map

+
My thoughts exactly. Or is the big body of water part of the Pontar Delta? It almost looks like that on the ingame map, but that would be a strange delta.

Yes, that is the Pontar Delta. On the map from the first game, we see the islands in the delta-mouth just a bit better than in the second game map. Although the mass of water to the norhwest of Novigrad, by the compass, is coastal sea.

Attachments

• Delta.jpg
    Delta.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
What gets me excited is that we will get to be in yet another Northern Kingdom this time around (Redania!), we already had Temeria, select locations in Aedirn and Kaedwen in TW2. (Technically Kaer Morhen is in Kaedwen) :p.

Anyone remember Kalkstein from TW1, he studied at Oxenfurt University and I thought to myself back then "damn I hope I would get to see it in game one day, sounds like a great city! too bad we probably won't ever see it". It also was a somewhat important location in the books, it was where Dandelion had lectures at the university about poetry. The hype is strong my friends!

What gets me excited is that we will get to be in yet another Northern Kingdom this time around (Redania!), we already had Temeria, select locations in Aedirn and Kaedwen in TW2. (Technically Kaer Morhen is in Kaedwen) :p.

Anyone remember Kalkstein from TW1, he studied at Oxenfurt University and I thought to myself back then "damn I hope I would get to see it in game one day, sounds like a great city! too bad we probably won't ever see it". It also was a somewhat important location in the books, it was where Dandelion had lectures at the university about poetry. The hype is strong my friends!

Really curious how they did the university as well

Guest 3702081

Yes, that is the Pontar Delta. On the map from the first game, we see the islands in the delta-mouth just a bit better than in the second game map. Although the mass of water to the norhwest of Novigrad, by the compass, is coastal sea.
I'm sorry, I should have been clearer about which part of the delta I was speaking about: it's the rather prominent body of water around Fyke Island in the south west. It's simply too big for my taste and I hoped there would be more solid ground in No Man's Land. But the dimensions in the south are also a bit hard to judge due to the smaller maps of the Skellige Islands and White Orchard covering the lower part of the map.

on polish forum someone calculated from distance and time traveled in 35 minutes gameplay that novigrad+NML can be traveled on default horse speed in 10-15 minutes. Those PR speak about full horse speed and 40 minutes seems silly

No, no... you misunderstood me. I meant with which numbers he worked? Where did he take the exact distance from for do this calculation?

I'm also curious how that was calculated. Not the formula used to do it but how did they find out the actual distances.

we have distance A from one gate to another, and time of travel T
we have also full map so we have longest distance between north and south B
so time to travel map = (B/A )* T

You'll also recall that the devs stated right after the demo was shown that movement was sped up for demo purposes - limited time and all that. So, while making calculations based on incomplete data is fun and great, let's not make claims about what seems silly and what doesn't ;)

No, no... you misunderstood me. I meant with which numbers he worked? Where did he take the exact distance from for do this calculation?

You have these map, and these gameplay

Distance between Novigrad gate, and the canal is 40s. in a straight line. You can put these distance on the map, from north to south, it give you 23 postponement.

23x40/60=+/-15 min

You'll also recall that the devs stated right after the demo was shown that movement was sped up for demo purposes.

And in your opinion, Geralt ride on his horse faster in these distance, than in real game? Naive

Yeah I mean it takes Geralt about 87 seconds to travel through that portion of Novigrad. Using that distance on the map and saying laying it down on the map in approximately equal distances. It would take about 15 minutes to get to the bog. Going from the fat Northeastern Corner to the far Southwestern corner would take about 20 minutes it looks like to me.

There is also another map of almost equal size in Skellidge islands (Nov./NML is 72.5 km2 and Skellidge is 64 km2). So if you started at the furthest point from the Ard Skellidge port on Skellidge, then went to said port, then sailed to Novigrad, and the road a horse to Bald Mountain it probably would take about 30-40 minutes.

If the guy said 40 minutes to cross just Nov./NML then I agree it doesn't appear to be accurate. But adding the two areas together you will likely almost get there. Plus there is the prologue area and Kaer Morhen which are both open regions within the game. Regardless of how long it takes by horse the point is that its HUGE when compared to the previous games and much larger than most other open world RPG games I have played in the last couple counsel generations

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer about which part of the delta I was speaking about: it's the rather prominent body of water around Fyke Island in the south west. It's simply too big for my taste and I hoped there would be more solid ground in No Man's Land. But the dimensions in the south are also a bit hard to judge due to the smaller maps of the Skellige Islands and White Orchard covering the lower part of the map.

No need to be sorry. All the water on the map looks as though it's either directly, or indirectly connected to the Pontar. But, you're quite right, there's rather a lot of it! I suppose we'll see Geralt in his boat very often.

Yeah I mean it takes Geralt about 87 seconds to travel through that portion of Novigrad. Using that distance on the map and saying laying it down on the map in approximately equal distances. It would take about 15 minutes to get to the bog. Going from the fat Northeastern Corner to the far Southwestern corner would take about 20 minutes it looks like to me.

There is also another map of almost equal size in Skellidge islands (Nov./NML is 72.5 km2 and Skellidge is 64 km2). So if you started at the furthest point from the Ard Skellidge port on Skellidge, then when to said port, then sailed to Novigrad, and the road a horse to Bald Mountain it probably would take about 30-40 minutes.

Ard Skellige is +/- 10 min running, no chance, both map in galop give you 40min.

So if Novigrad and NML is about 72.5 km2 and Skellidge is 64 km2? I wasn't sure of those numbers. That seems pretty huge, impressive.

Ard Skellige is +/- 10 min running, no chance, both map in galop give you 40min.

Maybe I was unclear. The way you get between Novigrad and Skellidge Islands is a port on Ard Skellidge. Going to the point furthest away on the map (probably the south eastern island), and then rode/sailed to the port would take between 10-15 minutes.

---------- Updated at 12:12 PM ----------

So if Novigrad and NML is about 72.5 km2 and Skellidge is 64 km2? I wasn't sure of those numbers. That seems pretty huge, impressive.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04...s-by-themselves-3-5-times-larger-than-skyrim/

Well, the speed of a horse galloping is about 40-50 Km/h... then Novigrad/NLM are separated by.... 10km? You know math and me are not great friends...

First off, it's been established that basing actual in-game speed on this (or any) demo, as it's namely a demo, is unreliable.

Secondly, we don't even know what is meant from one end of the map to the other. Is it from one corner to the other, because that increases the distance? Is it from North to South or East to West?

Furthermore, the devs are clearly talking about distance in a straight line that also includes inaccessible areas of the map. For Skellige, that includes water etc. which you wouldn't really be able to use a horse at anyway. The point is to give a basic idea of the size of the world. It's a general statement and should be taken as such. I'm not even sure if that statement was made for NML + Skellige or just one of those maps. If it's both, and we know that they're both of almost the same size, when you include water, then if it takes you 15-20 minutes in the demo to cross the entirety of Novigrad + NML, and you add Skellige to that, then that statements starts to look realistic even if movement wasn't sped up.

Finally, with all of the above said, the developers are the only ones that actually have the full informtation, they know exactly how big their map is and what horse speed at full gallop is. I'm not saying the claim of 40 minutes at full gallop is definitely correct, all I'm saying is we shouldn't make bold statements based on data that is incomplete, and without knowing exactly what was meant by that statement in the first place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom