The Witcher 3 - PC, Xbox One or PS4?

+

The Witcher 3 - PC, Xbox One or PS4?

• Total voters
Not sure, I do own a PS4 & an Alienware 17 notebook ...
I do habe an i7, 8 GB Ram and a 880GXT with 8GB graphical ram, but not sure if this is enough for 900p (display only supports up to 900p) + high settings on 30 FPS.
Normally not but maybe the fact that the display only is up to 900p gonna grant me some performance boost.

Any suggestions ? Opinions of people with more dedicated techno insight are really welcome ;) Do you think it's gonna look/run better on my notebook or PS4 ?
Considering 880M is only very slightly worse than a stock 770(recommended card for W3), I think you will be more than fine especially if your resolution is 900p. So, I think it'll look better on your notebook than PS4 on a similar display, but then again I'm biased. So, don't take my word for it:p

Considering 880M is only very slightly worse than a stock 770(recommended card for W3), I think you will be more than fine especially if your resolution is 900p. So, I think it'll look better on your notebook than PS4 on a similar display, but then again I'm biased. So, don't take my word for it:p

First of all thx for replying :)

Same thoughts here, 880M + 900p should probably work out, that I gonna hit the (for me) magical 30 FPS.
But who do I lie to ... when the preload is gonna be available through GOG, the possibility is high that I won't wait for official conformation regarding my question, but just preorder.

One's gotta be fearless as Geralt, when he wants to play him ^^

Same thoughts here, 880M + 900p should probably work out, that I gonna hit the (for me) magical 30 FPS.
But who do I lie to ... when the preload is gonna be available through GOG, the possibility is high that I won't wait for official conformation regarding my question, but just preorder.

I actually think you can expect more than 30 FPS with combination of high and medium settings.

Their requirements for Ultra was a 980 which ran it at ultra @ 1080p60. So, their recommended should atleast do high@900p60 without AA. We'll see.

I actually think you can expect more than 30 FPS with combination of high and medium settings.

Their requirements for Ultra was a 980 which ran it at ultra @ 1080p60. So, their recommended should atleast do high@900p60 without AA. We'll see.

but if he gets it for the PS4 he'd play on higher rez on larger screen, i assume....
however the selling point for the PC version shouldnt be the visuals but the mods, and i would go with the PC version for the mods and consider hooking up the laptop to the TV and find suitable settings to play on slightly higher res (1860X1050 maybe?).

but if he gets it for the PS4 he'd play on higher rez on larger screen, i assume....
however the selling point for the PC version shouldnt be the visuals but the mods, and i would go with the PC version for the mods and consider hooking up the laptop to the TV and find suitable settings to play on slightly higher res (1860X1050 maybe?).
Yeah, I wasn't sure what other displays he/she had. PC has advantage of mods, adjustable graphical fidelity/performance ratio and multiple input options.

Honestly ... if u cant upgrade ur video card for a better one id recommend just getting it on your PS4.

The game made for ps4 is perfectly made and built for the system and makes the most of it. U will have 1080p with 30fps and the best optimization possible (especially with later patches) pc optimization is more flexible with games, meaning they arent as efficient since they have to accommodate different set ups for systems. If your laptop's gpu isnt upgradable ... id go with PS4 version (since that slightly better gpu on PS4 will make a huge difference with optimization) Game will b perfectly optimized for it and it will b better graphics than your current notebook.

Honestly ... if u cant upgrade ur video card for a better one id recommend just getting it on your PS4.

The game made for ps4 is perfectly made and built for the system and makes the most of it. U will have 1080p with 30fps and the best optimization possible (especially with later patches) pc optimization is more flexible with games, meaning they arent as efficient since they have to accommodate different set ups for systems. If your laptop's gpu isnt upgradable ... id go with PS4 version (since that slightly better gpu on PS4 will make a huge difference with optimization) Game will b perfectly optimized for it and it will b better graphics than your current notebook.

I'm gonna try it out on notebook and if it's not running with 30 FPS + medium/high mix then I get the PS4 version. Don't think that the PS4 will look as good as high settings on PC actually ...
Thx for the help anyway ;)

I'm gonna try it out on notebook and if it's not running with 30 FPS + medium/high mix then I get the PS4 version. Don't think that the PS4 will look as good as high settings on PC actually ...
Thx for the help anyway ;)

1080P vs 900P is a pretty huge difference ... but to each their own (ps4 is running on 1080p @ constant 30fps) having 60fps on 900 is overrated, you are given more of a cinematic feel with 30fps while 60fps can be disengaging with showing more of its cgi aspect instead of immersion to the art of flow and to me can b too realistic. I like the cinematic feel to games, if u ever watch a movie in HDMI project at a movie theatre vs a regular projector, the HDMI looks like watching a play in a theatre while the projector will look more like the fantasy or the dream. I even remember in a video done with a developer that he was definitely going to be playing the game on the PS4 instead of the other versions. But that could just be the feel of the control with the system. Optimization to work on a specific platform with a certain set of hardware is a HUGE thing.

And then u have the 900p vs 1080p difference ... thats a huge difference. the 30fps vs 60fps debate is secondary compare to that.

But keep in mind, for me im playing on a huge HDTV so resolution matters to me more than FPS. 900p 60fps on a laptop screen is good. but if u hook up that laptop to a big HDTV then ur better off with the 1080P PS4. but above all if u could upgrdae ur laptop, having 1080P @ 60fps would b the best.

PS4 in-engine gampeplay footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNqmGT9mkOg

optimization makes up for a lot.

Last edited:
This is my set up for pc will this run the game or I'm I better of getting for my ps4

it's an i5 2.7ghz cpu.
Intel dp55kg mobo.
1tb hdd.
8gb ram.
Sapphire Dual-X 100365BF4L Radeon R9 270

Last edited:
And, having just deleted a post, a quick reminder that this thread is meant for saying what you're using, not for fighting with those who are using something else.

Already bought/ preorder for PC, I bet it will be much better for PC what with the specs up to 5 times or more better than even PS4.
And you know... Mods.

I have a PS4 and a PC Gaming Rig, I think I'm one of those not biased,
I played DA Inquisition on PS4 because it not released on Steam, and in my country it is really hard to get physical copy of PC game. Kinda regret it but what can I do, although the control for PS4 is maybe better.

Last edited:
PS4 first and most likely PC eventually :)

I have an i7 (4th gen) and a GTX970.. however i for some reason prefer RPGs sitting on my couch not having to worry about the grapical settings, performance etc.

just pure and simple plug and play and enjoy the gameplay (lets face it the current gen consoles actually can display some decent graphics compare GTA V PC to PS4)

PS4

should I get it on PC or PS4?

I'm very torn. I don't have a gaming PC yet but I'm planning on buying a beefy one (specifically for this game) since my old computer needs to be changed anyway, and I might as well as buy a high-end gaming PC. However I also have a PS4. And it would save me a lot of money by getting it on PS4 and just buy a regular PC.
My main concerns with the PS4 version are performance and graphics. I've seen all the game play videos but I think they are all on PC (please let me know if I'm wrong and tell me which one is 100% from consoles), the only affirmative PS4 screenshot I saw is the one on the monitor in CDPR office.
While I can afford a good PC, I don't know if this game is worth it (wouldn't use it to play too many other games). I really hope there will be good mods like for Skyrim. One thing that's a shame for the PC version is that there will be no trophies support.
So having laid out the pros and cons of both platforms for me, do you think it's better for me to get it for PC or PS4?
Really appreciate your input.

Sken

Forum veteran
PC easily, aside from the obvious differences, you will have access to Redkit mods.

PS4 will still be very nice.

Oh, I should mention that you will see the benefit not just for Witcher 3 and its expansions, but all the other open world games to follow, Batman, Metal Gear etc, plus you will have access to PC exclusive quality RPG's like Pillars of Eternity and so on. Once again, PC easy decision.

Last edited:
Here are the benefits to the PC version:

1) Potentially much better performance
2) Potentially much better IQ
3) Mods
4) If you buy from GoG CDPR will get all of the money instead of sharing it with Sony.

Now for the cons:

1) Potential for more bugs and software conflicts due to being an open platform.
2) Less convenience due to having to mess with drivers, settings etcetera
3) Greater initial investment cost

Pros for the PS4:

1) Convenience
2) Guaranteed to work right out of the box
3) Low initial investment cost.

Cons for the PS4:

1) No mod support
2) Lower performance
3) Lower IQ
4) About 30% of the cost of the game goes to Sony I believe.

I just bought a PS4 controller to use it on my PC now is the DS4 better than the DS3 if it is how much better?

Also which version of DS4 Tool should i download?

Last edited:
Can't help with last question, I may play TW3 on 360 gamepad, or just do what I went through in Dark and use WASD.

The main reason I picked PC over PS4 is due to me wanting to import saves (also I saved 15% for owning the last two games). I've got saves going back to TW1. But I'm not sure my system can handle it (if it takes more resources than DA: Inq I will be screwed).. Now though, since it's clear that the only 'checks' for TW3 by playing previous versions might be covered by a conversation, feels dumb preordering. I love PC gaming, but my rig is getting old.

SO in the end, I've preordered PC, PS4 I may pick up just so the game doesn't run horribly. But until I download it, I won't be sure how well it will play on the PC.

As for different fans, I just think PC is higher because the original and sequel sold better on PC. Not sure about the Witcher 2, but pretty sure it came first on the PC for the original game.

Xbox One isn't mentioned because I haven't bought one. Love the controller, but I (believed) the exclusives for PS4 would be better.

PS4 first and most likely PC eventually :)

I have an i7 (4th gen) and a GTX970.. however i for some reason prefer RPGs sitting on my couch not having to worry about the grapical settings, performance etc.

just pure and simple plug and play and enjoy the gameplay (lets face it the current gen consoles actually can display some decent graphics compare GTA V PC to PS4)

Plug your PC into your TV and your controller into your PC. Done. Not sure why people don't understand this is possible.

Top Bottom