Slotting abilities

+
Slotting abilities

When I started I just assumed that all levels of one particular tree would only take up one ability slot, so for example all points put into the entire Quen tree would only take up one slot. But I just unlocked my first secondary sign ability and it seems that it needs to take up it's own separate slot, which seems kind of lame. The first Quen ability is exploding shield and next is the secondary. Do I need to equip these separately to get both?? Most abilities seem to have 4 upgrades, like quen has exploding shield, secondary, intensity, and discharge. If I want to have all of these active do I need to take up 4 ability slots? I'm 99% this is correct, but it's just not what I had hoped would happen. Thanks!

Seems fine w/ me. It doesn't make character quite OP in early game.

Yes in late game and invested my skill purely one abilities, i will be OP but that's RPG is all about crafting the best armor in the game and lvling.

It was a question...so you're confirming that each of the 4 upgrades for any category all take up their own spot?

Yeah, for an upgrade to work, you have to "equip" it.

I don't like the "slot" idea at all. Makes as much sense as waiting to be level 37 to use a piece of armor. It feels like lazy balancing.

There's something like 70 skills available I think and at max level you can only slot 12...seems a bit weak.

Last edited:
I personally hate this slotting system and atm i have now run out of skills to get and since im limited via slots i have 3 spare skill points at lvl 31 and 12 wasted ones. So this 12 skill slot is not really helping and just ends up being an annoyance.

Mohasz

Forum veteran
I don't mind having to gradually unlock skill slots, although I do wish there were a little more (maybe 16) available.

I guess you could just say they are giving you lots of choice and possible builds?

Choice is generally good, but this is a little unbalanced to me, especially since they could have done this ANY WAY they wanted to, and no other game I can think of is this limiting.

I mean let's say you want to focus on 2 lines from the combat tree, 2 from the signs, and 2 general..That seems reasonable considering you are ignoring 3 combat skill lines, 3 sign lines, ALL of the alchemy, and 8 general skills. This would still require 18 slots and you only have 12!

I Would also like to add that this slotting system would be a LOT bearable if we had a few more slots, atleast total 18 slots. They do not need a mutagen slot but really would like more slots to use more skills and not sit with spare points.

Don't like the skill system in W3. The system feels as if geared towards max level play only. It makes me feel that no matter what I do, I cant create a well balanced character, a jack of all trades. Very limiting.

They did that for a reason. Some monsters would need different tactics and therefore different skills slotted. Where they actually failed is that most monsters can be killed no matter what skills you pick.

Haven't required any different tactics so far, my build has been same from pretty much lvl 20 and i hate having spare skill points which are utterly useless. So yes its a broken system. IF you suggest keep wasted skills to switch then im sorry but that is a stupid idea, already have enough to manage my oils which i have to browse over each one to apply and i refuse to do that with skills.

I must be the minority here, because I don't really mind the system. At level 26 Geralt feels extremely overpowered and I'm not even using a single tier maxed out build. Why I don't have a problem with this system is the way the upgrade system works, there are just a lot of very bad skills, like 25% extra sign damage for a single sign or sign abilties that add damage, but that damage doesn't scale with sign intensity or abilities that give you something your maxed out on already, see Igni and burn chance. I personally don't see the point of 3rd and 4th tier sign abilities, they are all kind of bad, the same can be said for 4th tier alchemy abilities. The yellow neutral abilities don't scale off anything so taking them as anything other than early game place holders to be respec'd later is silly. I haven't tested the combat abilities beyond the first tier so I can't comment on them. All in all I am finding very few non used points, I have one alchemy ability I skilled into that is not being used and that's it.

Last edited:
They should have let you learn ALL abilities by level 70. So, perhaps they'd need to give you 2-3 points per level. Since you can only slot 12 abilities, it doesn't matter how many you have learned.

Giving more points would have the benefit of people being able to build what ever they want by around level 30, which seriously, is the end game level. Currently, for people wanting two or three Tier 3/4 abilities pretty much have to wait till level 70. That's completely ridiculous.

Top Bottom