You are our last hope, CD Project Red!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, take it outside if you're going to continue in that tone.

Esthetic judgments like whether a game is memorable or not are always matters of opinion. Everybody else can take your statements as opinion without any need to qualify them as such.

What will make you the moderators' lawful prey is trying to represent matters of opinion as fact, or trying to hold that another member's opinion is false or foolish.

I respect CDPR and I think they are good developers, with a good attitude towards the players and they love their work and their games. They try to push it harder everytime and it surely is something to praise.

But hell, the "last hope" thing seems to me quite exaggerated. If CDPR was the only developer making good games that would be rather boring for gamers. Fortunately things are different, and there are also other good developers which CDPR itself respects (being respected in exchange) and sometimes takes as an inspiration.

Bugs and glitches which were fixed with the following patches and free-of-charge Extended Editions. Anyhow, there were no game-breaking bugs in either W1 and W2, IIRC. And which games exactly didn't have bugs on the release in the past 10 years? Nostalgia? Yes, indeed. I, personally, am very nostalgic for a time when RPG fans weren't treated as a 3rd class citizens in the gaming industry.

Of course there is no game without bugs. That's the whole point of my post. Actually, in that regard, there was no difference between CDPR and other companies in the past. And W2 had indeed game breaking bugs, some of them aren't even fixed until today (QTE with Kayran, crash at the beginning of Flotsam,...). But yeah, CDPR solved most of these issues with updates and the Enhanced Editions. But other companies did the same so it's not quite right to call CDPR "unique" in that regard imo.

Of course there is no game without bugs. That's the whole point of my post. Actually, in that regard, there was no difference between CDPR and other companies in the past. And W2 had indeed game breaking bugs, some of them aren't even fixed until today (QTE with Kayran, crash at the beginning of Flotsam,...). But yeah, CDPR solved most of these issues with updates and the Enhanced Editions. But other companies did the same so it's not quite right to call CDPR "unique" in that regard imo.

I agree. What does make CDPR unique (IMHO), is that they are still catering to hardcore RPG fans, without dumbing down and oversimplifying the game mechanics, story and RPG elements for "The Masses" (*cough, BioWare, *cough).

I agree. What does make CDPR unique (IMHO), is that they are still catering to hardcore RPG fans, without dumbing down and oversimplifying the game mechanics, story and RPG elements for "The Masses" (*cough, BioWare, *cough).
^not oversimplifying yet.
We have not had a game from them since long, and with the franchise getting seemingly very big I would be very cautious about stating this as a fact.
I trust them not to oversimplify however, that's true - still eyeing the Witchersenses, though.

They seem to at least make an effort to publish the game in an acceptable and fairly above standard shape, which would be a nice change of pace for once .
The last two Rpg/action games I bought/preordered where bull*** (DS2 and LotF), so this definitively was my last preorder (a CE, though!).
They have several advantages, though -
1) they are not super established yet, so they have to actually care about their reputation (in contrast to EA, etc)
2) the fact they decided to postpone the release several times
3) they have been open to criticism and suggestions, seems they care about their fanbase
4) they seem to have learned from their past shortcomings in term of gameplay - surely there will be new quirks, but learning from mistakes is sadly a seldom trait in a gaming company these days

tl,dr:
looking good so far

^not oversimplifying yet.
We have not had a game from them since long, and with the franchise getting seemingly very big I would be very cautious about stating this as a fact.

Yes, indeed, remains to be seen once The Witcher 3 is released. My claim isn't a fact, and won't be even after the game is released. However, I like (almost) everything I saw up until now (trailers/screenshots/gameplay videos), and remain hopeful for that "RPG fan's dream come true" CDPR has promised us.

You are our last hope, CD Project Red!

Just kidding OP ;)

From what I've read and seen from the long hands-on last month the game seems to be in a condition that many other companies would just have launched. Texture pop-in and wonky horses are the kind of de rigueur problems that lots of AAA games seem to be at peace with, and quest bugs usually get fixed in the day one patch. CDPR seem to be taking their time to get it right. Of course, there could be some nasty problems in the deep bowls of a game this big that snap your game save in half or give all your hard earned orens to Billy the goatherd. Some of these can't be caught until you have millions of people messing around with your game.

It could be a steaming pile of excrement, I doubt it, but it could be. As for last hope - a bit dramatic, but who ever thought the space-sim would come back?

I feel like I'm fan of very good and potential football team but this team is not the eldest(long history and archivements), biggest, richest, largest fans but this team have ambitious and good enough to win the leagaue. (RPG leauge) That's it, when you're fans of football team you can't change your favorite team so easily, can you?
It's pride, passion and trust on your favorite team.
Every team has strong points and weak points but overall performance must be the best to win the league.
RPG games need very good story too. Adventure game such as Telltale games has very strong points at emotional story telling, camera, voice acting dialog. Other than that rather good graphic, gameplay is decent but they're successful at their scale. I love The walking dead.

Minor glitched is acceptable if it not break gameplay because this game is so big, so many variable equipment on PC, play style etc., it's impossible to perfect or bugs free at launch.

Shareholders, Customers, Fans, Cash flow etc. They can't wait too long.

No pressure of course. :)

Last edited:
D:OS was fantastically balanced. The people that made DA:I's horrible combat should be forced to play it.

bit of OT here, but well, regarding D:OS (fully agree with DA:I)
it was the best game in years, but the AI sucks horribly and later (lvl 10+) on in the game it gets far too easy, even with source difficulty mod on hard.
also there was the thing with stacking fire resistance and just using explode skill, carrying barrels around blowing every enemy group up, glass cannon+shield spell+lone wolf = (almost) immortal omnislayer character...a certain...guy being twice as hard as final boss :>

you can be op, that's fully legit and the goal of character developement in an rpg, but gameplay still should be challenging. that was the point and reason that i personally think the mechanics aren't balanced/polished enough. (so many ways for cheesy gameplay^^ yeah this is in every game, but a man can have dreams, can't he ;) )

BTT:
i brought that game up because it's an example for a game that has strong beginning, a nice mid game, and a lacking ending.
beyond any doubts, TW3 will have an awesome early game - story, gameplay. challenge, side missions, lore, exploration etc.
if the world really feels alive later on, if your actions have impacts on how you have to do things, quality of quests, skills going op or being to weak, we'll learn at the release.
maybe i'm worrying too much, maybe i'm creating a "problem" where there is none, but maybe i'm just tired of being disappointed.

gaming is one of my hobbies :) not only do i care about the quality of a game, but also the people behind it - heck i felt incredibly sad for piranha bytes while playing G3, was even more bothersome than the disappointment...

just imagine you like to run alot, and every time you buy new shoes, they hurt your feet :D and then there's this awesome company that um...developes some new kind of awesome sneakers...this expamle already feels ridiculous, but you get my point do you ;)

Adventure game such as Telltale games has very strong points at emotional story telling, camera, voice acting dialog. Other than that rather good graphic, gameplay is decent but they're successful at their scale. I love The walking dead.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like TT games. Stories are good but trying too hard to be more emotional and I hate QTE and their gameplay revolves around it. I hope other adventure game devs won't follow their lead; point&click and the systems used in longest journey or broken sword 3 is just fine. While playing any TT game I should feel that it's an adventure game plus additional gameplay and story choices, right? But instead I feel like I'm playing an RPG, missing most of the features.

I'd rather wait for another 5 years
Yo I don't know about all that, I kinda want the game to come out when they've said it'll come out now. We've been definitively patient enough, and postponing it any longer would also make them look ridiculous. I mean, if the game is not ready I don't want it to come out yet then either, but it better be god damned ready this time around when the release date hits.

bit of OT here, but well, regarding D:OS (fully agree with DA:I)
it was the best game in years, but the AI sucks horribly and later (lvl 10+) on in the game it gets far too easy, even with source difficulty mod on hard.
also there was the thing with stacking fire resistance and just using explode skill, carrying barrels around blowing every enemy group up, glass cannon+shield spell+lone wolf = (almost) immortal omnislayer character...a certain...guy being twice as hard as final boss :>
Well, the difficulty of DOS depends a lot on how much you min-max. In a game that offers that many possiblities it's almost impossible to cater to every taste and every playstyle the more you progress in the campaign and the more freedom players have to use tactics and skills. If you balance the game "properly" for the ultimate min-max strategy (which is indeed what you describe!) every other playstyle only leaves you with frustration because enemies are way too hard in the end. There shouldn't actually be just ONE valid strategy how to level up your chars and how to fight in encounters. So the endgame balancing is kind of weighted between different playstyles, leaving the min-max players with a too easy experience, even on hard. But Larian is working on the problem and their working on a super-hard mode for DOS for these kind of experienced min-max players.

Getting back to Witcher, we shouldn't forget that Witcher 2 suffered from some similar problems. The game was pretty hard in the beginning and the first chapter, but for many experienced players it was too easy later on and especially in the final act. And with open world and a huge amount of freedom it will be even more difficult to properly balance the game so I don't expect Witcher 3 to perform better in that regard. I fear that balancing will be a real problem in Witcher 3, just like it was in Skyrim, DAI and other such games...

While playing any TT game I should feel that it's an adventure game plus additional gameplay and story choices, right? But instead I feel like I'm playing an RPG, missing most of the features.
No, not really. TT games are almost an own category. It's basically an interactive movie with choices and consequences being the major selling point and some basic adventure elements on top of it. I don't see how these games should be RPGs? There is no level progression and actually no combat at all (except some rare predefined QTE sections)...

Last edited:
TT game I should feel that it's an adventure game plus additional gameplay and story choices, right? But instead I feel like I'm playing an RPG, missing most of the features.

Sorry, for my english.
Please don't get me wrong, Actually the TT games in my opinion is interactive story telling. I dislike point and click too it's the same as 35 years ago game in apple computer.
I said the gameplay is decent because
1. I focus on their story telling, emotional, dialog, camera, environments, sound
2. I can't imagine better than point and click, become the basic of old adventure game style.

for a strong reason 1 then reason 2 is less important and acceptable for me. :)

I don't see how these games should be RPGs? There is no level progression and actually no combat at all (except some rare predefined QTE sections)

They shouldn't be RPGs, this was my point actually. "Choices and consequences" is from RPGs and maybe the most important element of RPGs(bethesda disagrees). When someone calls an action game with character progression and inventory, an RPG, I ask: "Where is the branching story, C&Q?". And this is why I feel TT games are RPGs but they miss most other features you mentioned.

As many of you are surely aware, the modern RPG titles all have one thing in common: they are unpolished and on the technical standard of beta versions.
Dragon Age Inquisition

Attachments

• i-m-watching-you-t-shirt-meme-monday-edition_design.png
    i-m-watching-you-t-shirt-meme-monday-edition_design.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 60
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom