Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
@vesemas228 its not 100% unplayable, you can play, but the view distance is very short compared to normal settings, once you get past the first " wow effect " it get irritating, also the skybox is broken , the blue is washed out, and i have no idea what can happen in other zone/settings or quest or whatever, i only tested this in novigrad, the day/cycle even broke at some point

and yeah the taverne music from world of warcraft is amazing, i used too to go there and just stand there listening to the music :D ohh the good old days before they butchered the game to oblivion

there's something i'd like to add, is that the lightning showcased in the video reminds me strangely of the one used in TW2. anyone agrees ?
Doesn't look anything like TW2 to me. I don't see what that video is showcasing personally, without a comparison to the original it just seems that it's a bit foggier since the bitrate is really bad.

---------- Updated at 11:40 PM ----------

but the view distance is very short compared to normal settings
This could be one of those "looks and runs better!" mods :)

am not concealing anything, its crazy how peoples assume stuff as soon as something with modding is found, ive already explained what i was doing in previous page and talked about this file, but since you want to try it yourself :

locate the weather settings ( they are csv files in startup.bundle ), chose wich zone you want to modify, open your csv file then add this line in envPath section :

environment\definitions\cutscenes_definition\cutscen_definition_global.env

its empty for the clear weather setting, so you just fill it, reimport back your file and you're done

Well then, thank you for for sharing your findings. I'm also a modder, and it annoys me when I see people who have found something out, and release meaningless 'teaser' material. Such as screens / videos (imo). While keeping the relevant info on how to reproduce, to themselves.

I've seen this done quite a lot, and if that's not the case here, then you've got yourself an apology.;

I'm not trying to release something here, btw. I'm merely curious. I'm also not a sleazy asshole, who would claim somebody else's findings. I'm also not at my own machine at the moment. So I can't have a look, but I'll do when I'm home.

Good job, at any rate.

i agree. i remember seeing the codes that you shared of the ones for the weather pre-sets, and damn they looked complicated. it's like looking for a needle in a haystack !
and modding something this complicated is not easy and can be risky. better take this nice and slow.

No offense intended. But, unlike most people. I don't sit around waiting for other people to do things for me. I like to do them myself, when possible.

Last edited:
her's how it look, as you can the view distance is reduced by the blue fog, either its because it react to the overblown sunlight or the settings is made like that since you dont really see distant view in cutscene, also the sky is nearly broken and the blue become washed out, i think i can fix this using another skybox

also now that i have played around with it, its not used only cutscene, the blizzard weather use it too, and some other weather/lighting specific condition, i didnt notice any performance hit, but the day/cyble broke at some point, i was stuck in an infinite night time, no more daylight , as to when am publishing this, i dont know maybe tomorrow if i have enough time, i should be working instead of modding

..... Watch this video in fullscreen guys.. the lighting is PERFECT. This is the you don't need sweetfx version of the game.

I call console conspiracy. If this comes at no fps hit on pc, the only reason they wouldn't have enabled such a great thing is for console parity. We know how platform wars are squashed on every major game website like its protected from above.. i say microsoft money paid for a little too much. And i can understand now why in an interview they "feel bad" about it. Supporting multiple platforms is logical. No reason to feel bad. Not enabling this on pc's is yes.. you're bad.

I further predict the internet is going to explode again the second someone releases a mod for this and a large site like eurogamer gets a hold of it. Good luck.

Go on.. Just watch this video in fullscreen. :)

Well then, thank you for for sharing your findings. I'm also a modder, and it annoys me when I see people who have found something out, and release meaningless 'teaser' material. Such as screens / videos (imo). While keeping the relevant info on how to reproduce, to themselves.

I've seen this done quite a lot, and if that's not the case here, then you've got yourself an apology.;

I'm not trying to release something here, btw. I'm merely curious. I'm also not a sleazy asshole, who would claim somebody else's findings. I'm also not at my own machine at the moment. So I can't have a look, but I'll do when I'm home.

Good job, at any rate.

No offense intended. But, unlike most people. I don't sit around waiting for other people to do things for me. I like to do them myself, when possible.

no problem man, i would be happy if someone can take a look at this too, ther's just too much settings/files volume for one person, i just didnt want peoples to think that CDPR is hiding some secret E3 shit and they get some bad words that they dont deserve, whatever was their reason for not using this, its buggy in the first place when used for gameplay anyway

But, unlike most people. I don't sit around waiting for other people to do things for me. I like to do them myself, when possible.
And I at least love you for it. I get my modder on sometimes but in games like this when you can't change that much in runtime and the effects of graphical tweaks aren't incredibly apparent I tend not to do too much. That and patches potentially ruining your mods, that's why I stopped looking into the .bundle's myself.

Are there any comparisons of the different AA methods available to us? In game, fxaa and smaa?
http://www.deadendthrills.com/forum/discussion/408/guide-the-witcher-3/p7
Someone just wrote a bunch about injected SMAA on this page, I haven't read it myself though.

My findings:
The AA that comes with the game doesn't seem to blur much but it gets rid of shimmering. I use it.
FXAA injected with sweetfx is too buggy with the other shaders I use, trees get this weird black outline. I don't use it.
SMAA I use since it cleans up a lot of aliasing, I set the threshold to 0.12. Can kind of see it in action on the hilt here.

And I at least love you for it. I get my modder on sometimes but in games like this when you can't change that much in runtime and the effects of graphical tweaks aren't incredibly apparent I tend not to do too much. That and patches potentially ruining your mods, that's why I stopped looking into the .bundle's myself.

http://www.deadendthrills.com/forum/discussion/408/guide-the-witcher-3/p7
Someone just wrote a bunch about injected SMAA on this page, I haven't read it myself though.

My findings:
The AA that comes with the game doesn't seem to blur much but it gets rid of shimmering. I use it.
FXAA injected with sweetfx is too buggy with the other shaders I use, trees get this weird black outline. I don't use it.
SMAA I use since it cleans up a lot of aliasing, I set the threshold to 0.12. Can kind of see it in action on the hilt here.

So you basically use the in-game AA and SMAA from sweetFX?

If its your video and you find how to do that with the game file, maybe you can create to topic to explain how to, and let the community work on that. Instead of just releasing a teasing video. It would certainly give faster result for the benefit of everyone ^^
( and dont worry i'am sure everyone is not going to forget who found the "setting" ;) )

Imo, it would be far more interesting than just keeping that for yourself, and make everyone wait that, you, hypothetically, one day, share the info / succeed to correctly setup everything. ( or wait that someone else find the setting(s), and share it )

But, funny how it look like watch dogs and thoses guys just cutoff somes parameter when they was there from the begning for the PC version.....

Okay.. so say my console conspiracy theory has a possibility of being incorrect.

If there's no fps hit I can't imagine why the 1 version, for all platforms, wasn't designed around this cutscene lighting.. why did they choose the warcraft version instead?

There's information we're missing. I really hope its not consoles, or one particular console, because that's terrible. Its in the game.. and yes.. cutscenes can have more expensive things because the camera angles and panning is controlled...

Oh no.. Okay i should leave these forms its only going to make me sad. I can't unsee the real nextgen version. Look at @essenthy 's video when hes inside novigrad.. or the city walls when hes in the game.

why was this not the default? 1/2 the complaints about the downgrade wouldn't have happened. Yeah i feel for the devs now. Really. Sorry guys. Its one thing to do something out of necessity (multiplatform), but to have it better and disabled for some random reason is an unjust situation for everyone involved.

@vesemas228 It has a noted performance hit on the consoles and they could only afford one build of the game during development. They were running into real budget issues seeing as how they delayed and released a game that still needs many patches. We make this seeming oversight out to be like they don't care about PC gamers but it's just good development practices as far as business is concerned.

Probably.

@vesemas228 It has a noted performance hit on the consoles and they could only afford one build of the game during development. They were running into real budget issues seeing as how they delayed and released a game that still needs many patches. We make this seeming oversight out to be like they don't care about PC gamers but it's just good development practices as far as business is concerned.

Probably.

Thanks to essenthy explaining his finding's in his work though.. It sounds like the difference between the cutscene lighting game and witcher wow is a very large number of evironment/weather configuration files. Its settings for a different light.. and a few other things.

I'm curious whether they finished this internally, and once the corporate console borg decides the most profitable sale window is over for xboxes, cdpr can suddenly push these out as the 2013 patch for pc players..

All the pre downgraded stuff looked awesome. It makes sense that they started working on this first.. and then when random things happened, the SECOND thing that was developed was the downgrade. I wonder what happened to the first version?? How close to finished is it? Yes there are many things taken away, but the lighting and weather please give it to us!!!!

Thanks to essenthy explaining his finding's in his work though.. It sounds like the difference between the cutscene lighting game and witcher wow is a very large number of evironment/weather configuration files. Its settings for a different light.. and a few other things.

I'm curious whether they finished this internally, and once the corporate console borg decides the most profitable sale window is over for xboxes, cdpr can suddenly push these out as the 2013 patch for pc players..

All the pre downgraded stuff looked awesome. It makes sense that they started working on this first.. and then when random things happened, the SECOND thing that was developed was the downgrade. I wonder what happened to the first version?? How close to finished is it? Yes there are many things taken away, but the lighting and weather please give it to us!!!!

That super grainy and sharpened greyish render is probably gone, but the version from 35 min gameplay video and from SOD trailer definitely used better lighting and it should be achievable. I'm hoping it is and it will be brought back to the game.

Last edited:
What has me excited is.. this cutscene stuff is in the game already. It doesn't need some crazy sweetfx or enb sitting ontop of it to do it.. the game is just being told not to do it. Plus of course the configuration needed to get it like that.

It sounds like someone in the mod community is going to flip the switch and get this out at some point.. but it sounds so close.. common cdpr, can we have it pretty please? :)

It's not "washed out", it's the ambient light reflecting on surfaces, as it happens in real life.

I have been in the real world, experiencing real life, all day and it does not look washed out like some of the daytime pictures - to me. Not sure why you are so sure it doesn't look washed out to me? The guy who put the pictures up even mentioned a "fog" look.

What has me excited is.. this cutscene stuff is in the game already. It doesn't need some crazy sweetfx or enb sitting ontop of it to do it.. the game is just being told not to do it. Plus of course the configuration needed to get it like that.

It sounds like someone in the mod community is going to flip the switch and get this out at some point.. but it sounds so close.. common cdpr, can we have it pretty please? :)

Seems to me we're a long ways to go from that point. At the moment I think and probably for another 2-3 months (and I'm being generous) they'll concentrate on squashing game-breaking bugs (such as XP not being given for quests etc.) and it's not set in stone that they will ever get to or want to restore the game's original assets and features the way they were advertised.

I agree though that cutscene lighting being in the game is a good thing and there's probably a way to enable it for the whole game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom