Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
@The Fixer
You're reminding me of Alpha Protocol.

I would not expect Bioware to make something of similar quality and with that much freedom of choice. But it's not unknown for them to use a fight against a big evil as a means of furthering your own power if you so desire (KOTOR, Jade Empire, Origins, to an extent even Mass Effect 1). But I would not expect for the story to be that reactive to your choices and intentions.

@knightofphoenix

Heh. If only they could take the best from Alpha Protocol and their own games, they could make the definitive game about military-political power scheming. Too bad they'll probably never do it - I don't think it's even what their core audience wants and expects of them. Nothing bad about not wanting them to, of course, but I truly believe it's a shame.

I agree on the rest as well, I've always enjoyed the possibilities to further my character's own power that BioWare games offered. Then their last games happened, and everything was boiled down to angel good or psychopath evil. I had a blast with the Sith Warrior storyline in The Old Republic though, and although I think that's a totally different matter, maybe they could see the light if they really tried. Hearing that they're setting the dialogue wheel aside, even if partially, was a sudden joy for my disillusioned BioWare player self.

Last edited:
I would kill for another game like Alpha Protocol, and Fixer the Inquisiton won't go around butchering everyone. There will be a bad guy faction, the Red Templars, but pretty much everyone else you will make deals with. Also you will be involved in the Orlesian Civil War.

@Costin

I hope you're right. I recall hearing something about attacking strongholds of Mages or Templars somewhere, but they could have been referring to the bad ones only like the Red Templars. Add to that the recent debate about the Inquisition attacking Grey Wardens in the last trailer and you get a big mess of friends and foes, unless those are too, once again, a crazed branch of the order. That device would start to be getting quite repetitive, though.

Anyway, although I lost interest in Dragon Age's world after playing the second installment of the series so there could be things that elude me, I don't know what reason would stop a Qunari Inquisitor from taking action against the Circle or the Chantry, for example. Every one faction has their own reasons to be potential allies and enemies, after all. And that's where it all starts to get twisted and cheap plot tricks are usually exploited. I just hope they can make sense of it without defying common sense.

You have no idea how satisfying it can be to crush him completely and utterly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvGODzFCYK0#t=16m16s

So did you leave him fully-equipped for that scene just to make the video look better, or was I wrong about not getting his equipment back when he dies? I take him to the Landsmeet in his underwear, and without weapons.

(And, thanks to KoP in an earlier thread, I discovered that some of the best dialogue in the game is if you take Loghain with you for "Return to Ostagar". I really, really hope that they can get back to that standard of writing in DA:I)

(And, thanks to KoP in an earlier thread, I discovered that some of the best dialogue in the game is if you take Loghain with you for "Return to Ostagar". I really, really hope that they can get back to that standard of writing in DA:I)

Loghain and Wynne, yes.

The only good thing about that DLC (and Celene politics), which was useless otherwise. No, I don't care how tragic the music you use, I will not give a fuck about Cailan.

Last edited:
I feed him to the wolves, not out of spite, but to dismantle this darkspawn trophy and symbol of victory. And I RPed that I didn't have enough time or desire to have a funeral for him when hundreds of soldiers died in large part because of him.

So the most economical choice for me was to throw him to the wolves.

Well, I am highly moral concerning such things. Burying the dead is an indication of a higher consciousness of a species, you know. Cailan was a very young man who paid for his mistakes with his life. He deserved a proper burial. It is not like I have a personal hate for him to leave him as a trophy, or to throw him to the wolves.

I cut off his head. 'Tis quite funny.

And so did I. Several times.

I usually just leave him hanging there.

I feed him to the wolves.

now Zevran that's the fucker you should kill without question haha.

I feed him to the wolves, not out of spite, but to dismantle this darkspawn trophy and symbol of victory. And I RPed that I didn't have enough time or desire to have a funeral for him when hundreds of soldiers died in large part because of him.

So the most economical choice for me was to throw him to the wolves.

Brutal, but I cannot disagree. Gods I hated Cailan, after my first playthrough any subsequent characters always insulted him on their arrival to Ostagar.

Why exactly do you hate him? He was the only one who believed it was a blight, but he did not recognize a scale, exactly like anyone else. There was no blight for many years, you know. Battle plan was Loghain's who, as soon as shit hit the fan, ran away, instead of closing a choke point and giving people in nearby places time to escape. What a hell did you expect from Cailin? Hundreds of soldiers died because it is what soldiers do in time of a conflict. After Loghain ran thousands civilians died as well. Personally I despise Loghain for not at least trying to hold on at the gates, even after the battle, and to give evacuation orders, but I wouldn't throw even him to the wolves, or let him rot on a pole.

Last edited:
Cailan rushed into a battle despite the fact that his expert advisors, Duncan and Loghain, both told him that they weren't ready yet. His motive for doing so appeared to be personal glory - he didn't want to share that with potential allies. He was a nice guy, but not a good king, and not a good war leader.

Loghain thought he was putting Ferelden first, but he suffered from hubris - he believed in his own legend, that whatever he decided was automatically best for Ferelden. He was blinded by his hatred of foreigners, and ignorant of the fact that the Wardens were necessary in order to end the Blight. I think he was right to retreat, although if he could have found a way of doing it that didn't involve abandoning everyone else, it would have been better.

My Wardens thought that Cailan was an idiot who was at least as responsible for the deaths of the wardens at Ostragar as Loghain was. I didn't completely share that view. I thought they were both very human, complete with human flaws.

His nonchalant attitude towards the Darkspawn. He admits that he doesn't even know if it's really a blight. Doesn't even really listen to Duncan nor Loghain(granted he really should have listened to Duncan). He's too wrapped up in fantasy that his life as King would have probably been a joke. Then there's the issue with the Empress. If they bore a child together that would be heir to both Orlais and Ferelden. Giving Orlais both De Jure and De Facto control over Ferelden again which would have shamed his ancestors, and would have probably made him very unpopular.

That said I'm not bff with Logahain either. Could his reinforcements made the difference? 50/50 chance in my mind. To throw him to the wolves or leave him to rot? Depends on who I'm roleplaying. The bitch mage who used her female whims and magical prowess to attain higher power: wolves. The City or Elf: Rot. Danish Elf who despite being untrusting of humans respects life and death: burial. The exiled Dwarven Prince who can't stand him but respects fellow royalty: burial. Or the Noble whose father sweared fealty to the dumbass: burial.

But he always got insulted. As DB points out he got all(nearly) the Wardens and their leader killed which could have destroyed all hope then and there.

Last edited:
Dumbasses never succeed in life unless they have others helping them. Fuck the king!

Personally I would just let Cailan stay there, but Loghain insisted.

No, I don't care how tragic the music you use

Bioware has used that bullshit several times over. Oh yeah Cailan the adulterer, who was willing to sell his own kingdom to Celene. Cailan who led thousands of good men and women to their deaths.I piss on his corpse.

Last edited:
I didn't really give a crap about Cailan, but then again my Duster was a survivor not a royal lackey, however he wouldn't respect a man who charged out of a natural chokepoint against superior forces or anybody who thought up such ludicrous strategy. As I recall I killed fairly much everybody except for Sten, Shale and Dog as they were the only interesting ones. Chopped off Lilly Allan's head, still wonder how she stitched that back on?

Shit forgot.

Edit: THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION.

The Theirins are full of idiots, but charismatic idiots ....

Cailan was a fool, charging the darkspawn to have the war look like a damn ballad .... Although I let Alistair have his revenge even though Loghain's reasonings were justified; he still let more innocent people die than Cailan's plan would ever harm, and because Duncan (Al Mualim) was a badass who deserved to be avenged.

I let Anora become queen though, Alistair didn't want the throne (didn't do his quest).

The funny thing is, I always spare Letho in Witcher 2, the reason why I spare Letho is because of good writing and him being a bro to Geralt, Loghain on the other hand was a madman.

Last edited:
Top Bottom