Geralt Using a Torch

+
Geralt Using a Torch

I realize I am nitpicking here. The game looks amazing so far.

That said, this particular detail bugs me.

Geralt using a torch in dark areas is so out of character, I am not sure why the designers decided to go that route.

First of all, Geralt can drink a cat potion to see in the dark. He does that because he is usually the hunter. He stalks his prey. He wants to stay hidden. As soon as he lights up a torch in a dark area, guess what.....now he just became the biggest monster magnet in the area.

So here is my question. Is the cat potion still in the game so that we don't have to actually use a torch at night or in caves?

Like I said, this is a minor detail and I am not trying to complain. Just wondering if this is a voluntary mechanism.

Thank you in advance for answering my question.

Speak for yourself... I love going torch in hand. ;)

Geralt cannot see in pitch blackness, so yeah take a Cat potion... can't just gurgle them down like ale, nah... a torch is a perfectly valid strategy at times.

and he could use them in TW1, they were great.

I took it as all part of the challenge... and you've reminded me we've no idea yet what Cat looks like in 3, thanks ;)

I took it as all part of the challenge... and you've reminded me we've no idea yet what Cat looks like in 3, thanks ;)

Will it look like anything? Torch makes perfect sense if CDPR couldn't "adapt" the Cat potion to the new alchemy system. And torches are certainly more... dramatic or cinematic than night vision. Not that I'm defending them.

Will it look like anything?

Cat? Its unthinkable for the game to launch without Geralts professions' goto potion. Getting the visuals right is no trivial matter.

It occurs also, there no hope of removing torches from the game, sure isn't Geralt carrying one or two for others ;)

Its unthinkable for the game to launch without Geralts professions' goto potion.

You're saying it like CDPR can't do the unthinkable.
Changing half of the game depending on your choices?
Going almost-open-world and hand-crafting three massive areas?
Switching the Swallow icon to a generic red health potion?

But nevermind that. Of course, I'd be surprised if they drop the Cat or completely change its effect, but they ARE pushing the torches and we still haven't seen or heard anything about the Cat, as far as I know.

Cat potions turn the beautifully detailed gameworld into arcade bright neon blinders. They're lore friendly but ugly. They've never been implemented in a desirable way so I say bring on the torches.

Optional. If level of toxicity are to high for drinking Cat torch is wellcome. And just for who loves use it too

Agreed.
Always good to have alternate options.

We all know Geralt has troubles in caves where the light is almost non-existent. And if he has no cat potion or his toxicity is too high it's a good way to deal with it. After all - I am sure - you do not HAVE to take a torch with you.

... but they ARE pushing the torches and we still haven't seen or heard anything about the Cat, as far as I know.

Torches are a return to the franchise, and a welcome one... torches are unbeatable as a tension delivering portable light source in games. IIRC there was a minor hullabaloo around Cat effects last time a Witcher launched, makes sense to me to keep it under raps - its something easily criticised by a few resulting in the early experience of many tainted.

I don;t expect Cat to provide perfect eyesight, simply altered eyesight that enables darkvision.

Torches are a return to the franchise, and a welcome one... torches are unbeatable as a tension delivering portable light source in games. IIRC there was a minor hullabaloo around Cat effects last time a Witcher launched, makes sense to me to keep it under raps - its something easily criticised by a few resulting in the early experience of many tainted.

Cat caused a "minor hullabaloo" because it was a mess. Instead of smooth night vision, it gave Geralt x-ray vision. I can't see anyone complaining about it if they went to W1-style Cat or came up with another good visual effect. And either way, this is no reason to hold back information about the Cat.
And yes, I know that torches were in W1, but I doubt you were intended to actually use them in dark spaces, considering how awful they were. :facepalm:

considering how awful they were.

And now we're into the realm of subjectivity, as not everyone shares that opinion. I like both implementations, and the circulatory system - heat more than xray vision - was never a problem for me, in fact I quite like it.

Theres plenty of specific infos we haven't got, and I respect the fact they aren't splurging every single detail of the game prelaunch, they released enough to convince me of purchase, lets just be having the game now.

Outside at night he should be able to see just fine even without cat. In crypts and caves where it is pitch-black is where cat-potion would be necessary.
Torches could be used as a substitute for cat in pitch-black caves, though I would prefer it if torches had some other use as well, like being able to keep certain monsters at bay with it.

My point in general though is that he should be able to see just fine outside at night, if this isn't the case I will be slightly disappointed. Though judging from the "Precious Cargo" video I should have nothing to worry about.

^ this. A torch out side would just limit his vision as his eyes couldn't adjust to see outside the light of the torch.

Thats just a fire hazard anyway, Geralt would know better. ;)

We're not going to get realistic darkness (except the totality of pitch ofc), so it's unlikely they would design the game such that a player would wish to use a torch outside regularly. I suspect the REDs see light & dark more from a narrative and tension point of view, and as a gameplay element, therefore giving the players a choice of solutions, and like previous games applying limits to those choices like toxicity & torch slotting, are exactly the kind of things we can expect. This is all part of The WItcher experience, is it not, wrestling with darkness?

Outside at night he should be able to see just fine even without cat. In crypts and caves where it is pitch-black is where cat-potion would be necessary.
Torches could be used as a substitute for cat in pitch-black caves, though I would prefer it if torches had some other use as well, like being able to keep certain monsters at bay with it.

My point in general though is that he should be able to see just fine outside at night, if this isn't the case I will be slightly disappointed. Though judging from the "Precious Cargo" video I should have nothing to worry about.

Agreed.

Yep.

Also, gameplay mechanics come first. Even if Geralt can see in the dark according to the lore, the torch is useful for people playing the game. Then wasting a cat potion only to find a cart is not a wise choice, imho. ;)

Top Bottom