Has the trial of grasses formula been lost?

+
Has the trial of grasses formula been lost?

I was just wondering because multiple times I've heard characters say something about performing the trial of grasses on others or referring to it like they had the ability to do it. So i just wanna know if the formula really has been lost.

maybe, it was usually done by druids/mages who were probably killed or who knows. the other option is that they dont do it any more couse it is considered worse than torture considering it was used on children.

The formula is there, but a mage is necessary. Also someone with knowledge (Vesemir I believe is capable).

I think for Geralt's school it might be lost but I figure other schools of witchers still have the means to conduct it.

Well in Witcher 1, didn't the Salamander guys steal the secrets behind their witcher mutations and Geralt embarked to get them back? Not sure if those secrets contained the mutagens behind the trial though.

no. in witcher3
yennefer vesemir and geralt perform the trial of grasses. at least the half of it, and they use it to lift a curse. it's generally Yens idea, so based on this at least yennefer knows how to perform it.

can no one improve on it? I mean the world needs witchers

They need them, but they don't need many of them anymore as hundreds of years ago, when witchers were made.

As far as i understood it the formula isn't lost, but the people doing the ritual are either missing (e.g. killed) or don't want to do it anymore, e.g. Vesemir could probably do it, but he doesn't want to do it ever again as it is torture and kills more than half of the boys every time.

As a general remark, the mutagens have not been lost (as they were stolen and recovered in the first game) however, a sorcerer or sorceress is required to help guide the mutations. Without this guidance from an experienced magic-user, the resulting transformations can be even more unpleasant than they already are. The unstable mutants in the first Witcher are a sample of the results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom