Dead Bodies

+
Dead Bodies

I was reading an interview about The Witcher 3 and I read about how civilians will react to different types of things such as weather and pulling out your sword. But what will happen when they see a dead body? Will they scream and run away, will they pick up the body and discard it into a nearby lake or river? Will they even react at all.

Please give me your thoughts.

:cheers:

reacting to death? initially i can see more feeble personalities cowering in fear then hopefully a crowd will gather. people don't always run from death and many will go to see the scene even when it is sure to disgust them. especially in city area. towns people tend to be more fearing and consequentially dangerous. look at the fishing village outside Vizima in comparison to the city itself. idk about you but there was a difference in attitude going from the border village to the city in the first game. so I would like to see a variety of reactions for different communities who may or may not be exposed to more chaos and death or at risk of death and more paranoid as a result. e.g. community in no mans land compared to sleepy farming town with a monster problem. one might be less likely to be disturbed by dead bodies than the other. you might even get individuals in no mans land or in city slums looting corpses. at least these are my thoughts on it.

reacting to death? initially i can see more feeble personalities cowering in fear then hopefully a crowd will gather. people don't always run from death and many will go to see the scene even when it is sure to disgust them. especially in city area. towns people tend to be more fearing and consequentially dangerous. look at the fishing village outside Vizima in comparison to the city itself. idk about you but there was a difference in attitude going from the border village to the city in the first game. so I would like to see a variety of reactions for different communities who may or may not be exposed to more chaos and death or at risk of death and more paranoid as a result. e.g. community in no mans land compared to sleepy farming town with a monster problem. one might be less likely to be disturbed by dead bodies than the other. you might even get individuals in no mans land or in city slums looting corpses. at least these are my thoughts on it.

I hope cdpr will go to this kind of effort but more likely npc's will react all very similar to each other.

Fable 1 NPC responded to attacks in town
STALKER NPC responded when you point a gun at them (ARMA NPC's too)
GTA series - the crowd responded when a murder was committed

My opinion is that guards should approach you and warn you to put back your swords before they attack you in attempt to restrain you (send you to jail or disarm you)
If you kill someone guards should send a man for backup and the rest should jump on you (surrounding you ofc) and try to kill you
A cool thing can be when you fight a cut scene where a guard asks you "Do you surrender?" and you have the choice whether to refuse and continue the fight or if you just dont want to waste time fighting say no and be sent to jail. (because in Assassins creed i had 15 minutes battles that i didn't wanted to fight but i didnt wanted to die either)

Actually, it would be nice if not all dead bodies would stay dead. Some nice monstering, at least in specific places (nice to have some quests for it as well) would be appreciated.
People's reaction should depend on the locale. In NML - gee, why would they be even surprised? In Novigrad, rich quarter - strong negative reaction, slums - not so much. On Skellige, again, depends where and whose bodies. I would want CDPR to be real creative on this aspect of the game.

Actually, it would be nice if not all dead bodies would stay dead. Some nice monstering, at least in specific places (nice to have some quests for it as well) would be appreciated.
People's reaction should depend on the locale. In NML - gee, why would they be even surprised? In Novigrad, rich quarter - strong negative reaction, slums - not so much. On Skellige, again, depends where and whose bodies. I would want CDPR to be real creative on this aspect of the game.
Your GPU wouldn't take it. Plus you will have some freaking bugs if you walk over dead bodies. Take skyrim for example. Plus you will ruin your beautiful landscape with never expiring dead bodies.

Your GPU wouldn't take it. Plus you will have some freaking bugs if you walk over dead bodies. Take skyrim for example. Plus you will ruin your beautiful landscape with never expiring dead bodies.

Now that I think about it, there could be a simple step over animation. Although in some places it may end up like this 3:15+:

Btw what he probably meant wasn't the persistence of the dead bodies, but the possiility for some of them not staying dead (spectres, I don't know...)

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, there could be a simple step over animation. Although in some places it may end up like this 3:15+:

Btw what he probably meant wasn't the persistence of the dead bodies, but the possiility for some of them not staying dead (spectres, I don't know...)
And what I meant was in a huge city battle all those corpses combined with the coming guards will start to grill the GPU.

We'll have to wait and see the final product and result of final optimalizations. I'm prepared for some necessary compromises, but bodies turning into bloody bones right after the fight isn't what I expect from TW3.

I was reading an interview about The Witcher 3 and I read about how civilians will react to different types of things such as weather and pulling out your sword. But what will happen when they see a dead body? Will they scream and run away, will they pick up the body and discard it into a nearby lake or river? Will they even react at all.

Please give me your thoughts.

:cheers:

While it would be a nice added touch to the game, personally, I would rather that bodies of slain foes and monsters stayed visible for a much longer duration in Witcher 3. If I had to pick one option between your suggestion and what I just posted, I would go with dead bodies remaining on-screen longer.

I wouldn't complain if we had both in W3. With it now being an open-world and common memory limitations, I am not sure if they will be able to keep multiple bodies on-screen without having to make compromises else where.

That is a great idea IMO. Combine it with what I wrote above with slain and/or found remaining bodies and I could certainly see some quests & encounters in Witcher 3 make good use of this. Have a few slain corpses reanimate , possibly the handiwork of an evil dark mage.

Necromancy is outlawed but I surely do not see that stopping particular mages from practicing the dark arts. Then you could also have some who have died an come back as ghouls and gravier. Possibilities are endless really.

Last edited:
While it would be a nice added touch to the game, personally, I would rather that bodies of slain foes and monsters stayed visible for a much longer duration in Witcher 3. If I had to pick one option between your suggestion and what I just posted, I would go with dead bodies remaining on-screen longer.

Agreed. It was very annoying in TW2 trying to find the bodies of some endregas or rottfiends that you'd killed less than a minute earlier.

Agreed. It was very annoying in TW2 trying to find the bodies of some endregas or rottfiends that you'd killed less than a minute earlier.

Exactly. Plus, it also encouraged the spamming of the medallion. Not to say the medallion was worse than the "telepathic" knowledge from the first game,knowing where everything was. Speaking of, Makes me wonder if the medallion function will make a return in W3 or if they will have a brand new system?

If Geralt can pick bodies up and throw them, I'm gonna shave his head and call him Witcher 47.
View attachment 2855

Also when I open the quest log, I want a sexy and mature female voice AKA Diana Burnwood read Geralt's objectives to me.

Attachments

• 34680-hitman-logo.jpg
    34680-hitman-logo.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Exactly. Plus, it also encouraged the spamming of the medallion. Not to say the medallion was worse than the "telepathic" knowledge from the first game,knowing where everything was. Speaking of, Makes me wonder if the medallion function will make a return in W3 or if they will have a brand new system?
If it does come back, I hope its a new and better system. I can't tell you how many times I would click the left toggle in the heat of combat while playing TW2.
It kinda sucked, at least let us map some actions if we can. ;)

Top Bottom