Building a gaming PC

+
Of course it is quiet, but I'm talking in comparison to the MSI one. Before I got my MSI GTX 980 I had a Gigabyte 780, it has the same cooler as the Gigabye 970. The fans on the MSI card are more effective.

To give an idea I'm running my GPU fans at a constant 65% on my MSI whereas on my Gigabyte card I would run them at 45% and they would be lower then the MSI ones.

Gigabyte 780 ≠ Gigabyte 980

Maxwell cards in general run cooler and quieter.

Last edited:
I dislike mini-ITX. It is more expensive and has less selection of components and less capacity than micro-ATX. Mini-ITX cases capable of handling a large graphics card are large and expensive, larger than micro-ATX cases.

I have a mini-ITX system. I like it because it has the power and fits in a bag.

My case is Ncase M1, full waterclooled(MB, CPU, GPU), just a little bit bigger than a Xbox One.

CPU Temps when crazy gaming stays around 60c, topping at 70c.
GPU temps never goes above 50c.

CPU: i7 4770k at 4.2ghz
GPU: GTX Titan overclocked
MB: Maximus VI Impact, it has more features than most full size boards.

Last edited:
I heard there are some micro atx fanless setup. Is it really possible? You guys heard anything about that?

Yeah, no wonder, it's a 3 fan setup. All I'm saying is that the Gigabyte 980 is not that noisy compared to previous models.

It's actually the same noise level if you're at 100% fan speed, but realistically given the better heat management on the 900 series versus the 700 series the amount of times you will get to even 90% fan speed is higher on the latter vs former, along with how much time you'll spend at that speed.

Had a EVGA 970 (2 fan) which was defect so I had it returned and bought a Gigabyte one. So far the Gigabyte (3 fan) one is a bit louder but a lot cooler just has a bit of coil whine at times. During Haven benchmark the EVGA one would hit 85 degrees at around the 11-12 scene and crash the system, the Gigabyte one was at 63 after all 26 scenes.

So far from th 970GTX's I've seen. I wouldn't recommend the Gigabyte, I found it too loud compared to others. Not the worst but definitely not the best one.

Zotac 2 fan smaller models: too loud, too hot, medium coil whine
Zotac Omega core: cool, pretty silent, coil whine only noticeable in benchmarks.
EVGA too hot, annoying fans okayish coil whine.
Gigabyte: fans too loud, coil whine was annoying even with game sound on.
Galax/G2A: piece of crap, returned to store because the coil whine was painful, gave me a headache. The fans aren't just loud it's like standing next to a vacuum cleaner. The good thing is people with less sensible hearing won't hear the coil whine at all as the fans are just so damn loud. Also not recommended for pet owners, may involve animals going crazy.

Asus strix OC: damn that thing is silent and cool.. Coil whine only appears at 200+FPS in benchmarks. I can hear it, boyfriend couldn't.

Even then the coil whine can be devastating and hits at random. order two identical cards one has it, the other not.

Zotac 2 fan smaller models: too loud, too hot, medium coil whine

I have this, I've not noticed coil whine. As far as "too loud, too hot" is concerned, I can't comment with regards to other 970s, but it's definitely better than the 670 I had before it.

It's actually the same noise level if you're at 100% fan speed, but realistically given the better heat management on the 900 series versus the 700 series the amount of times you will get to even 90% fan speed is higher on the latter vs former, along with how much time you'll spend at that speed.

I have a pair of Gigabyte 980's and made a custom fan profile for both. At 50% - 60% fan speed they are not that audible. At 70%, they are audible but not unbearable. Of course the preference will vary from person to person but a lot of guys told me that they become too noisy at high speeds which isn't the case. I consider "too noisy" when the blower style fan rotates at 60% speed, that is indeed unbearable.

That said, Gigabyte's cooling and OC potential is just one of the best, even at 1526 Mhz, they don't break 72c and that's when the top one has limited airflow due to bottom card. The bottom one runs at 61c - 63c.

I heard there are some micro atx fanless setup. Is it really possible? You guys heard anything about that?

Sorry missed your post mate, I don't have much knowledge about fan less micro atx setups though Googling about it shows there are some possibilities but they are often targeted as HTPCs not full fledged gaming PCs so I'll have my doubts. Why do you want a fan less design btw ? (noise ?), you can go with full water cooling but that'd be expensive for sure.

Sorry missed your post mate, I don't have much knowledge about fan less micro atx setups though Googling about it shows there are some possibilities but they are often targeted as HTPCs not full fledged gaming PCs so I'll have my doubts. Why do you want a fan less design btw ? (noise ?), you can go with full water cooling but that'd be expensive for sure.

I was just wondering about the numbers of fans I'd go with. I thought about five. Then I read about the fanless stuff and I told myself that maybe 5 was too much. I don't want a water cooling system by the way. And every setup I've seen have those ( carbid air 240 ) so Iam lost with my fans. But d'ont worry, you gave me the answer I wanted, so thanks :)

Last edited:
^ I say 4 are good for ample air flow, I have Cooler Master Storm Sniper (big case) for my gaming machine and I just installed 4 fans in it, 2 for intake (One 120mm and one 200mm) and 2 for exhaust (One 120mm and one 200mm) and they provide sufficient airflow for the entire case. For Carbide Air 240 I am using it for a custom test server in my office, it has room for 5 fans but I think for your application 3 or 4 will be more than enough.

^ I say 4 are good for ample air flow, I have Cooler Master Storm Sniper (big case) for my gaming machine and I just installed 4 fans in it, 2 for intake (One 120mm and one 200mm) and 2 for exhaust (One 120mm and one 200mm) and they provide sufficient airflow for the entire case. For Carbide Air 240 I am using it for a custom test server in my office, it has room for 5 fans but I think for your application 3 or 4 will be more than enough.

Thanks. You are great man :D

For those who want cool and quiet - wait for 14nm chips from Nvidia. At least I don't plan to upgrade my GTX 680 until then.

Just a hint: also AMD will have 14nm Chips (both CPUs and GPUs), and probably even ahead of Nvidia, who are currently still associated with TSMC and their delayed 16nmFF+ process, whereas AMD's spinoff GlobalFoundries has already ramped up the low power 14nm process in collaboration with IBM.

Just a hint: also AMD will have 14nm Chips (both CPUs and GPUs), and probably even ahead of Nvidia, who are currently still associated with TSMC and their delayed 16nmFF+ process, whereas AMD's spinoff GlobalFoundries has already ramped up the low power 14nm process in collaboration with IBM.

Second half 2016, and the initial products will be Zen-architecture CPUs, no GPUs announced yet. This may change at their analysts' meeting next month, but they are clearly not releasing 14nm product for at least a year. It will still be faster than nVidia will get any 20nm or 14nm product to market.

Last edited:
AMD hasn't announced their new GPU products far in advance in ages; their new flagship Fiji is something like 8 weeks away and all we know about it is (informed) speculation.

Top Bottom