Suggestd Level.....WTF?

+
Suggestd Level.....WTF?

I am still in White Orchid, so I haven't really need my quest log. Today I did check it and noticed that the game was telling me what level was "suggested" for a particular quest. Seriously? How dumb does CDPR think we are? Is the whole game so dumbed down? WTF?

:facepalm:

Sure, this is a little bit too much hand holding for my tastes as well but, as mentioned in the other thread this is also something that could be easily rectified by adding a gameplay option like "show suggested levels" or something along those lines.

Personally I never really pay attention to those anyway and prefer to see for myself if I'm able to succeed or not.

And if CDPR does not then I'm sure someone else will come up with a mod to disable those hints.

Last edited:
Actually is not hand holding. The suggested level is absolutely necessary because without it you can pick up quests in the first areas of the game where you find enemies with level 20 or 33, while you are level 4 or 5, and you can't escape.

this is way better than just plain "everything is your level, all the time" shit, which basically kills any form of power-gain

With lvl 7 you can get quest for lvl 33... So its not hand holding!
I am now lvl 14 and all my sidequest/contracts are for lvl 25+..
So imagine how much "you can always reload" actions would occur....

this is way better than just plain "everything is your level, all the time" shit, which basically kills any form of power-gain

This!

Actually is not hand holding. The suggested level is absolutely necessary because without it you can pick up quests in the first areas of the game where you find enemies with level 20 or 33, while you are level 4 or 5, and you can't escape.
It is absolutely hand holding. The whole point is exploring. If you wander into an overly tough fight, oh well. Maybe you should be more cautious. This game has little to no level scaling that I can see. Apparently the current generation of gamers need to have their hands held.....

And what if you have forgotten to save? Or you don't have saves anymore? It could happen.

Or if you just don't want or don't have time to replay part of the story, and just want to know what missions your character can't do (which would then be a waste of our valuable time)?

As with all simple things like this, an option in the menu is the best option.

I am still in White Orchid, so I haven't really need my quest log. Today I did check it and noticed that the game was telling me what level was "suggested" for a particular quest. Seriously? How dumb does CDPR think we are? Is the whole game so dumbed down? WTF?

:facepalm:

I understand you reaction, but I think you might be more accepting of this idea when you get out of White Orchard. The gap between a few levels is enormous in this game (not like Witcher 2). Enemies that are many levels above you might one shot you, while you do tiny scratches to their life bar.

Taking a quest of a much higher level is sometimes an exercise in futility. Imagine doing that back to back to back, and not being able to complete any quest, and not knowing if you even have a chance to complete your next quest. That would probably get very frustrating.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with the game being dumbed down. This is a feature that is really welcome in an open-world game WITHOUT level scaling content.
Very early in the game you can start quests requiring you to be around 30 level to even stand a chance. Imagine how fun would it be if you spend a lot of time on tracking down, investigating and finally preparing to hunt down a monster that is troubling local community, only to discover that monster is a beast that you possibly couldn't take down in any way at this point. So after 30 hours of gameplay you come back to slay the monster, but all the fun is already gone, because you probably forgot the whole story behind it. And this would happen often, believe me, as I am not in White Orchid anymore. So maybe instead of complaining about silly stuff at forum, play some more so you are able to understand why it is like this?

With lvl 7 you can get quest for lvl 33... So its not hand holding!
I am now lvl 14 and all my sidequest/contracts are for lvl 25+..
So imagine how much "you can always reload" actions would occur....

This!
You don't have to do any quests immediately. If you get pwned, then reload gain some levels and wait until you are an appropriate level.....

It's a highly subjective matter.

I don't mind reloading over and over again and I save fairly often. I don't mind running into a brickwall repeatedly to test out if I can beat some monster that's like a dozen levels above mine. Eventually I'll realize that I might be too underleveled, so I fall back to a save before I engaged the monster and do some side stuff before trying again.

So in my (and I guess the OP's) case an option to disable the suggested level hints would be a welcomed addition.

You don't have to do any quests immediately. If you get pwned, then reload gain some levels and wait until you are an appropriate level.....
You're forgetting that this is not an MMO. Some side quests are pretty long and heavily story-based. So running into a wall of monster 20 levels higher than you just before the end of the lengthy quest basically kicks you out of the story. That's notabout getting "pwned".

I don't really see why this is such a problem. If you don't care about the suggested level, or you're just up for a challenge, why can't you just ignore it? It's not like they're giving you a solution to the quest next to it's name...

Last edited:
On a similar topic, is it intended that doings missions 6 levels above Geralt's level bring substantially less experience? Because if it is intended it is horrible game design.

So when it comes to open world exploration I agree, we do not need to see a red skull above a enemie's head to tell us that we're about get our ass kicked, it will simply happen.
But for quests, showing recommended level is not hand holding, it's courtesy. Think about quest structure in game, some have no portions of non-combat sections and end with a difficult enemy. Many quest span multiple hours and have multi parts which are a mixture of non-combat and combat scenarios. The point is, realizing that you cannot progress due to extreme difficulty level breaks up immersion, and infuriates the player for losing hours of progression.

Simple. Rinse and repeat until you beat that monster. Then you know that you have the appropriate level.

Honestly, doing the main quest and returning to the starting point of the quest 20 times untile you reach the right level, is really annoying. There's really no point in doing the same thing 20 times, if that can be avoided with the suggested level.

Top Bottom