A question about stamina (vigor?) and increasing health

+
I was thinking about that skill, too.

And I think it says it increases the regeneration. This made me think there is probably a standard regeneration.

Going to a city in order to heal wouldn't be everytime you need healing. The idea is that you can carry a limited amount of healing items and use them accross a bunch of fights. You'd only go back to a city when the healing items are almost up. And frequently you'd also go back to a city for different reasons and you'd end up using the opportunity to re-stock the healing items.

Even if he doesn't regen for free on harder difficulties, it will be quite pointless if he can heal himself with just alcohol or if that darn skill allows free regen anyways.

The practical result is that multiple small fights would be no threat to you. Only fights that can deplete your whole health, along with your healing potential, would be a threat. This is bad, m'kay?

I have not noticed any natural regen in the videos I'm seen. That skill is probably just worded weirdly or its due to the translation. I also dont think that that skill makes anything "pointless", its has an opportunity cost since you are losing out on some other skill by taking that one.

If it really is the only crack in a water tight system against free healing between combats, then I might refrain to take it. In this case the skill would be very boring and prevent me from getting another skill. So... I suppose I really wouldn't take it.

However, I do suspect it would be OP. Just imagine such a skill in Inquisition. The horror.... the horror...

From what I have seen health is not regenerating at all unless you take food or potion. There is a skill giving you slow health regen during the day. Note that it may depend on difficulty level...

It increases your health regen OUT OF COMBAT. The skill description is quite clear on that. I'm pretty sure that healing in combat is going to be a big deal, just like in W2.

Out of combat is worries me just the same, bruh.

Free healing out of combat makes small fights rather pointless.

i concur.

Maybe Klavi didnt get our point:
If slouching and fighting poorly during an easy fight against low level enemies gets you slightly injured, but just slightly, than if you heal between combats than that scratch didnt matter. fighting poorly didnt matter. than not paying attention in easy fights has no consequences.

but if you only heal by using consumable elixir than two or three easy fights where you got some scratches will mean that you HAVE to use an elixir. you have to use something you cant take back unless you spend resources on. This means that even easy fights are worth fighting well in and paying attention.

I'd rather have heal out of combat than what not having it entails (constant trips back to town to buy potion ingrediants/food or stocking up on them so much/etc)
A. You dont heal: you just use food to heal that tiny scratch = battle meaningless
B. you heal outside of combat = battle meaningless
They both accomplish the same thing in the grand scheme to me. One way forces you to micro manage resources the other those resources are more important for tough battles. IMO
Either is better than
C: Heal in and out of combat...

If slouching and fighting poorly during an easy fight against low level enemies gets you slightly injured, but just slightly, than if you heal between combats than that scratch didnt matter. fighting poorly didnt matter. than not paying attention in easy fights has no consequences.

Of course I understand that. However, maybe my priorities are a little shifted here, but it's FAR more important to me that you don't get "free" health regen in combat. That's what I meant to point out with my previous post.
Either way, @Dragonbird already said that health automatically regenerates only on easier difficulties, so this is kinda irrelevant at this point. If you don't want some slow, passive health regen from that skill - just don't get it.

I'd rather have heal out of combat than what not having it entails (constant trips back to town to buy potion ingrediants/food or stocking up on them so much/etc)
A. You dont heal: you just use food to heal that tiny scratch = battle meaningless
B. you heal outside of combat = battle meaningless
They both accomplish the same thing in the grand scheme to me. One way forces you to micro manage resources the other those resources are more important for tough battles. IMO
Either is better than
C: Heal in and out of combat...
It is mostly a matter of pace, yes.

However, in some situations it's not just about pace. Say you need to go through a bunch of fights to reach some place (kind alike a dungeon). If you run out of healing across a bunch of mid-level fights and need to go back to a checkpoint, you may still be in danger of getting into another fight before you can get to a teleport. And besides this danger (which is rare)... if you do manage to get to the checkpoint, by the time you return to the dungeon, some of the enemies might already have respawned. So it is not just a matter of pace. They can force you to actually go through a sequence of fights, without returning to a checkpoint. In this case, the trully limited healing matters a lot, beyond the pace.

EDIT: all this stuff has happened to me in other games with the "new rules".

In most cases it is a matter of pace, though. But since you gotta go back to cities, when your inventory gets full, when you need to repair (and run out of repair kit) or are just pasisng by a city... limitting the healing (re-supply) to the cities works very well.

Anyways... if the healing potions can be refilled easily, the lack of auto-healing won't matter much, either. Ideally, healing potions should be treated differently from the others, but I don't think we're gonna get that.

However, in some situations it's not just about pace.
I see your point and why you prefer my example A but I prefer B and always will.

But since you gotta go back to cities, when your inventory gets full
Another reason why I prefer B... If you're going back to city often enough that supply of food doesn't matter much as you'll always have a surplus... All that does is make you click eat food button often rather than just heal... With B Food then becomes "I want to heal faster click" or "Save food for when it is more important.

Of course that relies on how balanced the food/potions system is. For B there needs to be less availability. For A more...

If you run out of healing across a bunch of mid-level fights and need to go back to a checkpoint, you may still be in danger
IF the balance of healing items is adequate that shouldn't happen, unless I play really badly... (and in that case neither option will keep me from dying) I just prefer not to worry about need extra food because no other healing option is present.

Not saying B is better than A just what I personally prefer ;)

i concur.

but if you only heal by using consumable elixir than two or three easy fights where you got some scratches will mean that you HAVE to use an elixir. you have to use something you cant take back unless you spend resources on. This means that even easy fights are worth fighting well in and paying attention.

It is mostly a matter of pace, yes.

However, in some situations it's not just about pace. Say you need to go through a bunch of fights to reach some place (kind alike a dungeon). If you run out of healing across a bunch of mid-level fights and need to go back to a checkpoint, you may still be in danger of getting into another fight before you can get to a teleport. And besides this danger (which is rare)... if you do manage to get to the checkpoint, by the time you return to the dungeon, some of the enemies might already have respawned. So it is not just a matter of pace. They can force you to actually go through a sequence of fights, without returning to a checkpoint. In this case, the trully limited healing matters a lot, beyond the pace.

EDIT: all this stuff has happened to me in other games with the "new rules".

In most cases it is a matter of pace, though. But since you gotta go back to cities, when your inventory gets full, when you need to repair (and run out of repair kit) or are just pasisng by a city... limitting the healing (re-supply) to the cities works very well.

Anyways... if the healing potions can be refilled easily, the lack of auto-healing won't matter much, either. Ideally, healing potions should be treated differently from the others, but I don't think we're gonna get that.

It just sounds like you both should play the game on Hard or Dark where the only standard way to regenerate health is via consumables; you can get the skill that has been mentioned here but that means you have to sacrifice getting something else. Easy/normal are intended to be low on consequences, which is why they allow you to regain full health just from meditating. In fact, I feel like that makes that skill a waste of precious skill points/slots on easy/normal.

Guess I won't be playing on hard/dark, well at least not until I get better at the combat :D

Practice Practice Practice (is it may 19th yet?)

Another reason why I prefer B... If you're going back to city often enough that supply of food doesn't matter much as you'll always have a surplus... All that does is make you click eat food button often rather than just heal... With B Food then becomes "I want to heal faster click" or "Save food for when it is more important.
It matters depending on how much heat you try to take at once. You may spend a lot of time barely doing any combat, or you may try to take on some serious fights next to eachother. Sometimes your visit to a city will be motivated by inventory - sometimes it will be due to lack of healing items. It's a brake in the pace that I find to be OK.

Of course that relies on how balanced the food/potions system is. For B there needs to be less availability. For A more...
Agreed.

IF the balance of healing items is adequate that shouldn't happen, unless I play really badly...
Or you're underleveled. Or if you make only one specific mistake that costs you a lot. Who never...

Sometimes I am lured into being underleved, because fights tend to be more fun. But then I end up finding myself needing to re-supply mid-dungeon and see that the pace is actually getting bad. So I usually avoid doing this... but sometimes still do. In some cases you might wanna rush a harder area because you want some specific reward it bight give, that is very important to your build.

And the one tiny huge mistake thing happened to me recently, in DA: I. I missused a special move and ended up lacking the DPS to finish a Dragon. It wiped me except for my tank and prevented revives with some powers. I had to finish it off just with the tank, which took forever and wasnt elegant at all. It felt like I lost the fight.

Not saying B is better than A just what I personally prefer ;)
Not trying to use it for the sake of argument or anything... but have you tried Lightning Returns or DA: I?

I actually think our view are very similar, even if we end up on different sides of the fence on this one. It seems we both care a lot about pace.

It just sounds like you both should play the game on Hard or Dark where the only standard way to regenerate health is via consumables; you can get the skill that has been mentioned here but that means you have to sacrifice getting something else. Easy/normal are intended to be low on consequences, which is why they allow you to regain full health just from meditating. In fact, I feel like that makes that skill a waste of precious skill points/slots on easy/normal.
Tots.

This isn't what the thread title actually meant by "increasing health", but... do you guys like that Geralt recovers health automatcally from one battle to another? It makes it so a fight isn't dangerous unless it can kill you. There is no such thing as challenge in multiple small fights.

I'd prefer a system like in DA: I, Lightning Returns or Dark Souls, where the healing is based on/limited by checkpoints.

Initially I thought they were going with "fight by fight challenge", because they didn't want you to get back to checkpoints, so your roaming and adventures could last very long, uninterrupted. I suppose I'd be OK with that. However, I saw that your equipment needs repair. So, if we're gonna need to go to checkpoints anyways, I really think the healing should be based on it :/

Well, Geralt is a witcher (mutant), so it wouldn't be a far off assumption that he can regenerate his body. That being said, I've never read the books, despite finishing both W1 and W2, so someone correct me if the original books say otherwise.

My concern and preference wouldn't be a matter of lore.

In fact, if healing times are very easy to refill, I think it would be better for him to recover health automatically between fights, FFXIII and XIV style.

Top Bottom