Sexism in the Witcher Series [SPOILERS]

+
I am praying (and I'm an atheist) that CD RED are going to seriously tone down the sexism. No slut shaming, no nude models of Triss, Yenneffer and CIri as tacky pr. I understand that it's a dark world with all that implies but still, please try and keep it classy guys - maybe take a leaf out of Tomb Raider to see how to handle woman characters.
Sorry my friend, you should play another game. Devs would ruin the game for many others if they would do that.
Do you really want witcher game without sexual content? And what about new GTA without guns or cars?

There is one strange thing about those complains. Every time I saw some complains it was always about nudity. No one is offended by brutal scenes, blood, stabbing, amputations etc., but nudity is problem?!

I don't want to pillory you, but your request is inappropriate and impracticable (in Witcher world). And I believe it would be big disappointment to many others.

There is one strange thing about those complains. Every time I saw some complains it was always about nudity. No one is offended by brutal scenes, blood, stabbing, amputations etc., but nudity is problem?!

Exactly what I am thinking.

Man I love classic Tomb Raider on PSX, that was part of my childhood right there. The new game is a complete mockery of the franchise.

I think many people confuse Sexist with Sexy, but I believe most people have said that already in this thread. Sex sells and as such many games/movies/books etc use it, that won't change in the foreseeable future either.

Ioverth IS sexy!!! WOW! even with this ugly scar of his wound...

Wait! Am I being sexist now?

I'm not going to go into a lot of details, but I will say, the sex cards and the depiction of romance and sexuality in TW1 was pretty juvenile and shallow. This is not something that persisted into TW2, as I think the devs significantly improved their writing and depiction of romance, female characters and sexuality in TW2. But it is definitely something that persisted through all of TW1 and needed to be improved upon. Hopefully TW3 will continue their more mature and believable depictions of romance and sexuality that we saw in TW2 and leave the juvenile depictions of TW1 long gone in the past.

Exactly my thoughts.

And to expand on that: apparently topless or nude Geralt (TW2) is fine, but a topless Triss causes an uproar ?

If those people are so concerned with equality, they should start with themself.

we could also say: apparently bottom Triss (TW2) is fine, but a bottom Geralt causes an uproar?

Hm, not with me.

I wouldn't mind Geralt being without pants in my game as long as it fits into the context.
It's no big deal, really.

I know how sexism can be awful, not a fan.
So I'd hate The Witcher if it was sexist. But I honestly don't think it is.
In The Witcher 2 I missed Triss, it's true. But I liked Saskia, even Philippa.

And I remember playing The Witcher 1 and there was this female NPC in Brickmaker's village complaining she couldn't leave her house, only Vaska could be present in the 'public sphere' so to speak. I remember she was complaining about not being allowed to leave while I was stealing her food. Honestly, if people at CDPR were misogynists or sexists would they allow that female NPC saying that? Would they even allow Vaska as a character? I don't think so.

Not to mention that, as many said, The Witcher depicts a brute world and sexism is sometimes a part of it. Actually, I like this 'realism'. I like to see how women (or some women at least) deal with it and strive despite the male dominance. That's probably why I like Triss and Shani so much in TW 1. And I think CDPR sometimes don't even go that far. I mean, if you think in what really happened in History, how women and men were and are brutalized, the Witcher's world is not even that cruel.

Another thing: just look at what people call misogynist/sexist in TW. Honestly, as someone here pointed out before (sorry, I forgot your name), the problem seems to be SEX. Not SEXYSM. I'd go further and say the problem seems to be HETEROSSEXUAL SEX. I have nothing against gay people, much to the contrary, generally they have this great energy. I had gay friends, I love and respect them. But why gay love/sex/nudity is celebrated and straight love/sex/nudity isn't anymore? What is so horrible in a nude female body?

People talk about "objectification". Well, surprise, to grow up is in part discover that you (male or female) are one object among others in the world. Of course all of us are humans with feelings and desires, but sometimes we are also objects. Sometimes there will be people looking at you like you are one. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not. But have no illusion about this. You're an object in various circumstances.
AND there is far more serious problems in the world then some nude girls in a game. Last week a guy was shot for nothing close to where I live, he was leaving the bakery. So I don't want to sound arrogant but perhaps some nudity is not the real problem. If it was a game saying all the time how women are discussing and inferior, I'd be worried. But it's not. Much to the contrary. Besides, in TW, especially in TW 2, women are generally well dressed. If they were all dressed like DA's Isabel (a character that I like, by the way), I'd worry, but just a little. Not a real problem, really. Giggles worthy if much.
But of course this topic will never end...

His pants are off in scenes where his lil' Geralt is... out of view.

In other scenes, where it's more difficult to hide, they just put on pants. Personally, I think CDPR should have just been a bit more creative with camera angles in those scenes.

Or just shown his beard splitter. They weren't shy of talk of pricks and cunts elsewhere... so it seems a little prissy to not show his iron.

Or just shown his beard splitter. They weren't shy of talk of pricks and cunts elsewhere... so it seems a little prissy to not show his iron.

Getting an AO rating is no joke though, as most retailers won't touch your game. And that's what showing genitals will earn you.

Which Tomb Raider?
The newest one?

My lord, please do not make me laugh, the newest TR was trying to spill "controversy" with a not existing almost-but-not-really-rape scene, that was yet just another QTE sequence.
Wait, what? The rape scene is accompanied by a QTE? ROFLMAO

I thought this was a parody or troll thread too, but I think people are just conditioned to see sexism everywhere and anything that's unsettling gets that label slapped on it, or racism or homophobia. Or all of them. It's really freeing to ditch those sensibilities and not go around primed for outrage.

In short, what tiadelamar so eloquently said.

I had gay friends, I love and respect them. But why gay love/sex/nudity is celebrated and straight love/sex/nudity isn't anymore? What is so horrible in a nude female body?

Let's have hetero pride parade!
It's time for us, straight people to do this!
yes, it's a bit outfashioned and so not REAL, but... Man and woman having sex... Making babies... It's SO boring that only in computer game in a medieval setting we can look back on such stupid things. No funny gay friends, no problems of coming out, no adopted babies... Just a man (Geralt) loving a woman (Yen). SO BORING!

Top Bottom