game ambience

+
Atmosphere

i have pre ordered this game and i am very very excited, from what i have seen the game seems to have quite a bit of creepy or scary content in the game, be it scary or creepy area's, enemies or characters, without spoiling any of the game does anyone know how much of that kind of content there will be? quite frankly that is the main thing i am excited for when it comes to this game, while its not a horror game or anything i never expected that it does look a lot darker than the 2nd, has there been a conscious decision to make this game more creepy?

either way i cant wait for the game to creep me out

Slavic and related mythologies are much creepier than the Disneyfied versions we are used to...

There are versions of Cinderella where the sisters use axes to try to fit their feet to the slippers, and many other some of which are far, far grimmer. (I know a few are used in WH, so I won't describe them... but yes, much should be unpleasant/creepy/sick... and the monsters are probably not the worst of it).

I can't answer that really.

However, whilst it's impossible to know exactly how it'll pan out over such a big adventure, the devs did mention trying to be a bit more like TW1 in terms of atmosphere, at least in some places.

This would fit with your impression of TW3 since I found the first to be darker and more, how shall I put it, pagan-like? You know druids, mysterious forests, rituals, old folklore.

I'm like you and hope they'll be plenty of this sort of atmosphere and I don't think CDPR will disappoint.

Last edited:
thank you for the replies, i never played the first because i never had a PC good enough but i loved the 2nd, and honestly i hate when a game is too dark and you cant see anything so i am glad there is a light that follows you around, as long as its not too strong then i am happy, i am from Australia so pretty far removed from the area where the game is getting its mythology from, thank you very much for the offer of the footage but i am trying to go into this as blind as possible, thank you very much though as long as the light is not too strong i am happy and the story with the axes and the feet is somewhat disturbing :p i like that makes me excited for what i have in store for me with this game

thank you for the link and the merge, i apologise i searched a few different terms without any luck before creating my thread

In regards to Ambience there's a great example in one of the offical gameplay clips where Geralt goes into a forest, the transition between crossing the river you see the creepiness of the dim light & as you go in the lighting is over shadowed by the tree canopy.

Very ambient.

Adding: Here found it, it's from the recent PS4 short footage.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k_dvkGwwny0

Skip to 1:11 This is what I'm talking about transition ambience & eerieness.

Last edited:
All in all, W3 isn't a "horror" game. Night isn't truly dark (of come caves seem to be quite dark), but it has - from what ive seen in the videos so far - this somewhat creepy feeling when you walk trough the woods and you hear monsters screaming/howling/gnarling nearby without actually seeing them on the minimap yet. Witcher ambience is quite "mature", as you would expect it to be in a world at war that is full of monsters.

Top Bottom