CD Projekt RED and GOG.com Special Event: 18 October 2012 at 18:00 GMT

+
Aver said:
It doesn't mean all of the games are going to look like they came from the same universe, it means there are certain things companies will require as their 'signature' look and it's often very subtle. It ranges from character proportions to how contrast is handled to the correlation of lights in a scene. Every movie, game, you name it, will have a design guidebook detailing every little thing, little nuances that majority won't even notice, that make the look what it is; but those are rarely, if ever, available to public (within a reason). Example of DX:HR's design books to better illustrate what amount of work goes into it and why I cannot explain all of it in one post to those who aren't well acquainted with design and branding.

Aver said:
For Deus Ex: Human Revolution? I thought it looked fine in-game Was the aspect ratio correct? I've had weird things happen in other games when the aspect ratio was wrong (like everyone being super skinny or fat :p)
LOL yeah, to me the difference was the most apparent with Adam, because his looks are emphasized by either the large jacket shoulders or his cybernetic arms. IMO the difference isn't that obvious, it's just one of those "once you see it..." things. Be happy if you can't see it XD;

Dona said:
LOL yeah, to me the difference was the most apparent with Adam, because his looks are emphasized by either the large jacket shoulders or his cybernetic arms. IMO the difference isn't that obvious, it's just one of those "once you see it..." things. Be happy if you can't see it XD;

Oh, okay. In that case I won't look for it :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCMv4yovmRI

Belletetecow says they might have pushed the stylisation too far, I'd say they went either too far or not far enough.

For example, Dishonored's characters are very obviously stylised, and I'd say the effect is generally more pleasing, whereas DX:HR is stuck in something akin to the uncanny valley.

Aver

Forum veteran
Dona said:
It doesn't mean all of the games are going to look like they came from the same universe, it means there are certain things companies will require as their 'signature' look and it's often very subtle. It ranges from character proportions to how contrast is handled to the correlation of lights in a scene. Every movie, game, you name it, will have a design guidebook detailing every little thing, little nuances that majority won't even notice, that make the look what it is; but those are rarely, if ever, available to public (within a reason). Example of DX:HR's design books to better illustrate what amount of work goes into it and why I cannot explain all of it in one post to those who aren't well acquainted with design and branding.

I've played all recent ex-Eidos games and I've played plenty of Square Enix games in my life and I never felt any similarities between them in matter of art, gameplay or sound.

When I saw game plays and trailers of new Tomb Rider and didn't have even slightest feeling "this kinda looks Square Enixish/Final Fantasyish". It's first time when I heard about Tomb Rider looking kinda Square Enixish.

Kodaemon said:
Belletetecow says they might have pushed the stylisation too far, I'd say they went either too far or not far enough.

For example, Dishonored's characters are very obviously stylised, and I'd say the effect is generally more pleasing, whereas DX:HR is stuck in something akin to the uncanny valley.
I'm well acquainted with JJB's Podcast, thanks :p There were other things about DX:HR characters that I found 'off', but eh it's not that important and we've gone very off topic already.

Yeah, Dishonored characters reminded me of Syberia in an odd (but good) way - actually, the entire game did, but I cannot put my finger on it - it's a good look to combine with more painterly/stylised graphics. Even though CGI Coro reminded me of your typical Skyrim Nord, probably because of the long-ish, greasy prisoner hair. I don't remember if his face was ever shown in the actual game, though.

@Aver
It's OK, I was just explaining what similarities I do see and why. It's probably better that you don't.

Dona said:
I'm well acquainted with JJB's Podcast, thanks :p There were other things about DX:HR characters that I found 'off', but eh it's not that important and we've gone very off topic already.

I think I get it now (I hadn't seen that podcast before). I probably didn't even notice the stylization in-game, and for the few cases where something might have seemed a little "off" I just assumed it was due to augs and didn't think twice about it.

I think Cyberpunk can get away with a bit of stylization too and I probably will either not notice or just chalk it up to augs again :p Of course I don't expect them to copy DE:HR's style but I mean in general if they come up with their own stylization it won't bother me if it's slightly not anatomically correct (but not exaggerated enough to be blatantly noticeable).

Dona said:

Yeah, Dishonored characters reminded me of Syberia in an odd (but good) way - actually, the entire game did, but I cannot put my finger on it - it's a good look to combine with more painterly/stylised graphics. Even though CGI Coro reminded me of your typical Skyrim Nord, probably because of the long-ish, greasy prisoner hair. I don't remember if his face was ever shown in the actual game, though.

I linked the vid more for the benefit of others like Aver & Ward Dragon ;) As for Corvo's face, it's on wanted posters on low chaos and on the difficulty selection screen (easy).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLZEqi9U-wY&list=UUNeU-ameY0dcKiltExqvhIw&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh_2r06Ahs0

that GOG ad reminds me of this for some unknown reason. BRB guna buy some oxiclean.

Just a few hours more and the details become known ! I can`t be there to watch it but i`m sure that some of the fine members here will touch upon the basics until i can get to the recorded feed .

CostinMoroianu said:
Having played Deus Ex: HR only once I have to ask what exactly are you talking about Dona?
Not this again, several people explained it already.

> they made character heads smaller than what you'd find on a regular human body
> I speculate Squenix is asking for certain stylisation
> some see this, others don't
> not a really big deal but kinda annoying once you notice Adam's tiny head

ANYWAY, so this is in ~3:30h, right?

mycota said:
Nope, for now ~4:22

Btw, what do you expect from teaser trailer of cyberpunk game? I hope it's something from Platige Image :D.
Ah, thank you! I'm GMT+1 but I think daylight savings messed that one up.

OMG I'll die if it's something by Platige *_* It may be too early right now, but I hope they get to work on it at some point :D

Top Bottom