CD Projekt RED and GOG.com Special Event: 18 October 2012 at 18:00 GMT

+
Dona said:
Yeah, that was fucking awful. My theory is that Square-Enix forced anime-like proportions on the game, I don't see how any sane art director would allow that stupidity on their own volition.

The anime-fication happened to the new Lara Croft, too, if my theory needs more support :p

This... this is a joke, right? Because it sounds like insane troll logic :|

Kodaemon said:
This... this is a joke, right? Because it sounds like insane troll logic :|
Troll logic, no. A lot of companies have certain rules that will make all products made under their wing indeed look 'theirs' at first glance. It's a part of the branding. The Squenix speculation is entirely on my part, I just find it suspicious that both DX:HR and Tomb Raider Reboot characters suddenly look Final Fantasy-ish, and Squenix is the only connection there is.

Dona said:
Troll logic, no. A lot of companies have certain rules that will make all products made under their wing indeed look 'theirs' at first glance. It's a part of the branding. The Squenix speculation is entirely on my part, I just find it suspicious that both DX:HR and Tomb Raider Reboot characters suddenly look Final Fantasy-ish, and Squenix is the only connection there is.

I agree they look more Squenix-y not necessarily anime though.

OK, just how does Tomb Raider look "Final Fantasy-ish"!? I can kind of, sort of see what you might mean with DX:HR if I squint my eyes, (apart from that poster in Pritchard's office :p), but Tomb Raider?...

Also: the most characteristic stylisation for characters in DX:HR is small heads. That's hardly a trait I would immediately associate with anime. If anything, anime more often goes in the opposite direction, giving characters bigger heads.

Dona said:
Making anything "in similar style" to DX:HR would be spitting in the face of everything the artists did to achieve their look. Others should pick up on their philosophy to create original visual identity, not do anything else. DX:HR look works for DX:HR because it was carefully designed for it, there is meaning behind the style. Using that style on anything else would be nothing short of amateurish.

That said, Cyberpunk concept art seemed to be going in a more 80s-inspired direction (just look at that tacky blue leopard print jacket...)

I still doubt that picture is going to reflect the visual theme for Cyberpunk. They also said they wouldn't be going retro in an interview with gamefront. A wise decision since there are fewer things uglier than 80's style.

Aver

Forum veteran
Dona said:
Yeah, that was fucking awful. My theory is that Square-Enix forced anime-like proportions on the game, I don't see how any sane art director would allow that stupidity on their own volition.

The anime-fication happened to the new Lara Croft, too, if my theory needs more support :p

I don't think so. Western section of Square Enix is still run by Eidos staff and I don't think that Japanese section care about their games at all (as long as they sell) - after all in Japan nobody buys those western games - they sold 8k copies of HR and 8k of Just Cause 2 in Japan. Small countries in Europe have better sales ;).

Okay, okay, anime-ish might not be the right word :) But definitely more Sqenixish.

Kodaemon said:
OK, just how does Tomb Raider look "Final Fantasy-ish"!? I can kind of, sort of see what you might mean with DX:HR if I squint my eyes, (apart from that poster in Pritchard's office :p), but Tomb Raider?...
One Two Three

Do you see it now?

@Aver
Company rules would still apply no matter the location, would they not? It's all about branding.

Kodaemon said:
A wise decision since there are fewer things uglier than 80's style.
I agree.

I'm very excited to learn more about Cyberpunk 'cos it's a totally different century and genre. For me there was/is always CDPR = The Witcher :D because I came to know this Polish studio via The Witcher and never heard of them before.
Now Cyberpunk, a different project than The Witcher seems so... unreal :eek:

Dona said:
A lot of companies have certain rules that will make all products made under their wing indeed look 'theirs' at first glance. It's a part of the branding.
I agree, I don't like that very much. I used to recognize every game of NCsoft like Guild wars, Lineage, Aion and even Tabula Rasa and CoH/CoV... it's kind of I hope Cyberpunk and The Witcher games won't suffer from the same virus.

The allure of CP was that tacky, adgy, and preposterous style. Edge runners dressed themselves like parrots, I for one like the blue leopard jacked. Tech hair, luminous tats and the whole nine yards to be honest :D

But I would like to see a modern approach to the 'eighties future style'. The invisible nanotech got boring lately. A sci-fi that breakes the trend of japanese minimalism, oriental ornaments and glass and plastic fibers would be welcomed. GIVE. US. CHROME!

I actually love the anime-ish cartoonish graphics and would actually love it if by any way CDP makes cyberpunk :p

Aver

Forum veteran
Adityathewarriorwithin said:
I actually love the anime-ish cartoonish graphics and would actually love it if by any way CDP makes cyberpunk :p

I like this style too, but I don't want to see it in Cyberpunk. It's the most common art style and CDPR is better than that.

Dona said:

For Deus Ex: Human Revolution? I thought it looked fine in-game Was the aspect ratio correct? I've had weird things happen in other games when the aspect ratio was wrong (like everyone being super skinny or fat :p)

I hope female characters in Cyberpunk button their leopard print jackets up to their chin.

Top Bottom