Are AMD users left high and dry?

+
IMO that's the only reason you need to NOT support Nvidia.

I respect your opinion, but we will have to agree to disagree. I support those that support me, or offer products for a fair price that are useful to me. I honestly could care less what name is on the box. However, once I settle on a product and it works as advertised, or they have great support, or what have you, I continue to use that brand until they lose my trust or I no longer have a need for their product or service. I am a consumer first, then an advocate if warranted. Nvidia has earned my trust. They have also let me down with the whole 970 fiasco( I own 2) but they work fine otherwise at 2k for me.

I used to be a nvidia fanboy.. Then about 3 years ago nvidia released a drivers that fried alot of peoples GPUs.. fortunately and giving credit to nvidia they replaced it but took months.. I chose for the first time to use ati card. Ran that card for 5 years with no issues. I even found some mods to run primary ati card and use the physx engine from the nvidia card as secondary.. getting best from both worlds. But in the end I like ati.. something about the graphics it just feels and looks better plus the prices is nicer :). sadly ati isn't going to get the best from witcher 3. Its an nvidia game. But I'll try the make the best of it. Anyhoo graphics are downgraded so going to look like a console anyways :p

there is a in depth preview on a german tech site.. the game ran firne on a 770 and 280x

Last edited:
Or the blurry pixelated junk in FC4, some of the animals this Hairworks junk is pasted on can do better in Blender or Maya.

Why are developers so dependant on these Vendor developed plug-in and play API's anyway?
what happened to the imagination and inventiveness of putting their own idea's into reality?

The apparent reliance of hardware vendors to do their job for them no mater how bad the result is; is disturbing.

And how can it be that AMD users pay the same for the product but get less?

Nvidia subsidizes the additional cost to implement those features, you aren't paying for anything. They aren't reliant on the API anyway, CDPR built their own system for hair as well.

well its been a long time since last i have had an amd card and its been halv year ago i have seen somebody use amd .. but from my experience is that amd has big issues with there driver. this is the main reason why i chose nvidia .. nvida gpu cost more than amd cost from performance vs price . but graphics quality and stable fps matter very much. from my experience there is a bigger chance of graphical glitches and unstable fps with amd cards and drivers then there is with amd .. and last i have seen a amd card it has not improved. that said . Amd users can still use hairworks but at a cost of lower fps, even more lower than with an nvidia card since hairworks is optimized with nvidia card. And i am shure nvida has helped allot in making this game with technical expert help .. and if amd also would have tried to build there tech into the game then i am sure we still would not have a pc version in 2 days ready . because it takes time and creates new issues implementing several techs for the same thing

if its true devs said amd didn't care about them, they invited amd several times, but they didn't come. in an interview Balazs Torok said performance will be fine on amd gpus. the r9 290x is similar to a 970 in horsepower, i'm 95% sure it will handle the game just as well as the gtx 970 so on ultra without gameworks effects. don't worry.

Also i think noone should blame nvidia/nvidia users/cdpr for this, if you want to blame someone blame amd for not supporting the release.

Uh - I didn't even read most of this thread - However, AMD isn't left high and dry. The only thing you are really missing out on is Hairworks - and even that will be tough to run by MOST PC gamers. AMD can still run it. It's just tougher on your system. I don't think Hair Works justifies the thought of AMD left high and dry tbh.

I believe, and please correct me if I'm wrong, Nvidia was just the chosen GPU company to work with CDPR. I dont think it takes anything away from AMD

In any trade, you work with the partner who will work with you. We don't know how the relationship between CDPR and AMD went down, but we do know they got a lot of assistance (which they needed, considering they are developing this game for next to nothing) from nVidia.

Business has jack shit to do with fairness to competitors and everything to do with building relationships with partners who improve your product. AMD would do well to remember this before spreading FUD about being shut out of game development.

And performance of the game on AMD hardware is still nothing like handicapped.

Did they? so why don't they use that instead of Nvidia's API?

If pay full price for a game that is gimped for one half or users but not the other then IMO i have been ripped off.
They have used those as well. Both are in game.
Nvidia helped them implement optional Nvidia optimized technology using Nvidia API without much in terms of cost for CDPR. There is alternative for each of those that CDPR developed themselves that everyone gets. I don't see how it's gimped for half the users.

As an AMD user myself, I'd like to know the answer to this question too.
I'm not partial to a vendor (I simply buy whatever I find has the best price / perf ratio at one time) and because of that, don't really care for exclusive crap like Gameworks or Physx.

I'm still in the process of upgrading my PC (waiting for Skylake) so I haven't purchased the game yet, but I'd be severely disappointed if there were even moderate performance issues for either AMD or Nvidia due to proprietary techs.

I'm not partial to a vendor (I simply buy whatever I find has the best price / perf ratio at one time) and because of that, don't really care for exclusive crap like Gameworks or Physx.

I'm still in the process of upgrading my PC (waiting for Skylake) so I haven't purchased the game yet, but I'd be severely disappointed if there were even moderate performance issues for either AMD or Nvidia due to proprietary techs.

There's no GPU Physx for the game, it's CPU Physx, for Nvidia, and for AMD, both can use it, same for Hairworks, it uses DirectCompute API, both can use it. What the performance impact will be for AMD vs Nvidia, no one knows yet. But you can expect it NOT to be optimized for AMD at least not right out the gate.

I don't think nvidia physx would be " crap ". At least according to Tim sweeney Ceo of epic and creator of unreal engine it's " the worlds most advanced physx engine , what we consider the best physx engine available" and thats why they use it in UE4.

Yawn DA:I is optimised for AMD cards Witcher 3 in optimised for Nvidia cards. You people know that this isn't the first or last time this kind of thing has/will happen right?

Its not like Nvidia card users can't play DA:I and get great graphics. Its not like my R9 290 is suddenly incapable of rendering witcher 3 in anything but low textures in 800x600 resolution.

This is an adult game how are people not aware that this type of GPU manufacture endorsement exists?

In any trade, you work with the partner who will work with you. We don't know how the relationship between CDPR and AMD went down, but we do know they got a lot of assistance (which they needed, considering they are developing this game for next to nothing) from nVidia.

Business has jack shit to do with fairness to competitors and everything to do with building relationships with partners who improve your product. AMD would do well to remember this before spreading FUD about being shut out of game development.

And performance of the game on AMD hardware is still nothing like handicapped.

I don't disagree with you that this is why CDPR and NVidia are working together, however I prefer AMD as they pull less closed off proprietary bs with their products.

TressFX source is available Hairworx is not
FreeSync is open for any hardware to use GSync is not (not all features)

Even Mantle got donated to OpenGL - which I wish all the Devs would move to and support. Microsoft likes to stranglehold their products just like NVidia, even when those products are just re-hashes of existing open technology (C# programming language and Silverlight come to mind). If we could all move to Linux / OpenGL and not have to kowtow to proprietary technology, we'd all wind up better off. It's not about not paying people for their work, it's about the attitude that "all boats rise with the tide" vs "I'd rather shoot holes in your boat so it sinks".

Nvidia’s GameWorks library, places in the hands of developers a collection of graphical tools, that can simplify game development. Although the fact that these libraries are closed to most users makes it difficult to optimize for if you’re not using and Nvidia GPU.
^This does not make feel any better about CDPR as a developer. Sorry but when you "assume" your entire user base use the brand of the company you are in bed with you can expect your reputation to take a hit.

http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-dev-nvidia-hairworks-unoptimizable-amd-gpus/

Charges of who has been sleeping with whom should be reserved for when Geralt and Yennefer are reunited. Constrain speculation to facts that are or could be public knowledge, not confidential business arrangements of which you cannot possibly have any knowledge.

Here is some anecdotal evidence. I have been an ati card buyer since it was a Canadian company and I have NEVER had a problem playing any game that was optimized for the Nvidia cards. Why do people think that suddenly this one game will render AMD cards useless? I don't get how this manufactured problem even started? If you have a crap video card you wont get a great visual experience regardless of the company, if you have a high end video card be it Nvidia or AMD you will have a great visual experience. Isn't that all that really matters? Or must your experience have the best frame rate period?

Top Bottom