Cyberpunk 2077: The Perfect RPG

+
Perfect rpg for some. But otherwise I wouldn't say so. And for sure doesn't seem even close to tabletop. So far the game looks fun, but I'm still skeptical on the balance of FPS to RPG.

Why not? And why exactly remotely not true?

The differences between Far Cry and Cyberpunk 2077 are many and obvious. You know this, as does kofe.

I know it's not an RPG in the way that New Vegas or (probably) the Outer Worlds, or Baldur's Gate, or any number of other games that I love, but it's certainly not Far Cry.

The differences between Far Cry and Cyberpunk 2077 are many and obvious. You know this, as does kofe.

I know it's not an RPG in the way that New Vegas or (probably) the Outer Worlds, or Baldur's Gate, or any number of other games that I love, but it's certainly not Far Cry.

Yeah, i was going to respond with a list, but then I stopped. Because if you've played Far Cry and seen the 2077 demo...no. If you conflate/confuse those, a list isn't going to help.

If playing doesn't feel like doing a math exam and playing chess, then it's not a RPG. :p

Sorry, I'm an idiot. :(

Seriously, to me RPG should stick to its meaning: role -playing game. In CP2077 you create your character (your verion of V much more than what you did with geralt in TW series) and your decisions affect the story. In my opinion that's enough to claim that CP2077 is a RPG, otherwise the witcher is not an RPG series, same for a lot of other games.

P.S. after assassin's creed becoming the witcher 3's ugly copy, don't worry, far cry will do the same but in first person perspective. Those guys at ubisoft cannot create anymore, they just copy what works for other games. Fingers crossed for beyond good and evil 2, but it will most likely be some shitty game as a service full of microtransactions.

Why not? And why exactly remotely not true?

In the trailer, according to the narrator, you can skip the meeting with the corp agent. and you just can buy the spider robot with your own money, or can confess that the agent sent you to him.

Also the game has character creation, stats, skills, and offers different play styles.

Why isn't it an RPG? because there aren't dialogues requring certain skills?

Following this: All "Deus Ex" Not RPG, All "Elder Scrolls" - not RPG, "Fallout 3" and beyond - not RPG :)
Don't be obnoxious, all these games feature stat/skill-based gates for most of the activities available in these games in some form or another. Cyberpunk 2077 from the look of it features mere "upgrades", hence leaning towards open-world FPSs than those game series you mentioned to prove my point, thanks.
It should first prove itself to be different by unrolling the full player character sheet with list of what each stat and skill governs and how. The gameplay suggests the dialogs work the VN-way - not gated in any way and the shooting independent from stats.
Ahem, why? FNV and Outer Worlds ARE RPGs, both first person, both open world (to some extention). If Cyberpunk 2077 is not "in a way" of these, then it doesn't qualify as RPG, the end, finita бля commedia.

Don't be obnoxious, all these games feature stat/skill-based gates for most of the activities available in these games in some form or another. Cyberpunk 2077 from the look of it features mere "upgrades", hence leaning towards open-world FPSs than those game series you mentioned to prove my point, thanks.
Ahem, why? FNV and Outer Worlds ARE RPGs, both first person, both open world (to some extention). If Cyberpunk 2077 is not "in a way" of these, then it doesn't qualify as RPG, the end, finita бля commedia.

*cough* Witcher 3 *cough* or 2 or 1 for that matter

Last edited:
Oh, all three of you knock that off. You're being silly.

The Witcher 3 is an RPG. Cyberpunk 2077 is an RPG. Labels are useful (in my opinion), but they encompass many different specific games. You need nuance when you are classifying them.

Action RPGs are still RPGs. I would say Cyberpunk 2077 is an action RPG. It is not a traditional or traditional-style RPG, nor does it need to be.

What else do you want to call it? It's not a pure shooter. It's not a strategy game, nor a puzzle game. At worst, you can call it a shooter-RPG hybrid, I.E. action RPG.

Can we all stop pretending to be obtuse just to spark an argument?

The Witcher 3 is an RPG. Cyberpunk 2077 is an RPG. Labels are useful (in my opinion), but they encompass many different specific games. You need nuance when you are classifying them.
The Witcher 3 format is unsuitable and harmful for CP2077, they're basically different games. Cyberpunk 2077 is advertised as an RPG with blank-state protagonist, advertised as an RPG based on a PnP and borrows systems from it. It is obligated to look foward to F:NV than TW3, even better to VtM:B in it's core gameplay but whatever for lack of better examples. If it tries to pull of cinematic story-drived Witcher game in Cyberpunk shell, then it's ironically nods to Far Cry for lack of better example (none of you guys played Xenus that is), city or not city, dialogue choice or without it.
I'm the contra-crap arguments guy
Can't be, you just tried to pull off a crap argument yourself. And I don't see horns on your forehead. So you're the pro-voiced protagonist guy. Don't waste your breath, this discussion is out of your competence.

Sild, too.

Oh, by the way... Just to clarify - I'm 100% for as many RPG mechanics in Cyberpunk 2077 as possible. Major stat impact on gameplay, a turn-based or strategic combat option, RNG-based skill checks (not my preference, but better than nothing), lack of a voiced protagonist for the sake of additional, more in-depth dialogue lines, basically anything you can think of with very few exceptions.

I just don't think we should go in the direction of "Cyberpunk 2077 is not an RPG (of any kind) if it doesn't have all of those things." I think that's just an unnecessary argument to make. Instead, we can talk about the specific mechanics we want to see that would make it better as an RPG.

Last edited:
They didn't really show us any rpg mechanics so far, even if mentioned some possibilities briefly, so concern of people who are sticking up for PnP and "true" RPG experience is understandable.

At this point skill and stat gating in some form is very likely, I think, but not pure sand box experience like FO, TES.

I mean there are stats, skills that level up as you successfully perform actions (like Skyrim), and perks that you level up using either XP or street cred, as well as cyberware that grants specific abilities. Sounds a lot more complex and in depth and you're making it out to be. What your describing is pretty much just perks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom