Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The topic at hand is about a potential downgrade of Witcher 3 and not downgrades of other games. Posts have been deleted.

The topic at hand is about a potential downgrade of Witcher 3 and not downgrades of other games. Posts have been deleted.

Have you seen the trailers for The Witcher 3? They are terrible. Stuff doesn't look like how I see stuff in real life, why can't they try harder? I've compared some screens from the recent video(preview of upcoming Twitch stream) to older shots from the 35 minute demo... and from my advanced understanding of texture mapping I can tell. There has been a significant downgrade. The downgrade is so massive that I feel I will have to tell my grandpa and he will cancel Meatloaf Sundays. This is a plague on all of Poland.

I've also heard the boasts of over one hundred hours of gameplay. I played Dragon Age: Inquisition and I got bored after ten hours! All I can say is I when will devs start focusing on quality rather than quantity. I LOVED Skyrim, but TW3 map is even bigger?! It will probably be full of empty space and this disappoints me. Why am I always disappointed by things? There is always something wrong and I always find a reason to criticize things.

/endsarcasm(and my impression of Witcher threads on other boards)

Please cd project red, release a HQ gameplay video from the pc version with ultra settings and give it to a website like gamersyde.com so we can settle this whole downgrade argument once and for all. This is getting ridiculous.

Ultra settings likely has not been finalized yet at this point. I wouldn't expect to see it till the very end, as they're likely to be enhanced Gameworks tech with the exception of higher quality textures..

For me they can in principle downgrade the graphic all they want to make it run smoothly. I am not a graphic nerd and never was, however I am a huge sucker for "life" and atmosphere which I have stated earlier in this thread. That is my only real concern with the possibility of a downgrade - that the game looses some of that life and atmosphere I saw in the first trailers (VGX, SOD).

For me those two factors are what makes a game come alive and it does levels to immersion that no "clean" amazing graphic can ever do. Therefore what I hope for is that they haven't removed the trees moving in the wind, the water reacting, the windmill turning, the grass swaying, the dust blowing up when reacted to, pollen blowing away, the clothes hanged out to dry swaying, children playing, glass breaking, people reacting to one another, people working, horses grassing and I could go on. Give me all that and not some dead clear cut state of the art graphic and I will be happy.

I have show it before, but this gif captures very much my point. The world seems alive, not because of stunning graphic (which it is) but because there's life and atmosphere in the world.

For me they can in principle downgrade the graphic all they want to make it run smoothly. I am not a graphic nerd and never was, however I am a huge sucker for "life" and atmosphere which I have stated earlier in this thread. That is my only real concern with the possibility of a downgrade - that the game looses some of that life and atmosphere I saw in the first trailers (VGX, SOD).

For me those two factors are what makes a game come alive and it does levels to immersion that no "clean" amazing graphic can ever do. Therefore what I hope for is that they haven't removed the trees moving in the wind, the water reacting, the windmill turning, the grass swaying, the dust blowing up when reacted to, pollen blowing away, the clothes hanged out to dry swaying, children playing, glass breaking, people reacting to one another, people working, horses grassing and I could go on. Give me all that and not some dead clear cut state of the art graphic and I will be happy.

I have show it before, but this gif captures very much my point. The world seems alive, not because of stunning graphic (which it is) but because there's life and atmosphere in the world.

well technically speaking the term 'graphics' refers to visual images produced by computers...so technically everything you've mentioned from the swaying of the trees, the movement of the windmills, pollen blowing away is part of that visual graphic. all that interaction without the graphics would just be vector paths and polygons.

That said, and getting back to the point, we have seen NOTHING like that gif ever since its first incarnation. It's sadly likely pre-rendered and most likely the average gamer would not even be able to render that in real time without HUGE amounts of GPU stress and stuttering. That said I still think they should allow us the right to turn on such options if we have a beastly PC with multi-GPUs. The worst thing they can do is not allow us to make it like that because they've pigeon holed all of us into 'the average gamer with average hardware' category.

Last edited:
Visuals include multiple things - technology, art direction, aesthetics, asset quality & fidelity. It's counter productive to group everything into one without understanding each of them.

Moving on, there's two sides to that:
1. It's a trailer, it follows the rules of cinematography, videogames do not, they are not a passive experience and will never be an exact recreation of every scene.
2. There's multiple elements coming together in that scene - particles flying, 'life', the shot, the scenery, the rule of thirds - it has interesting elements. It's the magic of cinema. If you want the same scene recreated then you'd need all the systems to work together which would make it static - you need a wind blowing with all the particles, you need the people moving/doing stuff in that order, you need 'interesting' things to look at. That is not going to happen all the time while playing a game. There's SO MANY ELEMENTS TO IT - NPC AI behaviour, weather system, camera angles, location, particle effects triggered by wind(s).

Sure you can line up shots and videos once you have the perfect angle etc but that has nothing to do with graphics unless you're expecting a static world where the wind blows continuously, people keep performing the same actions and in the same location

The journalists played the prolouge area, i imagine it is more polished. it is important to note not all effects are on.

And yes. I do acknowledge quality seems to be going down over time.

Last edited:
Nobody talk about each monitor from different brands, different calibrations, different gamma levels...

No
http://i.imgur.com/8h77NKy.png

No
http://i.imgur.com/Ci2O4te.png

Again, the parallelism with those failed games is incredible.

If you don't know what texture resolution and bump mapping are don't talk about textures. The resolution in the crysis 2 texture is amazing, and there is real depth thanks to bump mapping. Compare it to the texture in the former link http://i.imgur.com/8h77NKy.png. Change the angle as much as you want and it will look just as good in both cases.

These "jokes" used as denial were also common in the failed games. Jokes, passive aggrevise comments, vague excuses and shamelessly admiting blinding hype seem to be in the manual of the good fanboy.

thank you

i was just going to writ the same exact points but i see you did it firs. this is a dwongrade guys. no question asked. no tasselation, no fur tech on creatures, lover quality textures on fliyng monsters no filters no post procssing. if this things are cutted out for the prewiew to not make console look bad than ok, props to you i see your points, sale stuff etc. etc.

if we cannot unable them in the PC this is falt out downgrade and total disgrace. that's just what it is if that's the case

Those images are on the lowest quality! there is no way that can be ultra, the blood looks horrible! The ground is a terrible mess!

Those images are on the lowest quality! there is no way that can be ultra, the blood looks horrible! The ground is a terrible mess!

exactly.

if this isp resented as ultra settings on PC all enabled this is a 100% flat out downgrade.

on the other hand if that is console settigs than is really trly the best they could do with the kind of teck xbox one and ps4 have, i'm beeing fair here

---------- Updated at 04:04 PM ----------

Look, say what you want. Game looks really good. Yes, previous materials (e3 2013, vgx) looked much better, but what we have now still looks very nice. What I am going to write does not refer to artistic direction which is jaw-dorppingly fantastic, it refers to rendering technology. It is just pure speculation but:

[Option nr 1] - CONSOLE FOOTAGE - Highly possible - they are showing the game using console footage or pc with settings similar to consoles, because they are afraid of downgrade shitstorm and backlash from console users. Imagine the situation like this: You see almost CGI quality gameplay footege (PC Ultra), you buy the game on XO or PS4, game looks nowhere near as advertised in gameplay, generation of diffrance in gfx. Downgrade shitstorm begins 1000 times stronger than now.
So long story short they are showing console quality footage and after the launch of the game PC user will be positively supprised. Noone will bitch about it.

[Option nr 2] - DOWNGRADE - highly unlikely, almost worst case scenerio, graphics were downgraded because there was no hardware available for ordinary consumer that can run the game at acceptable framrate, so they decided to lower the graphical settings.

[Option nr 3] - platfrom parity - highly unlikely, defenetly worst case scenerio. They made the game looks the same on all 3 platforms because they are evil bastards!

Personally I'll stick to option nr 1. But we will see 19th of May.

this is also worth of noting. i aggree. and is most likely option 1

but we need confirmation. i will be EXTRAMELY unhappy in option 2 or 3 are the case. i expect this kind of bullshit from criminal il Ea or ubisoft, not from Red. if this is the case and we are witnessing the final doom and consolization of the last trustworthy company on the market, as i already said before, i quit gaming forever. there is hust nothing for me here anyomre if that's the case

from macfoshizzle from his impressions on Neogaf: "Yeah this is the event that i was from my impression thread. It was a Microsoft/CD Projekt event with all xbox ones. No PC or xbox controllers on PC's."

The game was not played on PC, HELL YEEEESSSS!!!

I don't understand some of you, guys.... Here crying for downgrade graphics based in screenshot that haven't been made nor generated in your PC... and there crying because the speccs of system requierements are madly high!

What do you want?

i have in fornt of me a 4000+ dollars system right now i build SOLELY for the propouse of beeing able to run this game in the quality shoen in the vgx trailer. excuseme if now i pretend to have that quality not dumbed down to console level, my firend thank you.

as i said max scalability is justice for everyone.
downgrade and forced parity is downright CRIMINAL. and i stand by my word till i die

I really hope the guys over at CD Projekt RED didn't Graphically Downgrade the game. That would be pretty shitty and disappointing. I guess when it comes to games, I like both great gameplay and a really great art style/ graphical quality and everything else. I think all facets of a game should be amazing, no compromises. But hey that's just me.

When you see an awesome trailer at E3 or another event you really want that game am I right? it looks cool, great, immersive, and even alot of fun. But then a new trailer comes out closer to the launch of the game and you notice it doesn't look as good anymore. It's just... a shitty feeling that you won't be able to get the version of the game that you saw before... it doesn't exist anymore and there is this new version of the game that looks good but not as good as before. Like I said before it's a shitty feeling.

People don't want to get burned after last years pretty disappointing releases and now people are much more hyper vigilant to not get burned again. I don't see why that's a bad thing. I'm sure alot of these people calling downgrade would love to be proven wrong. But unfortunately with what they have seen so far it seems that calling out a downgrade is justifiable.

Then again we don't have the game so we don't know 100% but it's better to be cautious than to buy the game for $60 or $150 and be disappointed.

My 2 cents.

Edit: I guess just to give you an idea of how people feel it's more like this:

Last edited:
I really hope the guys over at CD Projekt RED didn't Graphically Downgrade the game. That would be pretty shitty and disappointing. I guess when it comes to games, I like both great gameplay and a really great art style/ graphical quality and everything else. I think all facets of a game should be amazing, no compromises. But hey that's just me.

When you see an awesome trailer at E3 or another event you really want that game am I right? it looks cool, great, immersive, and even alot of fun. But then a new trailer comes out closer to the launch of the game and you notice it doesn't look as good anymore. It's just... a shitty feeling that you won't be able to get the version of the game that you saw before... it doesn't exist anymore and there is this new version of the game that looks good but not as good as before. Like I said before it's a shitty feeling.

People don't want to get burned after last years pretty disappointing releases and now people are much more hyper vigilant to not get burned again. I don't see why that's a bad thing. I'm sure alot of these people calling downgrade would love to be proven wrong. But unfortunately with what they have seen so far it seems that calling out a downgrade is justifiable.

Then again we don't have the game so we don't know 100% but it's better to be cautious than to buy the game for $60 or $150 and be disappointed.

My 2 cents.

thank you. i agree and i might add this

what i don't condone here latly in this industryi is this forced communist-like phyolosopy in witch "equality" and "parity" is somehow forced on the consumer.

i 'm all for everyone beeing able to paly this excellent piece of art on any system they can efford so everyone can enjoy this BUT this company started as a PC company, almost the totality of his old fan base is mae by pc gamers. and we are no equal by definition, to consoles. we are EXTREAMELY different from one another pc to pc and we cannot be compared to consoles wich are ALL the same compared from one to the other. what i'm saying here is that in the Pc world you have to accomdodate for people who posses build as strong as and old gen console but also people who posses rig as strong as 20 times an xbox one.

one thing is to make the game playble for everyone. another thing is forcing someone who spend the quivalent of 10 ps4 ( not joking ) on a system to than be forced to play at the same quality level as and incredibly supbar system ( for obvious resons) for "paraty" this is bullshit and criminal. make the game scalable. if i can eford lowest settings i play lowest settings. if i can efford max settings i play max settings. especially since they showed the difference is REAL. we are not in a kindergarden here, most of us are adults. i work to be able to enjoy my hobby and i will NOT be constrained by kids wo just want to cry becouse they cannot play the best at the best settings witout having to dish the cash for it. and that's just it. if this downgrade happens to be true ( i hope not,but if) this is the last game i play and the last product in the industry i purchase. i will not be blackmailed by this system, i have many other hobbies in wich i can invest my money.

from macfoshizzle from his impressions on Neogaf: "Yeah this is the event that i was from my impression thread. It was a Microsoft/CD Projekt event with all xbox ones. No PC or xbox controllers on PC's."

The game was not played on PC, HELL YEEEESSSS!!!

Link? that's odd, because Marcin confirmed the game was played on PC. Maybe that was in Europe.

OT: For what it's worth, I think this game will look astounding on both consoles. They're gonna show the industry the difference between these hack cross-gen jobs, and a real next gen game. We saw those screens from Famitsu and those were some of the most impressive yet. I still believe those had to be from the PS4. I also feel the reticence from CDPR is straight up MS policy. This is exaclty how those guys operate - you can't even talk about other platforms in some cases. The notorious SF4 PC port comes to mind. I waited a bloody year with Capcom trolling fans ( it's coming, it's not coming, it's coming...uh, just kidding it's not coming) when in fact they had it in the works all along, they just couldn't say anything about it. I understand CDPR had to deal with MS's bullshit initially as that's the console they debuted on, but after this I hope they distance themselves. I know there's other major devs who show no preference to either console giant, Rockstar comes to mind.

Last edited:
i have in fornt of me a 4000+ dollars system right now i build SOLELY for the propouse of beeing able to run this game in the quality shoen in the vgx trailer. excuseme if now i pretend to have that quality not dumbed down to console level, my firend thank you.

as i said max scalability is justice for everyone.
downgrade and forced parity is downright CRIMINAL. and i stand by my word till i die

But you'd seen plenty of material since the VGX trailer, and in December you were already aware of what they were showing and expressing concerns.

And that was before you spent $4000, as two weeks ago, you didn't have that rig. So how could you have been misled?

---------- Updated at 12:33 AM ----------

Link? that's odd, because Marcin confirmed the game was played on PC. Maybe that was in Europe.

I suspect they're both correct. On the assumption that macfoshizzle was there, maybe the event he went to was run on Xbone, and the one used for the recording was on PC or multiple platforms?

But you'd seen plenty of material since the VGX trailer, and in December you were already aware of what they were showing and expressing concerns.

And that was before you spent $4000, as two weeks ago, you didn't have that rig. So how could you have been misled?

what is saw in december was acceptable. what i saw in the very last video is not. i repeat half the filters/Pc featurs are CLEARLY tourned off.

ithat's a fact. point is if this is microsoft bastards grabbing you by your balls and you are forced with a gun to your head to do this. i not only undrsteand i also comply to your decision. more money for you, is more quality product for us. BUT if the option are cutted out for good and forever, THAT is were lies the downgrade, i hope you see what i'm saiyng here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom