How old is Geralt?

+
How old is Geralt?

I was playing and just thought, as I haven't played any of the other Witcher games or read any of the books, how old is he? And any other character for that matter. Because Ciri is young at the beginning, but when she grows up to be a women he looks basically exactly the same.

I was playing and just thought, as I haven't played any of the other Witcher games or read any of the books, how old is he? And any other character for that matter. Because Ciri is young at the beginning, but when she grows up to be a women he looks basically exactly the same.

Geralt is...100 year old, more or less.
Ciri is 11/12 years old when during her training at Kaer Morhen. And is 20 or 23 years old in the game.

I don't recall them ever given a specific age but they make comments about him being over/around a century old so somewhere in there. Witchers have greatly increased lifespans compared to normal humans. Tho it's kind of a moot point since most end up being killed by some monster before they get to really enjoy it lol

Ok, now for a totally new question. How do they all look so young and when will they actually die of old age?
Triss and Yennifer are sorceresses. All sorceresses use magic to prolong their life and make themselves look artificially young. It's a vanity thing.

Geralt and Vessimer are Witchers. Witcher mutations give them unnaturally long lives and keep them in peak physical condition. Even Vessimer has the body of a 25 year old. And he is probably over 200.

I'm way off then. I know Vessimer tells him "You're not so far off from 100 yourself" in the tutorial. So we know he is not yet 100

The old Pen&Paper says 103 at the end of the books.
The world created by CDPR always had some trouble in date and continuity. If not 100 years, then he is still around 95/97.

The Trial of the Grasses (to become a witcher) is what keeps 'em young. The Trial also kills 7 of 10 boys who undertake it.

Triss and Yennifer are sorceresses. All sorceresses use magic to prolong their life and make themselves look artificially young. It's a vanity thing.

Geralt and Vessimer are Witchers. Witcher mutations give them unnaturally long lives and keep them in peak physical condition. Even Vessimer has the body of a 25 year old. And he is probably over 200.

Vesemir has the body of a 50 years old, with the face of 70 years old. He is 200 year old, or maybe more.

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that Geralt is 90.

Ok, now for a totally new question. How do they all look so young and when will they actually die of old age?

All mages and Withcers look young because of magic and mutations respectively.
No witcher ever died in his bed. This is their moto. Which means the don't grow old enough.

Guest 3800752

Vesemir has the body of a 50 years old, with the face of 70 years old. He is 200 year old, or maybe more.

"Kaer Morhen is an inaccessible mountain stronghold which has been the headquarters of the witchers' guild for centuries."

&

"Vesemir is the oldest and most experienced Witcher, possibly older than Kaer Morhen itself."

= Vesemir is way older than 200 yo.

Geralt is around 90 - 100 years old.
Yennefer is around 110, while Triss is way younger (around 50).
Ciri is around 25 in most of TW3 (except the beginning of course where she should be around 12).
Vesemir is around 200. The "probably older than Kear Morhen" is not meant literally, I think that's a euphemism.

The reason why Witchers live so long is their mutations. They make them immune against most poisons and illnesses, which means they can only die of old age. Add their improved metabolism, high cell reproduction (better healing abilities) and other mutations and they can grow very old.

I mean if you think about it it makes sense. After all all that lets us humans age are the limits of our ability of cell and DNS reproduction. Would our cells have higher reproductive capabilities and would our body contain more telomerase which could produce telomers, the endings of our DNS that do not contain any information but prevent that our DNS is "cut short" while copying it (because that is unfortunately happening), we would live longer. In fact, I think scientists just recently discovered a gene that could increase out cell reproduction abilities, so a "jump" in age-limitations might not be so far away in todays world.

Sorceresses and Mages grow old due to their magic, and their appearance is most of the time formed by magic. They change themselves to look attractive. Not a n illusion mind you, more like a transformation done by magic over the years (on purpose by the mages themselves). I think Sorcerers and Sorceresses can become around 300 - 400 years old according to the books, while Witchers COULD live a little bit less long, though most die between 20 and 150 (no specifics were ever named, those latter numbers are only estimated) due to the nature of their work.

As for Ciri, well, she isn't old yet, but considering she had magic abilities AND has elven blood (elves grow hundreds of years old) in her veins it probably means she could get very old as well.

For Witchers it has to do with their accelerated regeneration and healing. Their bodies heals itself faster and so it also contributes to aging slower than regular people, and you could say it is pretty similar to Wolverine's case. Wolverine also has regenerative ability, so he stays young and has a long life.
Me too, he's 90ish I think I read about it somewhere.

And a witcher has a lifespan of 200 years.
No Witcher has ever died of old age so no one knows what their life span is.
They all have been killed while fighting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom