Do you like TW2 Mods?

+
Do you like TW2 Mods?

Hi! I've been browsing on the Nexus for some time now and I have to say I'm quite disappointed. Well. In a way. I find the mods actually worse than the game default. Meaning the game is SO awsome that the mods just ruin it. (Not like Skyrim for example, where the default game sucks and mods enhance it to dreamy spheres...)

For example the freaking wearable mage robe for Geralt. In what universe is our beloved Witcher a mage??? This may be just the mod creator's ignorance speaking, but still...

The textures. Are you kiding me?! Black armor this, black armor that. Black pants. Black black. Did you know that the black is killing all the great textures on the clothes? No? Yeah. It does. :mad:

One of the most downloaded mods (over 2000) is the book replacer (book on armors to a leather bag). In my oppinion, the (probably alchemy) book idea on the armor is just absolute genious and it's been one of the greatest details I've enjoyed.

What do YOU think? Do you actually like some mods? Why? Or have you encountered some stupid mods? Or even more stupid than the robe? :) Share! I'm really curious if I'm the only one hatin'!

I agree that TW2 mods are weak. Most of them are retextures of some armor sets. And most of those retextures are worse than originals but then its hard to improve the quality of perfect TW2 textures.

As for Skyrim, I hope TW2 won't suffer from the plague that infected Skyrim. Less armor more protection, less brain more cleavage, most of them involve some sort of explicit content, however there are some really good ones.

The TW2 modders have been working WITHOUT A TOOLSET. Given that there's no toolset, it's wonderful that there are mods for TW2 at all.

Plus, different people like different things, and that's okay. If someone enjoys thinking of Geralt as a mage, then they get to play him that way; it doesn't hurt MY game any if someone else has stuff they enjoy in their game.

And y'know, modders WORK FOR FREE and give their stuff away. If you don't like what they've made, then learn to mod, yourself, and make something better.

And if you can't do better, then you have no business whining or criticizing.

(NB: I'm a TW1 modder, not a TW2 modder.)

Simple solution: don't download mods, which you don't like

There are mods that improve your gaming experience, like the improved inventory - which got even included in the enhanced edition... or mutagen slots for all talents, if you feel like a bit of cheating. Or the mutagenology mod, which allows you to combine lesser mutagens into the more powerful varieties. Or truly white hair for Geralt, since he's more of a "grey wolf" in the vanilla version.

The hud mods were a godsend when the game first came out. So much so that CDPR released them as an official patch. There's also weight watchers, Making Geralt's hair white again, a hi-res texture mod, gear overhaul by Kindo. Like Cory said these guys have been working without a toolset. I'm happy with what we got.

Corylea said:
Plus, different people like different things, and that's okay. If someone enjoys thinking of Geralt as a mage, then they get to play him that way; it doesn't hurt MY game any if someone else has stuff they enjoy in their game.

Well. And that's the problem of today games. The customization became a huge deal in RPGs. And it's a good thing, I like it. BUT! TW is a precise and definied character. Geralt IS NOT a mage. He's not. He's a witcher. And from what I see, he's more swordsman (in the books he couldn't even use signs in the end, remember?)
That's why I hate the robe and all the magic enhancing, because it's just outside the logic, rules and overall idea of TW world. Wizzards and sorceresses do magic, they laught at witcher and their childish tricks called signs.

As for the whiter hair - I see another eye for detail from CDPR here. Imagine the TW world. I doubt you'd be able to keep your hair snow white. I don't think they are grey, I see them as dirty white.

And one more thing, dear Corylea. As a "customer" of these mods I have a full right to criticize them. As a reader you criticize books, as a viewer you criticize movies, etc. Yes, it's great they do it for free, but since there's been a tremendous amount of sloppy work, I need to let them know, no mather how painful it may be (assuming from the minus count rising). You as a creator - don't tell me, you don't want your creations to be perfect. I want mine, too. So I would never present anything less than that. Just sayin'

I don't see why Witcher 2 has to be "saved" from ridiculous mods, even those which breaks the lore.
It's only a game, it's not sacred ground or anything..

Don't like them, don't use them - if you find the selection too crappy, make some cool ones yourself! :D

Sometimes I think some people take the Witcher franchise way too seriously ;)

BBL - gonna replace Triss with My Little Pony :D

Well, I think that the point of a modification is already in the name itself.

And like people already said, we can't really complain about the free work some people did until now with no toolset released. Maybe generally is "crap", but that is what happens with basically every game that doesn't have any toolset.

Just wait for 2013 :D

Vinterberg said:
I don't see why Witcher 2 has to be "saved" from ridiculous mods, even those which breaks the lore.
It's only a game, it's not sacred ground or anything..

Sometimes I think some people take the Witcher franchise way too seriously ;)/>

The Witcher is not just some "randomly made up" fantasy game like TES (for example). It's not even loosely inspired by books or the world. As I've written before, it's HIGHLY defined by the the books. CDPR sticks to them pretty well. For god sakes, A. Sapkowski himself helped with some story issues for the game.

That's why I take it seriously. I just can't watch what is becoming of it with the mods (see as minds of the modders!). That might be the whole problem here. The whole idea of changind the solid TW world to something else. To some normal customizing game. Losing the idea of witchers or Geralt himself.

An example (the robe again). I generally don't mind the freaking robe. I mind the person who event thinks of a robe for Geralt. And the people who willingly downlaod it. It's like the wishlist forum - some guy wanted fast travel or sneaking (picklocking and so on) ability. Go play TES then, don't play The Witcher. But that's a whole different story, so I quit.

Nice holidays, everyone!

Dude, you are full of butt hurt. Mods are independently done, and have no relation to CDPR. People will do what they want. You can't criticize them for that. Be grateful CDPR even supports mods.

Calm yo tatas.

Most mods are for fun and don't necessarily have to be lore-friendly. People just like to mess around and that's totally alright... regardless of whether you like it or not.
If you really want 'quality' stuff then have a little patience till the toolset is released. Until then slow down, bro.

TheRockDuck said:
The Witcher is not just some "randomly made up" fantasy game like TES (for example). It's not even loosely inspired by books or the world. As I've written before, it's HIGHLY defined by the the books. CDPR sticks to them pretty well. For god sakes, A. Sapkowski himself helped with some story issues for the game.

That's why I take it seriously. I just can't watch what is becoming of it with the mods (see as minds of the modders!). That might be the whole problem here. The whole idea of changind the solid TW world to something else. To some normal customizing game. Losing the idea of witchers or Geralt himself.

..but nobody's forcing you to use any of them?
TW2 is CDPR's franchise, and I don't think they want to do any sort of approval-system for mods to make sure they stay within the lore - so in a few months time, you will probably get a heart attack when the first My Little Pony-mods starts to appear :)

Good thing we decide for ourself about wether we want to use mods at all in our games - no harm done :D

Again: Witcher is not some sacred urn that people visit in droves every year while whipping themselves to celebrate "The Great Sapkowski in the sky".. Just some books and games etc.. ;)

TheRockDuck said:

An example (the robe again). I generally don't mind the freaking robe. I mind the person who event thinks of a robe for Geralt. And the people who willingly downlaod it. It's like the wishlist forum - some guy wanted fast travel or sneaking (picklocking and so on) ability. Go play TES then, don't play The Witcher. But that's a whole different story, so I quit.

Nice holidays, everyone!

Dude, mods are not part of the game... It doesn't matter that someone download graphic overhaul or mod changing Geralt to shitpickle. Downloading mods is like hiring some graffiti artist to make graffiti on your wall, you may want something that make wall look better or something just completely retarded and crazy, and you shouldn't care about it as long as it's not your wall...

TheRockDuck said:
And one more thing, dear Corylea. As a "customer" of these mods I have a full right to criticize them.

Yes, you have the right to complain. Here at least. I suggest you don't try it at The Nexus. They also have rights, and the one they exercise most frequently is the right to ban people who make comments considered harmful to the community.

I've made texture mods, and lore-breaking mods, and game-tweaking mods. I've made them because people have asked for them, I've made them because I wanted to, and I've walked away from making some mods when the requester has an attitude problem and thinks that he has the right to expect others to work for free on his behalf.

I don't recall ever making a mod for you or begging you to take any of my mods, so don't think for even one second that your "right to complain" is because you're a customer or that this kind of feedback is somehow helpful. Being CDPR's customer may give you the right to complain about the absence of a toolkit if you want to make your own mods, but to the modding community you're simply some random guy who likes to complain.

About the "customer":
actually, since mods are fan made and free to use, you're not a customer of any kind, but a user. Sure you can criticize whatever you want. Perhaps less rudely is welcome. I don't like most of them, thus I haven't installed on my game. But if you're having a request, drop a message in the Nexus community or here. I'm sure Kindo, dragonbird or another modder will be glad to satisfy you.
Otherwise, if you are not, why browsing them and then say "are you fucking kidding me? they suck so hard!". Sorry, just exasperating your words

secondchildren said:
But if you're having a request, drop a message in the Nexus community or here. I'm sure Kindo, dragonbird or another modder will be glad to satisfy you.

Or not. See previous post. :mad:

Corylea said:
The TW2 modders have been working WITHOUT A TOOLSET. Given that there's no toolset, it's wonderful that there are mods for TW2 at all.

And y'know, modders WORK FOR FREE and give their stuff away. If you don't like what they've made, then learn to mod, yourself, and make something better.

And if you can't do better, then you have no business whining or criticizing.

(NB: I'm a TW1 modder, not a TW2 modder.)

you are right indeed, but why do you get so mad at him ?

Top Bottom