Make snow more real

+
I know that there are snowy areas in Skellige, but they are not deep, thick winter snows. As for the rest, I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Making knee deep snow which reacts to your movements realistically would be a major technical undertaking and would take a lot of time to program to look good, as well as a lot of processing power to work well. The devs have a balance out what more is important to the game at some point, extra physics effects or more actual content.

It is done in AC 3, Batman Arkham origins, and it is done by Nvidia physx it does not need much work, it is not major technical undertaking and it is performance friendly.

I expected to see something on the level of Assassins creed 3, snow in that game looks beautiful, and not just that it have realistic impact on npc movement (speed and animation).AC 3 was released in 2012.

No offense but can we please stop comparing it with other games ? The Witcher 2 was released in 2011 and had Ubersampling (Supersampling) which is still rare to see in games, I have yet to see super sampling in any of the AC games.

It's not that if a game is not using some thing it means it lacks in technology or something, it's not there because it's not required or important. A single game cannot show every piece of tech to you, that's the job of tech demos.

No offense but can we please stop comparing it with other games ? The Witcher 2 was released in 2011 and had Ubersampling (Supersampling) which is still rare to see in games, I have yet to see super sampling in any of the AC games.

It's not that if a game is not using some thing it means it lacks in technology or something, it's not there because it's not required or important. A single game cannot show every piece of tech to you, that's the job of tech demos.

I think Witcher is by far the most beautiful game, i just want them to nailed it so hard :D Supersampling to me is why of antialiasing technique that is not very efective. I tried to dsr witcher 2 on 2k resolution and it looked about same as with supersampling but with about + 13-15 fps.

it does not need much work
Bold claim for someone who doesn't make games :p

Batman had some nice snow Tessellation effects yes but the entire game was set on Christmas Eve, the entire city was snow covered this was a long time design decision, not something you do on a whim. PhysX was used to enhance it, it worked WITH what they already had, not create everything by itself it's just a GPGPU API.

I think Witcher is by far the most beautiful game, i just want them to nailed it so hard :D Supersampling to me is why of antialiasing technique that is not very efective. I tried to dsr witcher 2 on 2k resolution and it looked about same as with supersampling but with about + 13-15 fps.

Well they nailed it quite hard already with stuff like a huge world, dynamic day and night cycle, dynamic weather and foliage system, PhysX, APEX Clothing/Destruction, HairWorks and no loading screens.

To answer your question more precisely, I think since Witcher 3 has fast paced combat and a lot of roaming monsters it will be quite difficult to make a terrain that hinders player movement and thus combat efficiency, I cannot think how Geralt will perform all the dodges/sidesteps and other fast movements with deep snow hindering him.

Bold claim for someone who doesn't make games :p

Batman had some nice snow Tessellation effects yes but the entire game was set on Christmas Eve, the entire city was snow covered this was a long time design decision, not something you do on a whim. PhysX was used to enhance it, it worked WITH what they already had, not create everything by itself it's just a GPGPU API.

I know about Nvidia enhanced directX 11 tessellation but have you saw the difrence with physx on and off ?

---------- Updated at 10:31 AM ----------

I am rather glad deep snow is not in.
Yeah it seemed cool at first in AC3, for like 15 min, then it became simply annoying.

In game like witcher it will not be only cool but you will be forced to be tactical in some cases, think about possibilities ;)

Well they nailed it quite hard already with stuff like a huge world, dynamic day and night cycle, dynamic weather and foliage system, PhysX, APEX Clothing/Destruction, HairWorks and no loading screens.

To answer your question more precisely, I think since Witcher 3 has fast paced combat and a lot of roaming monsters it will be quite difficult to make a terrain that hinders player movement and thus combat efficiency, I cannot think how Geralt will perform all the dodges/sidesteps and other fast movements with deep snow hindering him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVTDMA8w2m0 ( it aply even on Geralt)

---------- Updated at 10:41 AM ----------

Yes. That's the game I used to test my dedicated PhysX GPU >_>

Can you tell me the difference and impact it made on snow ?

---------- Updated at 10:42 AM ----------

Maybe add it to the modding suggestions. There's a thread on it here.
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30086-The-Witcher-3-Modding

Ok i will suggest it ;)

---------- Updated at 10:43 AM ----------

What you want us to stealth assassinate wolves ? :D

hahaha nice one :D

Snow effects

How are the snow effects handled in the game? Does it fall or when you get to a particular area there are already snow. If snow falls does landscape get thicker with snow? I'm just wondering never saw a footage with snow or snow falling

How are the snow effects handled in the game? Does it fall or when you get to a particular area there are already snow. If snow falls does landscape get thicker with snow? I'm just wondering never saw a footage with snow or snow falling

Snow doesn't accumulate on the ground/ trees/foliage, characters, models, anything, just as rain doesn't make puddles, streams running down the hills or raindrops dripping from roofs, branches and so on. Maybe next game in the series will be the first to not only have day/night cycle, but a true year cycle. :) Maybe technology in 5-6 years will be enough to handle game as big, that with current 1:4 timescale we would actually go through all the seasons in game and have not only dynamic weather, but dynamic landscape changing accordingly to weather conditions, tied to effects of rain, snow, heat, displaying dying grass and fallen leaves gathering on the ground at autumn...

hmm.... on second thought - maybe in 10-15 years . :D

rain doesn't make puddles, streams running down the hills or raindrops dripping from roof

actually Rain does make puddle in GTV V its pretty amazing how the rain is handled there, but i Guess the witcher 3 is much harder game to make since the game is MUCH more dense and map is bigger.

ANYWAY wanted to ask if there is Foot prints on the Snow if garelt walk over it?

Top Bottom