+

Triss vs Yennefer [NOW WITH SPOILERS. Oh, well.]

• I like triss better

Votes: 269 49.5%
  • i like yen better

Votes: 200 36.8%
  • I like tris better, and from a RP point, I would have to go for yen

Votes: 49 9.0%
  • from a RP point, I'd go with triss aswell.

Votes: 25 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My original post after all the Yen's fanboys started swarming here still stays valid.

Oh, I'll definitely read the books again one day, but not the thread. I have a life, you know.

Good for you.

---------- Updated at 11:13 AM ----------

Are you trying to bait me? Try harder.

So you are a Triss fanboy? Nothing wrong with that... usually.

Reading the thread took me 30 minutes.

Parsing on subjective things as fact. STALKER is better than what you like :p

No one is really baiting you. You are angry for some reason.

My dear Maerd..... let me explain something, not every person have to agree with you, you have your point that's fine, but to insulting people just because they do not share your point of view makes me wonder that you are or a 13 years old boy with some serious issues, or you are an sociopath, that's my opinion whatever you like it or not, and for me that's the end of our discussion. I wish you all the best in the future....

Geralt may be one of the best swordsmen in the world. Too bad it is a world where his "power level" is not even on the same level as that of most normal mages. Let alone hers.
If you want to discuss the consistency of the magic users' power in the witcher world then it's a bit straying away from the topic. I just say that in the books sorcerers are shown inconsistently: sometimes they are shown way too overpowered and then simple squirrels kill them in droves during Thanedd coup.

Expressing compassion can be faked. Not hard to do either way. Yen expresses compassion on the death of Vezemir.
Yen walks into a death trap near the end of the saga... where she is tortured and beaten.
Indeed the expression of compassion can be faked, faked very believably. That's why you need to see all behaviour as a big picture to make a judgement.
Getting into a death trap by itself means nothing, its all about expectation of how the situation will be played out.

---------- Updated at 11:52 AM ----------

So you are a Triss fanboy? Nothing wrong with that... usually.
No, as I said, Triss is way too childish for my taste. She's like a grown up stuck with teenager mentality. In the games my favorite females are: Abigail from TW1 and Sile from TW2, in TW3 there are no females that strike me as especially interesting (I mean for potential long relationships, not for one time ploughing).

Parsing on subjective things as fact. STALKER is better than what you like :p
Awesome.

No one is really baiting you. You are angry for some reason.

That reply was not addressed to you.

If you want to discuss the consistency of the magic users' power in the witcher world then it's a bit straying away from the topic. I just say that in the books sorcerers are shown inconsistently: sometimes they are shown way too overpowered and then simple squirrels kill them in droves during Thanedd coup.

Indeed the expression of compassion can be faked, faked very believably. That's why you need to see all behaviour as a big picture to make a judgement.
Getting into a death trap by itself means nothing, its all about expectation of how the situation will be played out.

Yen is shown consistently to be a very powerful mage. And one with some battle experience. The other mages are mostly ... not like that.

I see it as a big picture :)

And what would she hope to happen? To be saved by Geralt?
Her last info on him was that he hated her...
http://i.imgur.com/sis7O4F.png

Yen is shown consistently to be a very powerful mage. And one with some battle experience. The other mages are mostly ... not like that.
So, in one of the short stories she turns people into animals in large quantities but then she never tried to turn Vilgefortz into a chicken. That would have been very easy, so she conveniently forgot that spell in time of a great need.

So, in one of the short stories she turns people into animals in large quantities but then she never tried to turn Vilgefortz into a chicken. That would have been very easy, so she conveniently forgot that spell in time of a great need.

Vilgefortz is a battle mage...
Not really a normal opponent.

And what would she hope to happen? To be saved by Geralt?
Her last info on him was that he hated her...
Meh... just don't tell me she wanted commit suicide.

---------- Updated at 12:21 PM ----------

Vilgefortz is a battle mage...
Not really a normal opponent.
I don't see how that matters. He's a human and don't have special magic resistances against transformation besides book plot hole super protection ;)

Meh... just don't tell me she wanted commit suicide.

No. Desperation to find Ciri and set things straight with Geralt.

The only time they actually thought of suicide is in the baths where Emhyr ordered it. And she was going to die with Geralt there.

First off I guess I need to explain that I am not a Book reader, I was introduced to the Witcher universe through The Witcher 2 so arguably I'm heavily influenced by Triss' character in that game coming into The Witcher 3.

Even though I choose Triss I am very interested in Yennefer and everything that she brings to the series, my interest in Yennefer was created by her being mentioned as being important to Geralt while also seeming to be a touchy subject with Triss during Witcher 2. So even though I choose triss I was excited to meet her in Witcher 3.

After playing through the game I saw Yennefer as being more of an old flame, someone who was and still is very important to Geralt and while I felt that they truly loved each other deeply I also felt that they were not "in love" with each other at the same time.

On the other hand there is Triss who I see as ending up falling deeply in love with Geralt during Yennefer's absence, probably not intentionally but stuff like this happens in the real world all the time and it happened here in the game series.

You have Geralt (a known womanizer) with amnesia whose significant other (yennefer) is gone, though he still feels the pull of the Djinn's magic.
You have Triss a somewhat naive young sorceress who wears her heart on her sleeve now spending all this time at Kaer Morhen with Geralt.

I see Triss succumbing to Geralt's probable advances during this time and eventually falling for him HARD, and I see Geralt who may have initially thought of Triss as just another sexual conquest falling for her not only because of her undeniably charming personality but also because of the way she is with Ciri. All of this occurs even with the Djinn's magic still in effect.

I got the impression in the witcher 2 that Triss was not proud of the fact that she had fallen in love with her friend's man, but shit happens and she found herself in a very tough situation possibly setting herself up for a very hard fall if Yennefer ever returned. Despite this Triss decides to help Geralt recover his memory by recovering a rose of remembrance because she feels his struggles to regain his memory.

In the witcher 3 we find Geralt alone on Yennefer's trail I believe he was without Triss because she decided for Geralt's best interests to remove herself from the situation so he could figure out his feelings for Yennefer without any distractions from her, as hard as this must have been for her to do she was preparing for her hard fall.

So I see Geralt falling in love with Triss despite a Djinns magic, and its plain to see how deep in love with Geralt Triss is, I see Yennefer as being able to handle this as she already knew that Geralt and Triss were together so she stayed away, I think she stayed away because she knew that even though she loves Geralt she was not "in love" with Geralt anymore and this is why she pushes Geralt to help her find the Djinn to remove the magical bond once and for all.

To summarize, Geralt and Triss ended up falling in love during Yennefers absence, it happens. I don’t see Triss to blame for this and knowing Geralt as well as she does I dont think Yennefer blames Triss either.

Anyways those are my NON BOOK reasons for choosing Triss, I think Yennefer would be fine while I think Triss would be utterly crushed if Geralt didn’t choose her and I see Geralt realizing that while he does love Yennefer he is in love with Triss.

You have Triss a somewhat naive young sorceress who wears her heart on her sleeve now spending all this time at Kaer Morhen with Geralt.
A bit of clarification here. Triss is neither naive nor young. She's about 40 years old woman who, by magic means, makes herself a look of a teen and tries to behave that way. I guess it should give you a little bit different perspective now. :) However, Triss is quite young in comparison to Yennefer, of course, who's over a century old.

A bit of clarification here. Triss is neither naive nor young. She's about 40 years old woman who, by magic means, makes herself a look of a teen and tries to behave that way. I guess it should give you a little bit different perspective now. However, Triss is quite young in comparison to Yennefer, of course, who's over a century old.

She is older than 40 as she is too old to have children. My bet is 55-60. She is still a bit naive, because she trusts Philippa Eilhart.

I believe that Yennefer is 99 now.

She is older than 40 as she is too old to have children. My bet is 55-60. She is still a bit naive, because she trusts Philippa Eilhart.

I believe that Yennefer is 99 now.

She's a Sorceress and all sorceresses are sterile anyway.

A bit of clarification here. Triss is neither naive nor young. She's about 40 years old woman who, by magic means, makes herself a look of a teen and tries to behave that way. I guess it should give you a little bit different perspective now. :) However, Triss is quite young in comparison to Yennefer, of course, who's over a century old.
She is indeed young for a sorceress and she is also pretty naive for a sorceress as well, this makes her a naive young sorceress just like I stated.... lol

Geralt mentions that came as a huge surprise to her for that very reason.
They aren't all sterile. Most of them become sterile, but Tissaia de Vries imposed forced sterilization to students of Aretuza, the sorceress school, as a way of saying you have to choose which you want to be, a mother or a sorceress.

---------- Updated at 12:13 AM ----------

Oh, really? Enlighten me, kid, what was my definition and where it doesn't fit? And which part of "I've read that thread" you didn't understand? Do you know the saying: "If you say 'sugar' 10 times it won't get sweeter"?

Talking to the fanboys is like talking with religious fanatics.

You said, and I quote

Triss and Geralt are not because they repeatedly shown getting themselves involved in purely altruistic behaviour. Psychopaths won't do that

Yennefer also frequently engages in altruistic behaviors, but you wouldn't know that, because it's inconvenient for your argument. Therefore she can't be a psychopath by your own reasoning.

Geralt mentions that came as a huge surprise to her for that very reason.

Baptism of Fire (fan translation as I'm too lazy to translate it from my native language), the discussion of the Lodge, Margarita speaking:

‘And who do you think Kovir would choose without pressure? A girl of the royal family, with royal blood in her veins for generations. A young girl, suitable for a young prince. A girl who can give birth, because this is about a dynasty. That sets the bar and excludes you, Philippa and excludes me, it even excludes Keira and Triss, the youngest among us. It also excludes all adepts from my school, which, after all, are not very interesting because the buds of the petals are still of an unknown colour, it is unthinkable that any one of them could sit with us as at the empty place at this table as the twelfth. In other words, even if the whole of Kovir goes mad and was willing to accept the king’s marriage to a sorceress, a sorceress can not be found. So who is to be this Queen of the North?’

Implies that some young sorceresses can have children. Though those children are more likely to be retarded (I think Tissaia de Vries says so).

Edit: Added response to keldrath

They aren't all sterile. Most of them become sterile, but Tissaia de Vries imposed forced sterilization to students of Aretuza, the sorceress school, as a way of saying you have to choose which you want to be, a mother or a sorceress.

Exactly. Though I am not sure if she really imposed the sterilization. It seems she only wanted to do it (citation - she says it is necessary to sterilize them, it is only her opinion). Oherwise the citation from the Baptism of Fire doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Exactly. Though I am not sure if she really imposed the sterilization. It seems she only wanted to do it (citation - she says it is necessary to sterilize them, it is only her opinion). Oherwise the citation from the Baptism of Fire doesn't make sense.

Seems pretty clear she did since she was the headmistress and she said "I demand all apprentices be sterilized. Without exception." Didn't sound like a request.

Seems pretty clear she did since she was the headmistress and she said "I demand all apprentices be sterilized. Without exception." Didn't sound like a request.

Conscious of the gravity of what I write, I answer the question
posed at the Congress in Cidaris. I ask most emphatically: each one of
us must decide what she wants to be — a wizard or a mother.
I demand all apprentices be sterilised. Without exception.

Sounds like proposition.

Yes, she was the rector, but she might have decided to propose the sterilization after being succeeded by Margarita Laux-Antille. Furthermore, the citation of Margarita from BoF implies that the girls from Aretuza can have children and she is currently the rector, not Tissaia.

She is still a bit naive, because she trusts Philippa Eilhart.

I wouldn't call it naivety. Philippa is a mastermind manipulator and Triss considers her a mentor. I wouldn't call following advices of your mentor a naivety. You may argue about moral image of Phillipa but you cannot deny that she's one of the most skilled sorceress existing. Therefore Triss listening to Philippa's advice is justified.
And Triss is infertile not because she's too old. See replies by others, they pretty much explained it all.

---------- Updated at 03:41 AM ----------

Yennefer also frequently engages in altruistic behaviors, but you wouldn't know that, because it's inconvenient for your argument. Therefore she can't be a psychopath by your own reasoning.
Except you didn't provide a single example. Altruism is a not a doing something good for other people but doing those good deeds without expecting anything in return, so helping Geralt doesn't count because she scores points in his eyes by helping him since she's attracted to him.

Here's an example what is not altruism:
- A psychopath can make a large donation to charity. But it's not altruistic because such donation will be definitely made public and known to everyone so a lot of people will see the act of generosity. It serves as an advertisement, not as a desire to help poor. The altruistic act would be to make such donation incognito, without publicity. Psychopaths will consider incognito donations stupid.
- A psychopath can save someone from death or injury, even if some reasonable risk is involved, if he wants to impress a girl, for instance. The difference with the altruism is that the psychopath won't do it if nobody's watching him.
- A psychopath will be the best buddy and friend of anybody higher on the hierarchical ladder of power and will be helping them with a zeal. But it's not altruism because this way they score points with more powerful people in the hope to gain their favors and get a shear of power themselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom