(Spoilers) Realistic Reflection of Previous Choices in The Witcher 3

+
I personally have agonised over all my choices in the witcher 2 and replayed the game many times over doing many different things, So i am curious to see what sort of things they implement in the next game, say I sided with Iorveth but freed Triss instead of helping Saskia, and keeping her alive, will there be a quest to help her in the next game?
I played with and without killing Henselt, if he dies in the witcher 3 (siding with Iorveth from 2) you did not uncurse him from Sabrina's curse, so will they have a civil war over who should rule next?
Maybe i am to invested and reading too much into it when it may end up having little to no impact.

I personally have agonised over all my choices in the witcher 2 and replayed the game many times over doing many different things, So i am curious to see what sort of things they implement in the next game, say I sided with Iorveth but freed Triss instead of helping Saskia, and keeping her alive, will there be a quest to help her in the next game?
I played with and without killing Henselt, if he dies in the witcher 3 (siding with Iorveth from 2) you did not uncurse him from Sabrina's curse, so will they have a civil war over who should rule next?
Maybe i am to invested and reading too much into it when it may end up having little to no impact.

EDIT - didn't read sorry

I don't think there will be entire quests based on previous choices. They will probably involving little cutscenes of dialogue options/lines. Devs can't really develop sidegames based on all the choices made in TW2, but hints and flashbacks which I think will be appreciated anyway.

Last edited:
This thread just made me remember why The Witcher 2 is one of if the the best game iv'e ever played
Please use the SPOILER function, you are really giving major details about characters and story of Witcher2 (maybe someone who reads hasn't played it yet).

I don't think there will be entire quests based on previous choices. They will probably involving little cutscenes of dialogue options/lines. Devs can't really develop sidegames based on all the choices made in TW2, but hints and flashbacks which I think will be appreciated anyway.
You're kidding me? This thread is a spoiler-fest as of itself and its title say so

Last edited:
I'm not expecting any big impact but it would be nice to hear from other NPC's what you did before TW3 +
maybe a few cameos or side quests ?

it makes the experience more personal like it really is "my" Geralt
hopefully they won't just retcon it all or just don't mention it ( don't know whats worse) and give us a default Geralt
Even if we make big choices in TW3 I would still be pissed because it wouldn't be my Geralt

Sadly this could happen since some sort of save game import (or something like Bioware's Keep) isn't on their high priority list
we haven't heard anything about it
and then people blame Bioware for not respecting choice...yeah right

They've said a few times that they were exploring the possibility.
thats not really reassuring..
I absolutely love how we got to make these big choices in TW 2 but whats the point if a game set in the same world featuring the same protagonist doesn't explore
the consequences in some way (and I'm not even talking about whole quests changing, just people reacting to what you did some more hostile than others etc.)

Didn't they confirm it for the PC and announced they were probably going for a list-based choice list on consoles unless they can adapt a cloud-based saves import (through how would you go from e.g. PS3 to PS4? Dunno personally my only console was PS2 with its proprietary save cartridges).

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 56
And here I was randomly checking up on the forum for the first time in weeks. Looking back on my original post, I still stand by everything in it even though a year has passed.

If we're talking hard numbers, I think a half dozen sidequests that directly reflect consequences of The Witcher 2 would do it (which would total closer to double that, given that they should vary slightly or drastically depending on TW2 choices).

-a quest directly involving your Bro from TW2.
-a quest directly involving the interests of the nation you supported in TW2. If you mostly spent TW2 wrecking nations and pissing people off, perhaps a bitter remnan the nation you did the most damage to
-a quest directly involving someone very important that you spared in TW2 - Sile is the first to come to mind, but there are many others. Henselt. Stennis.
-a quest pertaining directly to the Order of the Flaming Rose/Scoia'tael, depending on which you sided with in the past. Siegfried in particular really ought to appear if he survived TW1, since he's one of the only characters to make it into both games in a prominent role (besides Geralt's main crew).
-a quest that reflects the north vs. nilfgaard conflict so thoroughly set up and played out throughout TW2. Does killing or aiding Cynthia have consequences? What if Shilard makes it out alive?
-and some quest that, in the true spirit of the witcher, demonstrates unintended/unanticipated consequences of an action in TW1 or TW2. A bitter character seeking vengeance is the typical example, but there's lots of other ways it could go. Bonus points if CDPR makes it hinge on something people totally forgot about - like whether or not Coleman got killed in the Scoia'tael drive-by way back in TW1 Chapter 2.

Given that CDPR boasts of 50 hours of sidequests, that's pretty reasonable, I think.

They can't recognize choices in a way that significantly changes the story because that would be lock off content to people who haven't played the first two games. For that reason, Letho can't play a major role in the story because the player might've killed him.
Since the Witcher 3 doesn't take place anywhere near Witcher 2, characters like Stennis and Hensalt probably won't be mentioned except in journal entries or a brief line of dialogue. I expect the fates of Temeria and Upper Adeirn/Lormark will get more recognition since those are things the player effects no matter what path they chose.

The thing that puzzles me is how they will recognize the fate of the Council and Conclave of Mages from Act 3. It seems like urban areas like Novigrad and Oxenfurt would be drastically different if magic is outlawed. The ending-reel says people begin to deeply distrust magical beings of all kinds --including Witchers-- if Triss Merigold doesn't expose the Lodge. That means Geralt would be treated drastically different in Novigrad depending your choices from Act 3. I'm not sure how they will recognize that choice without it changing the game in a significant way.

To illustrate what I mean, here are links to the two endings you can get depending on your choices in Act 3.
http://youtu.be/tS9ieGS3HB4?t=4m40s

http://youtu.be/caWp-52q7Qg?t=7m27s

Two other quick thoughts:
  • I am really curious whether we will see Yaevinn in the game since he wasn't in The Witcher 2. We already know we will get to see Roche so it's possible we could see Iorveth and Yaevenn as well.
  • I hope there are as many references to your choices in The Witcher 1 as there are to your choices in the Witcher 2. Just because the Witcher 2 came later doesn't mean it should have precedence over your choices in Witcher 1.

Last edited:
I am one of those players that plays and replays games until I am satisfied i have done everything i could the way i liked and made the best of situations that are handed too me. I am keen to know what impact both my witcher 1 and 2 games have in the third game as it might effect which endings i want to transfer over. So would be nice to have some sort of hint as to what I can expect. I also accept that other people like surprises and don't care either way.

I doubt they'll come up and tell you any the consequences of your actions from past games in TW3 or even hints. Personally I hope they don't. Makes those moments all the more exciting :)

Sidenote: I wonder if they will introduce a Witcher Genesis (like Mass Effect Genesis) to take players through some important decisions in the previous games.

That would be a good feature to add. Even for people who played the other 2 games but don't want to go back and replay it all, just to see one or two choices different.

But I think they will implement it in the way Guy N'wah said in the second post of this thread. They can't chance the game to drastically on our choices. It will block off some of the content of the game for some people, and CDPR said you wouldn't need to have played the other games to know whats going on in TW3. So I expect some side missions, mentions of characters influenced by our choices, some dialogues here and there and just some mentions throughout the world.

What kind of fallout would you like to see left over the witcher 2?

At the ending of witcher 2 there was 4 major outcomes. Weather upper Aedirn, or Temeria became functional nations. If the mage's guild was refounded, and if Letho lived, or died. Because I spared Letho I wouldn't mind him returning the favor in some form. What sort of impact would you want your decisions to have on the current setting.

[h=1][/h]

Well I saved Temeria from being devided, by giving Anais to John Natalis, but all mages were massacared in Loc Muinne by Radovid the Impaler. It's also my favourite ending.

So I hope that mages are still hated / hunted in W3 based on massacare ending.

Last edited:
I don't expect that our choices will have a big impact.
We saw in the SoD trailer that Nilfgaard took over Vizima. So it probably won't matter if Temeria is divided between Radovid/Henselt, a protectorate of Rediana or divided between its barons. Maybe we will see some Redanian/Kaedweni soldiers in Velen or hear people talk about it, depending what happened to Temeria, but nothing more.

About the mages choice: We saw in the 35min demo that there are "Witch Hunters" in Novigrad. As far as I rememberer there weren't any in the previous games, so I assume there will be always a pursuit of mages.

I'm mainly interested in which of the killable characters will return. We know Letho will be back (thanks for that CD Project! one of my favorite characters)
For the others:
Arjan La Valette: Could be back, as we will spent at least 1/3 of the game in Temeria and the La Valette castle is not that far away from Velen and Novigrad.
But I expect rather his mother re-appearing, because she can't die in Witcher 2.
Don't expect more than minor changs, depending if the La Valette Castle was temerian or Nilfgardian at the end of Witcher 2.
Loredo: Not important enough.He dies in 3/4 cases. We won't visit Flotsam
Stennis: We won't visit Aedirn. Doubt he will be back
Henselt: We won't visit Kaedwen(not counting kaer morhen). Doubt he will be back
Saskia. We won't visit the pontar valley. Doubt she will be back::(
Sheala: That's difficult. There is definitly unfinished business with her if we let her live. If there will be another returning characters from the ones, that are killable, my bet would be she is one of them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom