How athletic should Geralt be in TW3?

+
I think it's more of a Prince of Persia system where you can clearly see the ledges you can climb and not like in AC where the character can just climb anything that sticks out a bit. Ofc, this is pure speculation.

I would like Geralt to be as mobile and agile as possible when interacting with the environment, but AC is not really the model I would point, mostly because I have my bias toward that dull franchise (I hate it with a fucking passion; to me is essentially a flagship of dull mechanics and terrible game design).

Shawnkh said:

Well CDPRED is crazy honestly, they just want to put so many awesome things in this game that i'd be surprise if they didnt think about it.

Shawnkh said:
The most important movement for me is the "side step", an essential part of any combat style (a quick foot re-positioning in order to gain suitable angle for attack/defense). you may also call it an efficient dodge/counter attack movement.

To me this is very important, but this is for the aspect of combat that im worried the least for: combat against humans

In monster combat, a short range side step would only be useful if they dumb down the creatures (or with the smaller ones or those that charge), wich is exactly what i dont want them to do.

I think that out of all TW franchise's combat, the fighting against monsters is the most underdeveloped in general, and its ironic, because Geralt is special for being dedicated to do precisely that.

Shawnkh said:
Something like this...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y62IcPh_tnY[/media]

Come to think of it, it would be amazing to actually have these training sessions in game but it might be a bit of a feature creep.

Yes, this more or less shows the direction that i think they should take.

In TW1 in fact if you look at the movements available and the attack animations they are pretty witcher like or at least special, compared to common swordfighting. They didnt have the technology and experience they do now to make the game but they intended to make Geralt seem like what he is, wich is of course, why i was so utterly dissapointed with what happened in TW2 regarding this aspect.

seamusgod said:
imo not very. he's a monster hunter, not a gymnast

So whats in your opinion a monster hunter, what does he need to do in order to fight these things?, because this is what im tallking about.

If RED want to dumb down the monsters and make them fight esentially like human soldiers pretty much as in the previous games then yeah, Geralt wont need any sort of special moves, after all, in this case Geralt wouldnt even be so different from any of the bandits you kill, they could all go hunting mosters actually, seeing how they fight not so differently.

But if the monsters actually are different, and are stronger and more capable than a dumb bandit, then being a monster hunter will involve being a gymnast too at least to a certain point.

I dont want Geralt to be or do more than what he needs or what fits the game, but i want the game to be varied, challenging, and Geralt's specific profession to be special, and for that, he will need to be better and have more options imo.

Its a simple matter of balance, you either dumb down the enemies under a low common denominator, and thus dumb down the player character so hes not overpowered, or you either make the enemies varied and tough, and you give the player varied capabilities and/or options as well.

seamusgod said:
imo not very. he's a monster hunter, not a gymnast

So far, across countless cinematics (be it CGI or in-game) and gameplay, we've seen Geralt do the following:

-climb the side of a building;
-do front flips;
-do back flips;
-dodge a sword Matrix style;
-ride on the back a friggin' dragon.

And that's just to name a few. So by me, Geralt might as well compete in the Northern Kingdoms Olympics.

Geraltofbsas said:
In monster combat, a short range side step would only be useful if they dumb down the creatures (or with the smaller ones or those that charge), wich is exactly what i dont want them to do.

That depends on the type of monster.
for small/normal monsters like nekker, drowner and rotfiend, side-step is applicable.
however for large/huge monsters such as endrega, troll and giant, the whole combat style should be different and in case of evasive maneuvers, pirouette and roll are more relevant.

BlackLeopard said:
That depends on the type of monster.
for small/normal monsters like nekker, drowner and rotfiend, side-step is applicable.
however for large/huge monsters such as endrega, troll and giant, the whole combat style should be different and in case of evasive maneuvers, pirouette and roll are more relevant.

Yeah i agree, and i just hope the devs dont adjust the monsters to Geralt's abilities to fight in general, but that they adjust Geralt to fight the monsters, thats what's supposed to make him special after all.

It'll be great Geralt has some platforming like Assasin's Creed but again i dont think they will have as that AC signature XD

I think there are some awesome gameplay opportunities available with a cool climbing feature. Do you remember in act1 of TW2 where you had to climb a few boxes to spy on a conversation between Loredo and someone else? Was it Sila? I forget, its been a while. But anyway, imagine a similar scenario taking place in Novigrad, only you have to climb much higher, and navigate the buildings more. Just one example of a gameplay opportunity using climbing which can tie into the story. But yeah, I don't think there's anything particularly anti-Geralt about climbing, as long as he's not swinging on the roofs screaming woohoo like spiderman :)

I think that last part is what's really important. "Parkouring on top of the buildings in Novigrad sounds pretty badass," as you said, is not something Geralt would do on a normal day. If there's a specific quest that lets you do it for a good reason, I'm absolutely fine with that. But no unlimited parkour all the time.

As far as parkour is concerned, I can only see Dandelion parkouring out of his ladies' bedroom windows, that's about it.

Aaand now I want to see this. Pretty badly. I wonder - would he parkour out the window away from one angry husband, parkour across the rooftops and right into another ladies window?

Aaand now I want to see this. Pretty badly. I wonder - would he parkour out the window away from one angry husband, parkour across the rooftops and right into another ladies window?

Definitely the latter. And you know what? When in Novigrad the game should have a side quest chain when we play as Dandelion. A few short quests, played as a form of "interlude" in the main, Geralt's story, where Dandelion wins hearts of noble ladies, with the stakes and...akhem...rewards...progressing with each quest.

I know he's a mutant and nearly superhuman but what are his limits in terms of how high could he jump if he wasn't weighed down by the armor and swords? How fast could he run?

Top Bottom