[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Ah man... guessing how RDR2 ends, but I enjoy that at least and seems fitting, this does not.

This is the main reason I wanted a refund. I thought other things could be fixed and things added, but I can't even continue the game? I got to reload a save?
I don't really find the point of different lifepaths anymore either now with just that.
I am genuinely so pissed off about the choices of ending and the fact that we were ALL under the impression there was a game continuation mechanic that doesn't force you to just reload a save. It's bullshit.

I am genuinely so pissed off about the choices of ending and the fact that we were ALL under the impression there was a game continuation mechanic that doesn't force you to just reload a save. It's bullshit.
Felt like no reason to even improve romances, can't continue them anyway.
I wanted better romance too :(
And then the majority of our life that we saw is that montage... I can't believe it was a montage because we saw it in a trailer, lol.
But so many endings with the same result is so odd isn't it? Never heard of that before, maybe multiple bad ending but not the same fate every time.

Burn the city... think we got burned instead.

the game continuation being just before the meeting is kinda bs.
doomed to die kinda fuckin blows.
you know what i want for the dlc? cap dex so the relic dosent fuckin kill me later.
since there's clearly no dlc that can occur after the main story really, i don't think i or any of us really wanna see what johnny does to v's body. its gotta be something like that.
maybe we will be able to use the mono wire for hacking when that drops as well

Felt like no reason to even improve romances, can't continue them anyway.
I wanted better romance too :(
And then the majority of our life that we saw is that montage... I can't believe it was a montage because we saw it in a trailer, lol.
But so many endings with the same result is so odd isn't it? Never heard of that before, maybe multiple bad ending but not the same fate every time.

Burn the city... think we got burned instead.
I saw someone quote CDPR saying "You can't save the world, but you can save yourself" but it turns out you can't even do that. I so badly wanted a deeper romance with Judy but after her and I fucked it was like "well, that's that. I'm your girlfriend now but I won't ever text you Hi again".

I saw someone quote CDPR saying "You can't save the world, but you can save yourself" but it turns out you can't even do that. I so badly wanted a deeper romance with Judy but after her and I fucked it was like "well, that's that. I'm your girlfriend now but I won't ever text you Hi again".
So sad and disappointing D:
Is it even possible to do big updates like this with more story and romance? I never played a game that has before

So sad and disappointing D:
Is it even possible to do big updates like this with more story and romance? I never played a game that has before
It's definitely possible, but I am not sure it would be 'good'. The problem with npc-romance in large-scale videogames is it's really hard to do well, you have to basically write the entirety of the character from the point of romancing them to react to everything major that happens. It's a lot of effort for very little gain. And if you do it wrong, you'll make it worse if the illusion breaks.

Also the game has an absolute ton of more pressing issues so I wouldn't count on it happening, but who knows? They -did- carry your witcher 3 romance over to blood and wine, so let's hope there's still some of that CDPR left there!

To preface this let me make it clear that I think Cyberpunk 2077 is a beautiful and well written game. It is much of what I wanted it to be despite the flaws that currently exist in it. If anything take it as a compliment to the writing that I feel so genuinely depressed about this. I also know this might be very much a “me” issue, but I was curious if anyone else shared these thoughts.

That said I feel so very tired by the ending we have received. RPGs are a genre of game that is still very limited in titles. The select few that align themselves in this genre for the past decade have also had a common theme of despair about them. Whether it be the loss of friends, betrayals from those you held dear, or the death of the character that you carefully constructed and put so much into, I feel like only one or two RPGs for the past decade has given us truly happy endings. I used to look forward to every potential RPG release, but frankly I feel drained now.

RPGs are undeniably my favorite genre, I feel like no other type of game can be a personal and investing as this genre because you are making choices every step of the way by interacting with characters, pursuing side quests, and choosing different paths. All other games seek to tell you a story, but these game invite you to be a part of the story. Such an invitation is personal and asks you to put yourself and your thoughts into the game, to make an emotional investment in it.

However so many of the RPGs lately seem to have forgotten that by giving their players choices the players in turn expect their choices to matter. The biggest offender was Mass Effect 3 the finale to one of the greatest trilogies in gaming. The game where you were once able to decide who lived, who died, who was in power, and who would turn against you, somehow managed to famously end with a choice of three different colors for essentially the same ending. In the final moments taking away all choice in favor of a single story that the developer wanted to tell rather than the multiple ones they could have offered. It was seen by many as unforgivable and one of the greatest insults to those who had invested so much into it.

You would think that such a well known failure would make other companies, hoping to break into the genre and become a competitive force, take note, but here we are again. Yes they are more fleshed out than ME3, but we still get a few different flavors of death and nothing else. We again have another RPG claiming that we have a right to choose how our story plays out, but we have no right to how it ends. If BioWare gets criticized for it shouldn’t CDPR too?

I’m not really angry like so many people are about the bugs and such, I just few sad. Sad that this is how they thought V should end, sad that I can’t replay the game without the absolute certainty that there is nothing I can do hanging over my head, sad that this lack of choice is becoming normalized in the RPG community. I know it is just a game in the end, but these games encourage emotion with their presentation and I wonder how many people share this feeling of sadness.

Bad endings just kill replayability for me.
If it's all pointless, and the result will be the same (sad) - why bother, and try all those side quests, if it leads to nothing?
It's like ME3 all over again - pick a color.
Or the
way your V dies

Sorr for my bad English.

Unpopular opinion maybe, but I think the endings are pretty good. The story is great. I stayed up for over 24 hours to finish the game cause I was so intrigued on how it would end. Or what my different options are.

I was kinda expecting this game to have a bad ending, I think over this couple of years I just stopped caring. It's just sad they kept on advertising how you'll forge your own story when in fact, everything seems so much scripted. Everything felt more real in Detroit became human, where I actually cared about character, in Cyberpunk I just don't

These endings are AWFUL. With ONE hopeful... Unbelievable. Literally not ONE good one. Like look, I don't care if good endings are supposedly overused, I LIKE to see my hero ride off into the sunset - WITHOUT the baggage of 6 months left to live! What the heck!

People are trying to say the ending where Johnny takes over your body and you live in cyberhell is a great ending, yeah right. I would never give Johnny my body, I'd literally rather do the ending where you eat a bullet than give him my body, if those were the two options.

This has literally completely ruined my enjoyment of the game. I really hope they revise this and give us one good ending through dlc in the future, this is so dumb.

Couple of things here:

1. The chip doesn't have a soul inside. That's the whole point. That's the meaning of Soulkiller and is what makes the story so dark. The reason why EVERY ending in this game is a doomed ending is because even in the happier paths (e.g. V leaves with the Nomads) V still gets Soulkiller used on them by Alt. Soulkiller kills people. It copies their "mind" into an engram. The moment Alt does that to V, the original organic-brain version of V is dead. It doesn't matter whether V's copied engram then gets put back into V's brain or not, neither does it matter if Johnny takes the body instead. V's "remaining six months of life" are completely irrelevant - those six months are for the copy of V that gets put back into V's brain. The original V is dead, no matter what happens. The instant that Alt applies Soulkiller to V just before the final choices are made, the real and original V dies and the player is left controlling a copied engram of V only.

2. Regarding the "magical" point, you're making a fundamental error regarding how fiction and suspension of disbelief work. Just because something is made up, doesn't mean that thing doesn't possess rules that have to be followed to avoid everything collapsing into nonsense. Just because the warp drive on the USS Enterprise is "magical" tech, that does not mean the Enterprise can travel at a speed of Warp -1. Negative warp speed makes no sense, given the rules of warp drive that are set up within the Star Trek universe.

In the case of Cyberpunk 2077, the player and V are both informed that V's brain is being destroyed. By the time we reach the end of the game, V's brain is so damaged that V will die immediately if the chip is disconnected even if Johnny is deleted. You can't just fix this with the wave of a magic wand - a skilled writer has to provide some kind of believable in-universe solution that can repair V's organic brain, removing the need to copy V into an engram (since that kills the original version of V). I'm not saying it's impossible to write a way out of this corner the game traps itself in, but it isn't easy since the story goes to great lengths to emphasise that reversing the organic brain damage is impossible.

Whatever someone writes, the important thing to remember is that there's no point adding a new chapter to the end of the story that extends V's six month lifespan. That lifespan only applies to the engram copy of V. The original V is already dead by that point in the story. If you want a truly happy ending, it needs to take place BEFORE Alt uses Soulkiller on V, otherwise it's meaningless.
Good points. I hadn't thought of that. This reminds me of Farscape. The original Crighton actually dies when he is duplicated. Each duplicate is lesser than the original. Crighton will never be Crighton, as you say. Just a copy. The writers there actually ended up making it interesting though.

However, whether they put a revised ending after the base game, or allow a DLC to add another - I want it done. The story as it is now is completely pointless, in my opinion.
Post automatically merged:

You know the worst thing about this is it makes replays so much more bitter. I just started up my second play through and I just feel depressed. Before I thought there had to be some kind of hope at the end of the tunnel, but now it’s just a slow march towards death. It just zaps all of the joy out of everything.
Yep. What is even the point? All it is, is the illusion of options. They all lead to the same outcome, one way or another.

Last edited:
That said I feel so very tired by the ending we have received.

Yep, there's a decently long conversation about how shitty it is that every ending is bad over in the story forum. I hope the devs are reading this feedback and future updates will remedy this, by giving us at least one good ending.

I mean come on, joining together with Silverhand for a lifetime of adventures to come seems like a no-brainer, but no. Death. Death death death, because it's 2020 and things aren't depressing enough.

I personally think that as a game CP77 is good. Real good. It can serve as a platform for many stories to come. Maybe V's story was just the first one, and we'll get a better one later. Hopefully one where we'll be able to customize our protagonist fully (name and all), and have an experience that'll be less hijacked by needing to include Keanu as the de-facto main character, player be damned.

It's just sad they kept on advertising how you'll forge your own story when in fact, everything seems so much scripted.

Agreed; if they wanted to make a game about Silverhand, just make the game about fucking Silverhand. I would -love- to see Silverhand's raise to power, or at the very least the full arc of how he got to the point of being a night city legend. Don't make me create -my- character and make me think our custom player character is the protagonist only to hijack the game and have it be all about Silverhand anyway.

They showed this in 2018 and I think it was pre keanu, I honestly think they should go back and explore these options they showed in some way.

My biggest gripe is that all agency and initiative taken to survive the Biochip was made irrelevant. And, as mentioned before, V dies regardless (even when becoming "immortalized.")
Yes exactly this. It makes me feel like my entire attempt to find a way to live was useless and I shouldn't have even bothered. Silverhand was right when he told me to kill myself. Same ending just a lil bit earlier in the story.

Yes exactly this. It makes me feel like my entire attempt to find a way to live was useless and I shouldn't have even bothered. Silverhand was right when he told me to kill myself. Same ending just a lil bit earlier in the story.

A greater irony is that even if we choose to survive for 6 months, we still die at Mikoshi. Soulkiller killed us, only to bring back an engram (Fake V) to inhabit Real V's body for 6 months before it dies too! Suddenly any personal connections made with other characters were just cut, let alone romances. (Now I just straight up feel bad for Judy with the stuff she went through...)

Top Bottom