Combat Crashes with AMD R9 285

+
R9 285 + constant crashing while killing Hounds of the Wild Hunt during Wandering in the Dark boss fight brought me to this thread. I tried various combos of settings. Nothing worked until I turned off Action Messages in the HUD settings. After I turned those off I could complete the fight and haven't had the lockup/crash yet. Not saying it will work for you, but this is what worked for me. AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, 8GB RAM, r9 285, Win 7 SP1.

No setting solution. It only give us more gameplay time. To me motion blur off works in almost every fight. Only 1 crash in 4 hours. Until that ciri shit fight with a lot of mobs (by the way that scene is lame) underclock didnt work for me, pls can you upload an image with your graphics overdrive settings?

I am another one R9 285 owner that has the exact same problems,random crashes within a fight.A few points i would like to notice:
It's not only happening with swordfight,it has crashed for me with igni alternate form quite a few times.
It is in my experience completely random,you can play for hours and not notice it or it can happen in the first fight after you load.
I think the whole 'no blur,motion blur' etc is just a placebo,i usually save before a fight and if i crash i disable all post processing effects and reload,sometimes it works,sometimes it doesnt,it's just the randomness of the crash imo.
The same applies to underclocking,i thought i found the solution because i was stuck in a quite large fight at the end of chapter 1,over a dozen crashes,but again it was crashing,no matter what options i had off,or how much underclock i was doing.
So i tried something else and well it worked,of course i am not suggesting it as a solution,but for me it worked in that particular fight which was the only one i couldnt progress even after repeating tries.I overclocked!Not by much,just 50 Mhz,but in my surprise,i finished that lengthy fight and played a few hours afterwards with no problems.
Also temperature of the GPU was monitored,it was peak 61 degrees with underclock and 66 with overclock,both quite low imo, so i dont think it is a problem related with temps.
I dont want to change OS right now to win10 that some people say it's working with new drivers etc,so i will just do the same procedure,quicksave before every fight etc,and hope that AMD pushes some new drivers soon.
Out of topic but far more serious problem imo is the 'no xp from quests' bug that has happened to me too,hope for new patch soon.

Thx turbo but no luck for me with underclock. I tried 4% 6% and 10% with no luck.

worked for a solid 4 hours for me,
got to the ciri wild hunt quest
and it crashed again. I. GIVE. UP.
This is complete bullshit. Great game...but CDPR pushed it out too early, and AMD is too sluggish with their drivers.

Thanks a lot for that. Forgive my bad english, i'm belgian. This seems to resolve the problems for me ! I strongly recommend you to install this driver.

So... if this really works amd has the solution but they are too lazy to release it officialy. Amd owner for decades since an ati x1600 but this is an end to me. Nvidia card incoming for sure.

So... if this really works amd has the solution but they are too lazy to release it officialy. Amd owner for decades since an ati x1600 but this is an end to me. Nvidia card incoming for sure.

Same thing for me, it's the last time... Hope this solution will work for others people.

I HOPE THATS NOT THE CASE! I've been a fan of AMD since the HD 6870 which was years ago...great GPU for those days. Im gonna give it a little bit before I make the jump to the GreenTeam.

Hi,

Yeah I have tried at as well, but then the game last a little longer before the game crashes. I even tried installing Witcher 2 and the same thing happens there as well, the game crashes. And I reinstalled my computer last night before I tried again, and same thing happens with both games, but only these games. All the other games I have works flawlessly.

/Eagle

R9 390x is a new name for the r9 290x

lol no its not, that is some trash made up garbage you've looked up

Go ahead and do a google search for 390x

I'm not even considering spending any money for a hardware change with the buggy state the game is in. You can see other threads in this forum popping up about people with nvidia 7** and 9** cards still having constant crashes and waiting on drivers, also. I'm not gonna risk it, I just don't think the game it worth it right now.

Somebody modded the Windows 10 driver to work on other versions (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399306).
People are claiming these drivers lower DX11 performance so I don't know how much better they'll be. Going to test them soon.

Guys this is the way to go. Fix the problem for me, i manage to pass that ciri fight with lots of mobs 3 times in a row without a single crash. With the "official" omega drive i crashed every time a tried to play that fight (20 times i think) Settings high in graphics and postprosessing.
The bad news, amd sucks, they have the solution but dont release it. We need to get a modded driver.

Guys this is the way to go. Fix the problem for me, i manage to pass that ciri fight with lots of mobs 3 times in a row without a single crash. With the "official" omega drive i crashed every time a tried to play that fight (20 times i think) Settings high in graphics and postprosessing.
The bad news, amd sucks, they have the solution but dont release it. We need to get a modded driver.

Did you experience any drop in performance? I now have time to try these out.

Top Bottom