FP VS TP - perspective matters

+

What perspective do YOU want in CP game ?

• FP- First person

Votes: 300 22.9%
  • TP- Third person

Votes: 457 34.9%
  • I must play TP- I have motion sickness GIVE as choice !

Votes: 99 7.6%
  • I do not care

Votes: 131 10.0%
  • I want both!

Votes: 323 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's YOUR opinion. And it's valid FOR YOU.

Half? Really? Are all the fans on this forum? Did all of them vote?
The poll is obviously more likely to draw fans of TP in an effort to ask for changes. With that said, if any CDPR forum sees over 60% of its participants asking for the opposite perspective or some inclusion of both, that's not something to be ignored. The most irritated group thus far seems to be those defending FP as if they've been personally insulted by fair and honest suggestions.

Can't speak for everyone, and yea some are just complaining. But most of us are right to have questions when your first significant reveal shows a beautiful character with arm blades, and your second says we won't actually see her. One second we're thinking Warframe with a Witcher-caliber story/world, next second we're being told FPS. The fan reactions aren't some big mystery when you take that into account.

Guest 3573786

Yes, Deus Ex, Metro 2033, and PUBG are all FPP and feel exactly the same. Oh wait that makes no sense because the mechanics of the game absolutely do matter.
Cant tell if guys are serious or not but in case you are - I'm talking about perspective and in that, games that are in first person are the same.

CDPR is best company in gaming industry with worst community in thier games, no wonder why greedy companies like EA still doing good while cdpr getting shit for making best games for fair price. Seems like average gamer is not to smart

Damn man. You need to check out a few other communities if you think CDPR's is the worst. This thread's been pretty tame mostly.

There's been some heat here and there in this thread, but I've seen far worse in other communities. It's probably also the community at it's very worst: after a very controversial decision is revealed very late in the design process.

I imagine there was a similar flare up when it was announced that Cyberpunk 2077 would include multiplayer. (Another decision that I wasn't to thrilled about.)

Cant tell if guys are serious or not but in case you are - I'm talking about perspective and in that, games that are in first person are the same.
You claimed that you know how the game will feel. It's like if I said all TPP games feel the same, I would rightly be mocked because it doesn't make sense.

CDPR is best company in gaming industry with worst community in thier games, no wonder why greedy companies like EA still doing good while cdpr getting shit for making best games for fair price. Seems like average gamer is not to smart
What do you mean? :unsure:

I agree. If a company were to reach out to their community, see what the problem is, then do something to fix it, then they would have more respect from me than if they had never made a mistake in the first place.
What if they haven't made any mistakes ? We haven't seen the game yet

FPP worked for Deus Ex, I don't know why it wouldn't work here. Adding player character animations and camera for TPP? How far back do you want to push this game?

Let me begin this post by saying I am a huge fan of CD Projekt Red, I own all Witcher games and expansions, I have played the standalone trading card game Gwent, where I purchased kegs for God knows how much real-world currency. I will admit that, personally, first person(FP) is a perspective that does not appeal to me in video games, but regardless, I will buy Cyberpunk 2077 for CD Projekt Red, despite my dislike of the FP perspective. I will make the purchase because of their exemplary consumer friendly practices in regards to DRM and microtransactions as I believe the gaming industry is incredibly lucky to have CD Projekt Red be part of it.

I know that a lot of people have posted in regards to the first person perspective of the game(FP), and that a lot of people, including me, have expected the game to be in third person (TP).

As fans with technical expertise in software engineering or hardware engineering have posted a variety of technical reasons for why the decision of the game only being FP has been taken, I would like to apologise in advance, for my lack of knowledge and naivete that I might show when discussing this matter. I am by no means knowledgeable in those fields of study.

I understand that the studio has a vison, for their game, and that their vison of the world, story, characters, level design and combat is theirs and theirs alone. I respect their decisions and from reading responses posted here on the forums I might come to understand them even better, however, I do have some issues.

My main issue is that many fans of Cd Projekt Red have known them, particularly, for their outstanding work in the award-winning Witcher series, that are played from a third person perspective, and perhaps, be it their fault or not, have come to expect that the game will be a RPG in TP and not FP.

Although I understand the studio’s reasons for choosing FP are due to their vision of the world, or due to technical reasons, as part of games development, I do not understand their lack of communication with fans on the front of making such a fundamentally important decision such as a locked FP perspective before entering the development of the game.

Surely, the backlash of this decision could have been prevented if there would have been better communication between the studio and its fan base. Before starting the development of the game and making technical and level design decisions tied to the FP perspective, a poll for question about combat ideas and preferred perspective for players could have been forwarded to fans in a post on various social media. Making the decision of locked first-person perspective could have a drastic impact on the sales of the game. I have known many friends who were in full-hype mode after the trailer that have went from complete joy to a solid no-buy attitude simply because of the FP perspective.

Surely, there could have been a prediction that this fundamental decision would divide the player base, resulting in less purchases or dissent among fans as to why this decision was taken.
As I have read on the forums about the verticality of the game, and how implementing a TP(third person) perspective so late in the development of the game can cause issues with both camera and immersion, I understand if the studio decides not to make such a decision as not implementing a TP(third person) perspective no matter how fervently a portion of the player base would want it.

I would love it, if, in the future, CD project Red would consult on what player experience fans would want before making such key decisions, as it would help them get a better understanding on what type of experience their target audience would prefer and base decisions on those statistics and percentages before beginning the actual development.
As said at the beginning, I love CD Projekt Red, and I will purchase Cyberpunk 2077 for their outstanding consumer friendly practices as I believe they are a shining light in the gaming industry, I will gift my copy to a friend who enjoys FP, I, however, no matter how much I love CDPR, and no matter how much I love the world of Cyberpunk, I cannot play first person(FP) because of personal taste, and how much I dislike the perspective. I am sorry to end this so melancholic. I will, in the future, always keep an eye out for future CDPR projects, if they are third person, turn based, or strategy, as those are my main interests. I wish them the best of luck with Cyberpunk 2077 and I hope they take as much time in development as needed.

With great respect,
A loving fan

That is a pretty bold statement, and why do you have to play with a controler/gamepad just because it's FPP. As for the matter of what you can see and what not, you can't see whats behind you in real life and remember that this game has an augment system, so a system which warns you of an incoming attack from behind doesn't sound too far of, right?
Let me clarify: Analogy about gamepad/mouse was an example about how one system, no matter how well done cannot be as good as another system due to inherent limitations arising from its fundamental nature. Aim precision among input devices was such an example. The best of gamepads cannot come close to the best of mice since a thumb analog movement cannot mimic the vast range of a hand guided sensor gliding across a mat.

Let's backtrack to this: In FPP melee, you cannot cannot see back but also has reduced vision on sides. you need to choose between seeing up or down. You have limited vision on arms and oftentimes no vision on your legs. Fast, evasive movements can lead to confusion in positioning. For example, walljump was mentioned. Whenever I did that in Unreal Tournament, it always disoriented me no matter how much I did to get used to it. Did I flip? Where did I jump off from exactly? Where am I landing? And so on.

They're not mimicing RL since we cannot drive in TPP in RL, so this FPP lock is pretty arbitrary for 'immersion'. I'd rather choose between based on the situation really. As for such an augment, it can still happen, not like TPP will show far behind. Or even make it over the shoulder with some zoom if it's a big issue. I can compromise on that.
You can do that, but you can also criticize them -- in a civil manner.

All civilly stated opinions are welcome.
Thanks for reinforcing this notion, I had some issues in the past with Firaxis moderation since they wouldn't tolerate criticism.

i wouldnt say CDPR is ignoring or disrepecting the fans, but staying dark for 5 years then hitting the news we have a FPP when showcasing a playable build wasnt the best PR in the world. Small design leaks for reactions and feedback just like this was prob a better way to go. let the news out a little for people to get the message.

Off-topic.…most likely the game will be released in 2020 as earliest...since it was mainly designed for next gen consoles. I reckon we will see something similar to what happened to GTA V.
I do hope is not the case, but with no release date on the horizon, that makes me think they have at least 2 more years of work on it. SO we should hold our horses about all these topics:))

Let me clarify: Analogy about gamepad/mouse was an example about how one system, no matter how well done cannot be as good as another system due to inherent limitations arising from its fundamental nature. Aim precision among input devices was such an example. The best of gamepads cannot come close to the best of mice since a thumb analog movement cannot mimic the vast range of a hand guided sensor gliding across a mat.

Let's backtrack to this: In FPP melee, you cannot cannot see back but also has reduced vision on sides. you need to choose between seeing up or down. You have limited vision on arms and oftentimes no vision on your legs. Fast, evasive movements can lead to confusion in positioning. For example, walljump was mentioned. Whenever I did that in Unreal Tournament, it always disoriented me no matter how much I did to get used to it. Did I flip? Where did I jump off from exactly? Where am I landing? And so on.

They're not mimicing RL since we cannot drive in TPP in RL, so this FPP lock is pretty arbitrary for 'immersion'. I'd rather choose between based on the situation really. As for such an augment, it can still happen, not like TPP will show far behind. Or even make it over the shoulder with some zoom if it's a big issue. I can compromise on that.

Thanks for reinforcing this notion, I had some issues in the past with Firaxis moderation since they wouldn't tolerate criticism.

Very well stated on the limitations of FPP for melee. Thanks for that writeup.

Horray, first person is so much more immersive. Glad that we get more 1st person RPG's than the ones Bethesda does. It's needed.

• RED Point
Reactions: Fuz
Off-topic.…most likely the game will be released in 2020 as earliest...since it was mainly designed for next gen consoles. I reckon we will see something similar to what happened to GTA V.
I do hope is not the case, but with no release date on the horizon, that makes me think they have at least 2 more years of work on it. SO we should hold our horses about all these topics:))

Also OT:

Not thrilled with the game still being so far out, but on the bright side maybe the bitcoin thing will have died down a bit by then and new video cards will be less expensive.

Noooo... I'm talking about perspective. Per....spec...tiiiiiiiiiiive. You're talking about other mechanics that influence the overall feel of the game.
Why is this so difficult for some people to understand?:

-We know the game will be mostly in first person
-We know what first person perspective plays like
-We know what first person perspective feels like
-We've played first person games before

Honestly, I have no idea how the whole "you have to see/try it first in order to judge it" argument seems even remotely relevant here.
Well if I pull up your post you appear to be saying you know what it feels like, which is obviously incorrect. FPP suggests so very little about the gameplay without further detail, that dismissing it out of hand because of it is ridiculous.

Well if I pull up your post you appear to be saying you know what it feels like, which is bullshit obviously. FPP suggests so very little about the gameplay without further detail, that dismissing it out of hand because of it is ridiculous.

He meant that we know how FPP feels like. In any game.
Regardless of gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom