Welcome Thread [Archive]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
That you mate? You look kind of exposed...
I'm a decoy. :(

From your time with IDF? Must have been interesting.
Interesting, yeah. Challenging. It's Israel, so, you know, the political climate is stormy. Serving in combat units in the IDF tends to meet you with all sorts of scenarios that are thought-provoking and unusual. Sometimes sad, sometimes touching in a positive way.

That picture is from reserve duty. We're recruited for the regular three year service at 18-21 (barring exceptions - I was recruited a year and a bit later), but after that we continue in reserve duty until 40, give or take. So we're called in once or twice a year for training or just standard duty. That light-blue hat of mine wouldn't have worked exactly in the regular service.

Last edited:
An Israeli guy I once met told me by the time you're done with military service you feel "oldish" and so many people don't pursue graduate education. I think that's too bad.

Is there a way to be exempt from this?

An Israeli guy I once met told me by the time you're done with military service you feel "oldish" and so many people don't pursue graduate education. I think that's too bad.

That's surprising. I actually think that there's something of an inflation of BAs in the Israeli market. The standard secular Israeli mindset goes: Highschool -> IDF -> Half-year journey in South America or Asia -> University, and the average student age is accordingly 23-24. It's relatively old to the rest of the world, but here it's regular.

That's surprising. I actually think that there's something of an inflation of BAs in the Israeli market. The standard secular Israeli mindset goes: Highschool -> IDF -> Half-year journey in South America or Asia -> University, and the average student age is accordingly 23-24. It's relatively old to the rest of the world, but here it's regular.

Unless you do the psychometric exam early, and get to university before the army, then...join the forces and serve till you're 30.

Maybe it has something to do with being out of school for a few years and having to deal with the real world, making the prospect of going back for more lectures seem repetitious, useless, and detached from reality.

There are factions in Israel who propose professional army. However too many political forces are benefiting from the current system since army is easily used as a social dividing factor (since some oppose it ideologically like religious groups and so on). I.e. with professional army some parties which thrive on social division will simply be greatly reduced in numbers. Also army is used as a social filter in many places like work, and so on. It's kind of inherited from soviet like approach of the early labor parties in Israel.

Last edited:
I'm a decoy. :(

Interesting, yeah. Challenging. It's Israel, so, you know, the political climate is stormy. Serving in combat units in the IDF tends to meet you with all sorts of scenarios that are thought-provoking and unusual. Sometimes sad, sometimes touching in a positive way.

That picture is from reserve duty. We're recruited for the regular three year service at 18-21 (barring exceptions - I was recruited a year and a bit later), but after that we continue in reserve duty until 40, give or take. So we're called in once or twice a year for training or just standard duty. That light-blue hat of mine wouldn't have worked exactly in the regular service.
My time in the Finnish Defense Forces was pretty relaxed in comparison. Just the fun stuff without mortal peril. Drove around the Finnish countryside and blew shit up.

Fun times.

Back to topic!

Steam box

amidoinitrite?

Now that my 970 has arrived, I can finally say I'm done with upgrading for a little while. I'll probably pick up another 970 to SLI before W3 comes out, but I finally feel up to date enough to run it well.

View attachment 8950

Now my rig consists of:
♦ i7-4790k with a Seidon 240M watercooler attached
♦ ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Formula
♦ 16 GB of 1600mhz RAM
♦ Gigabyte G1 GTX 970
♦ 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD and a 4 TB Seagate external drive
♦ My old Antec 1000 watt PS
♦ All inside a Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition case

Attachments

• 20141230_154428.jpg
    20141230_154428.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 55
Nice stuff @shinobi2u . What monitor?

I'm toying with the thought of 970 SLI and 1440p for my computer-to-come. Just not sure yet how committed I am to a big expense.

Dual screen setup with a 24" BenQ RL2455HM (for my primary computing) and a 46" Samsung LED TV (for when I want to play something with other people or watch stuff). Had those from my last setup and they still serve me well.

My last computer was a decent budget computer and it had been several years, plus my motherboard and old graphics cards gave up the ghost, so it was time to do some upgrades and I wanted a little heftier setup this time. Bought most of my stuff during the Black Friday and holiday sales here which helped.

That "big expense" will be totally worth it though :p
Agreed. A quality monitor will last you at least a couple of PC cycles. Personally I've already saved up around a grand for my next display upgrade but just haven't decided which monitor I want. This one looks promising though.

Last edited:
Agreed. A quality monitor will last you at least a couple of PC cycles. Personally I've already saved up around a grand for my next display upgrade but just haven't decided which monitor I want. This one looks promising though.

Dat currrrve.

I have an LG E2242 LED monitor, but I am thinking of getting a dual 970 SLI build like everyone is going for just for Witcher 3 :p

But I should upgrade my current monitor, it is 60 hertz max, I have an HD 47 Inch TV right next to my monitor (that damn TV is taking like half the space of the wall of my room) but it is 90 hertz, I hope I will be able to upgrade the monitor by then :p

Dat curved monitor though ..... damn ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom