Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Damien twitter:

Odd that they say "part of improving" when many have said that the original screens were better. Obviously there's people who think otherwise, that the newer stuff is better/the same.

I honestly don't mind the graphics as they are currently. I find they don't fit the "theme" I was hoping for (dark and gritty, akin to earlier screens), but the game still looks good. Hmmmmm, the lighting. <3 I just wonder why there was a change in the way they went about doing things graphically.

I think it's a case of accommodating the lowest common denominator (Xbox One). Such a damn shame.

It looks like it's running on two different platforms, or generations separate graphics cards.... It's not a downgrade it's totally different ballpark here. The top screen cap is vastly superior to the bottom one, lighting, particles, shadows...

There was a time where early trailers and early screenshots were considered "marketing", and no one expected the final product to look that good, nowadays it seems that these are taken as if they were supposed to represent the final product, well, guess what, the optimization hammer will do its work no matter how you whine, I don't know where the them "downgrade" come from but I know it has been overused since Watch_Dogs, yet, that game was an extreme example, it was delivered without most of the tech announced and this without proper warning, is it the case for The Witcher 3? Well no, we know what we will get (so far) and most of the tech announced is still present.

I feel there is a distinction to make between "downgrade" and simple (normal) optimization process. I would also like to point out that we have no idea at what settings all these comparisons were made, seems a little premature to scream "downgrade!" at this point when all we can see is a few difference in textures, for the most part...

Although PC gamers are not in the minority compared to Xbone owners, they represent much less of a unified group with much bigger choice than title starved Microsoft box. That, and the deal with M$... yup, it's a damn shame, but hey, they'll make bank and get Cp2077 done...

So the first few responses to this thread were sarcastic and uninformative, intended to derail the thread and distract from it's purpose, from people whom would otherwise defend the game. The post's I've read claiming downgrade have at 'least made an effort to backup their judgement, and at'least the OP had the courtesy to backup their claim with "evidence".

Everyone just be civil. BOTH parties to this discussion get too carried away. Thank you mods for keeping the thread open.

Just for no repeat what I've said more than twic in others thread.

I've no need to claim for a product I've not in my hands, I'm not a harcore tech fan, so I can easily look like a permisive fan, and talking in Englsih would open doors to misinterpretation of my words (as it has already sadly happens).
You don't need to feel afraid about this thread will be keep open because, as it's said for some mods (people who I respct for their job and patience, and even I like one or two... yeah, what did you expect.. I'm an older user here) while there's no be rule broken everything will be OK.

I would propose this to the OP.

When judging a game's graphics you have to look at the graphics as a whole to make a fair assessment rather than judging the visual fidelity of the entire game based on a few details. Although there are things that look worse than the original previews (anyone can easily see that) there are other things that are noticeably better. For example, the lighting and character models.

They have been through 56 iterations of the graphics engine after all. And when designing a game you're forced to make graphical concessions in some areas in order to achieve the level of detail you want in other areas with the limited power that you have. Evidently CDPR felt that for an open-world Witcher game character models and outdoor lighting was the most important things to emphasize in order to capture the feel they wanted.

Last edited:
There was a time where early trailers and early screenshots were considered "marketing", and no one expected the final product to look that good, nowadays it seems that these are taken as if they were supposed to represent the final product, well, guess what, the optimization hammer will do its work no matter how you whine, I don't know where the them "downgrade" come from but I know it has been overused since Watch_Dogs, yet, that game was an extreme example, it was delivered without most of the tech announced and this without proper warning, is it the case for The Witcher 3? Well no, we know what we will get (so far) and most of the tech announced is still present.

I feel there is a distinction to make between "downgrade" and simple (normal) optimization process. I would also like to point out that we have no idea at what settings all these comparisons were made, seems a little premature to scream "downgrade!" at this point when all we can see is a few difference in textures, for the most part...

We're not whining. We're being critical, we're making our voices heard, we're providing feedback. Yes, some of us are more negative than most, but I think others (hopefully me included) are being reasonable.

I already love the look of this game. But I preferred what it looked like earlier, which is why I question it.

I could go on and on about how I dislike quest markers, highlighting enemies etc but it's part of casualization and unless there's a "Hardcore" mode or mod I won't be getting what I want. :D

there was a time where early trailers and early screenshots were considered "marketing", and no one expected the final product to look that good, nowadays it seems that these are taken as if they were supposed to represent the final product, well, guess what, the optimization hammer will do its work no matter how you whine, i don't know where the them "downgrade" come from but i know it has been overused since watch_dogs, yet, that game was an extreme example, it was delivered without most of the tech announced and this without proper warning, is it the case for the witcher 3? Well no, we know what we will get (so far) and most of the tech announced is still present.

^this!

Can't reply, as I don't know what GPU does consoles have. I believe we have to wait for post May 19th benchmarks to see what videocard we will need to run the game the way we want it.

Consoles have a GPU equivalent to a 750ti in terms of performances, this is why I mentioned that GPU. :asd:

I would propose this to the OP.

When judging a game's graphics you have to look at the visual fidelity as a whole to make a fair assessment rather than judging the graphics of the entire game based on a few details. Although there are things that look worse than the original previews (anyone can easily see that) there are other things that are noticeably better. For example, the lighting and character models.

They have been through 56 iterations of the graphics engine after all. And when designing a game you're forced to make graphical concessions in some areas in order to achieve the level of detail you want in other areas with the limited power that you have. Evidently CDPR felt that for an open-world Witcher game character models and outdoor lighting was the most important things to emphasize in order to capture the feel they wanted.

i think characters models are vastly superior than those form debut trailer but not from SoD
also lighting was changed

i have nice pic for lighting change
compare light quality on buildings in background

vgx trailer

it looks simpler now more stylized and catoonish

Odd that they say "part of improving" when many have said that the original screens were better. Obviously there's people who think otherwise, that the newer stuff is better/the same.
Possible is that he meant the general performance on consoles when he spoke of "improving" the build. I just hope the PC crowd won't have to suffer because of it. The initial reveal footage looked gorgeous.

Now it looks so...ordinary. Not bad...but ordinary.

Yes, people did have those expectations because this was CDPRed we were talking about not EA or Ubi... an indie dev, taking on a AAA blockbuster title, a knight in shining armor, the paladin that will show these corporate monsters how it's done. And then they made a deal with the Spencer, started pushing his box and the whole storm started. With a few dents and blemishes CDPRed seems to stay strong, albeit on shaky legs, their messaging contradicting each other, is it PC is it Xbone? Trying to stay true to their core ideals but also honor the deal with the dark lord Spence, they have to navigate the murky world of AAA gaming and survive with their honor intact....

I could go on and on about how I dislike quest markers, highlighting enemies etc but it's part of casualization and unless there's a "Hardcore" mode or mod I won't be getting what I want. :D

We've already been told that there will be an abundance of UI options available to us, and they will be separate from the gameplay difficulty.

See part of the ongoing difficulty that "poisons" discussions here - it seems - is some people do not follow, or choose to forget certain disclosed details.

i think characters models are vastly superior than those form debut trailer but not from SoD
also lighting was changed

i have nice pic for lighting change
compare light quality on buildings in background

vgx trailer

it looks simpler now more stylized and catoonish
Looks like non-metal materials don't reflect light anymore. :/

The fact is...with the PC version you don't have limited power at all. Even if doesn't exist a PC capable to run it with the graphic quality similar to the screenshots/trailers, it will be exist in the future.

I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing a potential downgrade. The question is whether people can do so in a calm, and civil manner while providing ample evidence to support their opinion, instead of just saying things like:

Well, I'm certainly not going to tell people what I think they can or can't do around here, but so far, there's absolutely nothing in this thread that hasn't been discussed a million times over in the previous one. We've beaten this dead pony so hard into the ground, it's probably in China by now, and straight answers from Marcin also did nothing to stop the other thread. I really don't see what else can possibly be gained from talking about this anymore, we'll just have to wait until the game's out and we actually know what it looks like.

But of course waiting and seeing and not talking about stuff isn't what online forums are for, so... you know.

See part of the ongoing difficulty that "poisons" discussions here - it seems - is some people do not follow, or choose to forget certain disclosed details.

Thank you. I was about to write something like that. It's easy to forget what you choose to forget and go on and on.

On a side note, the game does not look as dark as it did but i kinda like it more like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom