Auto sheathe

+
Auto sheath still in and no fast casting with hot keys....

It boggles my mind these two features made it through testing, especially the former. Auto sheath has killed Geralt more times than gophers get run over in Wyoming. It is absolutely retarded. I don't know how often it needs to be brought up for them to simply put this in the player's control.

auto sheath still in and no fast casting with hot keys....

it boggles my mind these two features made it through testing, especially the former. Auto sheath has killed geralt more times than gophers get run over in wyoming. It is absolutely retarded. I don't know how often it needs to be brought up for them to simply put this in the player's control.
qft.

Auto sheath still in and no fast casting with hot keys....

It boggles my mind these two features made it through testing, especially the former. Auto sheath has killed Geralt more times than gophers get run over in Wyoming. It is absolutely retarded. I don't know how often it needs to be brought up for them to simply put this in the player's control.

Hyuh. That about says it.

And putting the weapon out automatically when I dodge an attack is also annoying. Sometimes I'm trying to punch a well armed dude to death and I keep pulling out my unnecessary weapon.

I found the patch notes for 1.05 but not a squeak about this. ((Currently not using the correct computer to play to try/test.)) Was this, by far most requested, "feature" seriously not removed or is it worded in the patch notes in such a way I'm missing it?

that, plus the camera reset if you don't move it for too long is sawing my brain in half every time it happens, here I am, riding my horse, admiring the sights on the right, and the camera pulls back to the front view, I return it to the right, and a couple of seconds later... it goes back to the front

my screen was almost punched a couple of times

Could we get at least some official word on this, please?

Basically an answer to what the OP asked for, like if an option to turn auto-(un)sheathe off is considered to be put into the game at some point or if this issue (and it is an issue for a lot of people if you didn't notice) is even seen as a problem at CDPR HQ at all?

Yesterday for instance I repeatedly got my ass whipped again trying to do the good old hit-and-run with a bunch of Mucknixers a couple of levels above mine. Which wouldn't be much of a problem if you as the player had full control over when engagement resp. disengagement (a.k.a. drawing your sword resp. sheathing your sword) starts and/or ends.

So... a word on this issue, please?
A simple "Maybe, we're considering it" or "No, we've no plans regarding this" would be enough, for starters.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I just love sprinting up to bandits and punching them in the face rather then having my sword out oh wait that's a bug with the auto draw/sheath as it should draw my sword and let me stabby stab them.

Now the problem is if i press 1 to draw my weapon the auto draw works and I sheath it again it's so bloody random and sods law when you try to draw auto kicks in a draws so you sheath and if you don;t draw auto fails and you still end up punching people.

This or when unsuspecting mobs are walking in the opposite direction and I can't roast them with igni because they're 1 meter too far.

Add auto-sheating as a toggleable option in the menu, it is the most sensible thing one can do! It was hell when a couple of ghouls joined in a bandit mob, Geralt couldn't do anything because everytime an enemy came closer he would stop and switch to the apropriate sword, then he would switch again because he targeted a different enemy.

We are not requesting an overhaul of how it currently works, just a toggle so we can manually draw and use swords (or fists).

Option to turn off auto-unsheathe / auto-sheathe

I'm sure you noticed that there's kind of a demand for this.
And for good reason or rather a couple of good reasons, to say the least.

In case you're not aware - there's the odd moment when Geralt for whatever reason decides to put away the sword while still engaged in battle.
Same thing happens with automatically unsheathing or drawing swords in certain situations where the player does not necessarily want Geralt to unsheathe or draw just yet but he does it anyway.

The outcome usually leaves Geralt with no sword in hand at all and being smacked around a bit because, for instance you pressed [1] or [2] to draw the appropriate sword JUST a few milliseconds AFTER the automatic draw kicked in, resulting in Geralt drawing and IMMEDIATELY sheathing the sword again. And taking a few free hits or even lethal blows if you're playing on Death March for instance.

What everyone who already complained about this basically wants is optional full control over when and which sword to draw and/or sheathe at any given point, except for critical moments like cutscenes or certain situations like steering a boat obviously.

I honestly can't think of one valid reason why a simple option to turn both auto-draw and auto-sheathe off isn't in the game at this point already.

Is it because it needs one more dissatisfied customer to complain about this 'feature'?
Well, consider this here post another complaint and at the same time plea to make this optional rather sooner than later.

Last edited:
Auto-sheathing is also creating to an issue with using the manual target-lock feature.
If you un-target an enemy while still in combat, it will trigger auto-sheathe in most cases.
I hope this gets looked into.

+1. Auto sheathe is no good. Ive been hit by quite a few arrows as ive gotten out of combat range.

Ive stopped playing the game, coming on two weeks now, until its fixed up a bit more (there a quite a few issues that need addressing). Though the last time i was slogging through it i seemed to have adapted to not leaving the invisible combat radius during a fight. Going so far as to literally chase down a wolf, for no other reason other than ensuing my character doesnt sheathe his sword. Though i wasnt thinking that directly. I was more thinking "i cant let it get away from me!". It changed my playstyle somewhat, from a more immersive, slow attack pace to one where i feel im in a tightly confined fighting pit where the trick isnt the fighting as much as ensuring you never leave this invisible ring, for fear of those 2/3 archers getting free shots at you. As your enemies move, so does this invisible ring. That makes me rush the combat, which i would like to take my time with. Id enjoy it more that way.

Auto-sheathing is also creating to an issue with using the manual target-lock feature.

That manual target-lock feature drove me up the wall. At least from the aspect of using a controller. If all of the enemies im facing are standing next to each other, i could cycle through them either left or right. Fine. But if they stacked up, i couldnt cycle through them up or down (closest to farthest). It was woeful. Unlocking target and re-locking in a clustered group was cumbersome too.

As i slowly threw off the shackles of the target-lock feature it dawned on me... back when i played the Witcher 2, i had disregarded the target-lock as well. Things started improving from there. After that i only ever used it for 1 on 1's, against a large foe that required the use of dodge rolling.

Between playing TW2 and TW3 i played Dark Souls 2, which i religiously used a target-lock for. THAT game does it well, this game does not. I would recommend avoiding it, if you're having the same issue with it as i was. It was because of my DS2 playthrough that i gave the target-lock in TW3 so much time, until i realised it actually isnt the best way to play this game (at least in its current state).

I'd like both the option to disable auto-sheath and the ability to either enter combat mode manually or increase the range at which it becomes active.

I agree with every one in this thread. I feel so close to you all. Ooooh, I just felt a love bubble. bump.

Yes, this is EXTREMELY frustrating. I don't EVER want Geralt to sheath his sword for any reason. There is a "sheath weapon" button and I know it is "C" and I know how to press "C" when I want to sheath my weapon. It's so frustrating you fight numerous enemies and perhaps the super fast enemy goes just out of "fight range" or whatever for a billionth of a millisecond, and before you can manually draw your sword (or have it auto-draw), the enemy is on you, or 1000 enemies are on you. Not only that but in my freaking out trying to get my weapon I might hit the sword key to draw, and the game already decided to re-draw my weapon so now I end up resheathing it. Talk about breaking immersion.

I don't mind when Geralt draws the sword automatically as that is almost always helpful. It is NEVER helpful when he sheathes the sword. What does it accomplish that is useful? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! There is a damn sheath button, let me use it! At a bare minimum make a gameplay option "Auto-sheath weapon" with "enabled" and "disabled", default it to whatever you want but please let us disable that. It's one of the few things in the game that have made me curse and swear out loud, usually after getting killed because of Geralt's auto-stupidity with sheathing the sword.

I also support putting an end to auto sheathing. Sheathing with a button is already easy enough, I can manage it on my own.

Also I'd like to put this idea for combat here too. While the issue with deflecting/dodging arrows from a distance has been fixed, honest it's a bit of a messy fix. Combat mode range varies based on the enemy present, and when there are multiple enemy types it tends to act real strange. Other than that combat mode bubble is too small for non ranged enemies, yet they have long reaches with their lunges.

Please just change the combat system, give us more control over combat. Turn off auto sheath, and make it so that combat mode starts when weapon is drawn, ends with us sheathing the weapon.

Top Bottom