective that does not appeal to me in video games, but regardless, I will buy Cyberpunk 2077 for CD Projekt Red despite my dislike of the perspective. I will make the purchase because of their exemplary consumer friendly practices in regards to DRM and microtransactions as I believe the gaming industry is incredibly lucky to have CD Projekt Red be part of it.

I know that a lot of people have posted in regards to the first person perspective of the game(FP), and that a lot of people, including me, have expected the game to be in third person (TP).
As fans with technical expertise in software engineering or hardware engineering have posted a variety of technical reasons for why the decision of the game only being FP has been taken, I would like to apologise in advance for my lack of knowledge and naivete that I might show when discussing this matter. I am by no means knowledgeable in those fields of study.

I understand that the studio has a vison, for their game, and that their vison of the world, story, characters, level design and combat is theirs and theirs alone. I respect their decisions and from reading responses posted here on the forums I might come to understand them even better, however, I do have some issues.

My main issue is that many fans of Cd Projekt Red have known them particularly for their outstanding work in the award-winning Witcher series, that are played from a third person perspective, and perhaps, be it their fault or not, have come to expect that the game will be a RPG in TP and not FP.
Although I understand the studio’s reasons for choosing FP are due to their vison of the world, or due to technical reasons, as part of games development, I do not understand their lack of communication with fans on the front of making such a fundamentally important decision such as a locked FP perspective before entering the development of the game.
Surely, the backlash of this decision could have been prevented if there would have been better communication between the studio and its fan base. Before starting the development of the game and making technical and level design decisions tied to the FP perspective, a poll for question about combat ideas and preferred perspective for players could have been forwarded to fans in a post on various social media. Making the decision of locked first-person perspective could have a drastic impact on the sales of the game. I have known many friends who were in full-hype mode after the trailer that have went from complete joy to a solid no-buy attitude simply because of the FP perspective.

Surely, there could have been a prediction that this fundamental decision would divide the player base, resulting in less purchases or dissent among fans as to why this decision was taken.
As I have read on the forums about the verticality of the game, and how implementing a TP(third person) perspective so late in the development of the game can cause issues with both camera and immersion, I understand if the studio decides not to make such a decision as not implementing a TP(third person) perspective no matter how fervently a portion of the player base would want it.

I would love it, if, in the future, CD project Red would consult on what player experience fans would want before making such key decisions, as it would help them get a better understanding on what type of experience their target audience would prefer and base decisions on those statistics and percentages before beginning the actual development.
As said at the beginning, I love CD Projekt Red, and I will purchase Cyberpunk 2077 for their outstanding consumer friendly practices as I believe they are a shining light in the gaming industry, I will gift my copy to a friend who enjoys FP, I, however, no matter how much I love CDPR, and no matter how much I love the world of Cyberpunk, I cannot play first person(FP) because of personal taste, and how much I dislike the perspective. I am sorry to end this so melancholic. I will, in the future, always keep an eye out for future CDPR projects, if they are third person, turn based, or strategy, as those are my main interests. I wish them the best of luck with Cyberpunk 2077 and I hope they take as much time in development as needed.

With great respect,
A loving fan

CDPR is best company in gaming industry with worst community in thier games, no wonder why greedy companies like EA still doing good while cdpr getting shit for making best games for fair price. Seems like average gamer is not to smart

I just went through the thread and it really sucks that there are people that have problems to play FP games, but jesus some of these comments are really over-the-top like stating "depression" because of this, or that this decision is like a betrayal of some sort, a slap on the face.

Are we forgetting that this is CD Projekt Red? they LISTEN to the fans, if they think that the FP option was the best one is for something, but they listen to the fans on top of all, they stated yesterday in this thread that they are reading and taking feedback about the TPP matter.
I agree about them taking always feedback...but this means...2-3 more years delay... by the time the game gets released I will be dead lolz.... because of peeps not being happy about 1st person:)

Ah yes, like the very financially unsuccessful Call of Duty games.
lol no COD game is the top 10 list. first one is at 16, games before it GTA SA, GTA V, PUBG and Skyrim. ALL TPS Games. i dont count the other games listed as they are a completely different genre and style, and COD are shooters we are talking about RPGS herre. whats the best? FC5? Less than 5 million sales? thats an ambition goal lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom