+

Triss vs Yennefer [NOW WITH SPOILERS. Oh, well.]

• I like triss better

Votes: 269 49.5%
  • i like yen better

Votes: 200 36.8%
  • I like tris better, and from a RP point, I would have to go for yen

Votes: 49 9.0%
  • from a RP point, I'd go with triss aswell.

Votes: 25 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because, like you said - it's not supposed to be 'traditional' in any sense. But it doesn't make it 'unreal'.

It can't be repeated enough times : the wish never created FEELINGS. It ties their fates together (fates, important word - not LIVES) - if it literally tied them together, that would mean that they have to be together AT ALL TIMES, in the same room. Does it happen? Of course not. Tje djinn's wish doesn't stop them from separating for longest periods of time.

First of all, it's not clear what's been the exact wording of the last wish, unless I missed some interview of Sapkowski in which he clarified it.
While I also intepreted it as the being tied together, it's never said and imo not likely that tied means just physically. They are tied together in all possible ways, especially emotionally. If the Djinn wanted to tie them together, the best way to achieve this would be by making them love each other.

Now that is just wrong. First- it's basically bullshit - a legend spoken amongst humans. Witchers can love. Also Geralt is not a regular witcher, he's more emotional.
I guess you have any example that Witcher's can love ? How many Witchers we know showed real love towards another person? Geralt doesn't count as the two persons he mostly cares about and which could be interpreted as love are tied to him by something else.Ciri by Destiny and Yen by the Djinn's magic. Vesemir, Eskel, Coen, Lambert that cat school witcher from season of storms? Geralt for another person that isn't tied to him by another power?

---------- Updated at 10:36 PM ----------

Where? I really dont remember these fatcs...could you be so kind to post quotes about it from book?
"Fact" is just another word for "my interpretation" for many people in this thread. Just translate it for yourself.

Last edited:
If the Djinn wanted to tie them together, the best way to achieve this would be by making them love each other.

First of all, the djinn 'didn't want anything'. Oh no, I'm sorry he did - he wanted to kill Yennefer. And Geralt had to prevent that. Wishing for Yen's love would grant him nothing, the djinn would have killed her anyway. So he had to do something else - as djinns cannot harm their masters (here: Geralt) only tying fates made sense, because if the djinn had killed Yen - Geralt would have died too - and it can't happen (see above). It's the most common and most logical theory in the witcher fandom, always has been. Also I guess even Dandelion(?) hints on it, he says something like :"If he(Geralt) could just tie fate to the fate..nah, he wouldn't think of it".

Even if we can never truly know what the djin binding did, my interpretation is that it never created the love between the two. Or at least, that dispelling the wish certainly didn't dispel Geralt feelings for Yennefer. And the confirmation is that Yennefer's feelings for him didn't go away, so why would Geralt's for her?

Imo, Geralt has feelings for both women in W3. Then he uses his head -the one above his shoulders- and realizes he can't have both (sadly) and so he either says goodbye to Triss on the docks or says the magic is gone to Yennefer in the boat.

Wow so many feelings in such few sentences.

First of all, the djinn 'didn't want anything'. Oh no, I'm sorry he did - he wanted to kill Yennefer.
While the Djinn was forced to fullfill the wish he decided how to do so. I doubt that Geralt had the time to thoroughly think about his wording in that urgent situation.

And Geralt had to prevent that. Wishing for Yen's love would grant him nothing, the djinn would have killed her anyway.
So he had to do something else - as djinns cannot harm their masters (here: Geralt) only tying fates made sense, because if the djinn had killed Yen - Geralt would have died too - and it can't happen (see above).
That doesn't make any sense. you say a Djinn can't harm his master and that he would have killed Yennefer anyway if Geralt wished that Yen and he would have been tied together by love
Killing a person's loved one is not harming that person? I can't think of a bigger harm, but maybe that's just me.

It's the most common and most logical theory in the witcher fandom, always has been. Also I guess even Dandelion(?) hints on it, he says something like :"If he(Geralt) could just tie fate to the fate..nah, he wouldn't think of it".
Again, I don't deny that their fates are tied together. Im saying that they are bound by love and not by some "we will meet each other over and over again"
And I don't care about what the most common (did you do a survey?) theory is. It's not clear and can be interpreted in different ways, so people should stop pretending that their interpretation is the right one.

So he had to do something else - as djinns cannot harm their masters (here: Geralt) only tying fates made sense, because if the djinn had killed Yen - Geralt would have died too - and it can't happen (see above).

Glad I'm not the only one who came to this conclusion. Yet, this is something true for that moment, since later both of them were on the verge of Death (more Geralt ahem). Let's say that if she did die in that moment their destinies couldn't be linked.

Even if we can never truly know what the djin binding did, my interpretation is that it never created the love between the two. Or at least, that dispelling the wish certainly didn't dispel Geralt feelings for Yennefer. And the confirmation is that Yennefer's feelings for him didn't go away, so why would Geralt's for her?
We are talking about the books and not the games. The games are a whole different matter, because for all the people not telling Yen that Geralt still loves her at the end of the last wish quest, the feelings vanished after the second Djinn dissolved the first Djinn's wish. In the games Geralt's last wish can be about love or not, depending on your choice if you say that you still love Yen or not.
That Yennefer still loves Geralt after the games Djinn dissolved Geralt's last wish is not relevant as she can naturally feel love (she is no witcher) and could have developed feelings in a traditional way after all the years she spent with Geralt.

Last edited:
We are talking about the books and not the games. The games are a whole different matter, because for all the people not telling Yen that Geralt still loves her at the end of the last wish quest, the feelings vanished after the second Djinn dissolved the first Djinn's wish. In the games Geralt's last wish can be about love or not, depending on your choice if you say that you still love Yen or not.
That Yennefer still loves Geralt after the games Djinn dissolved Geralt's last wish is not relevant as she can naturally feel love (she is no witcher) and could have developed feeling in traditional way after all the years she spent with Geralt.

I disagree.

My interpretation is after the wish is broken nothing changes for Geralt or his feelings for Yennefer, he is lying to her because he either wants to be with Triss or wants to be alone. Break ups are never easy, especially in a story like theirs and Geralt (if the player chooses to) just saw the wish being broken as a perfect place for it. (highly debatable, imo Yen and their relationship deserved better than that)

Tbh I see the wish more as crutch that made these two emotionally damaged people be drawn together until they developed true feelings for one another. At that point the wish wasn't needed anymore.

I disagree.

My interpretation is after the wish is broken nothing changes for Geralt or his feelings for Yennefer, he is lying to her because he either wants to be with Triss or wants to be alone. Break ups are never easy, especially in a story like theirs and Geralt (if the player chooses to) just saw the wish being broken as a perfect place for it. (highly debatable, imo Yen and their relationship deserved better than that)

Tbh I see the wish more as crutch that made these two emotionally damaged people be drawn together until they developed true feelings for one another. At that point the wish wasn't needed anymore.

If his feelings towards Yen didn't change and he still loves her, why would he lie to her to be together with Triss or alone?

My stash of pop-corn is almost depleted, I'll add few words.

Yen has become a turning point, the new axis of Geralt's life. There weren't any noticeable women in his past, which were worth to ever be remembered and mentioned (BTW, there was described only one brief intercourse with Renfri from the times before Yen). If Geralt would met Essi, Fringie, Lytta, Triss, etc. few years before, his life, his attitude and opinions could evolve in entirely different way in next twenty years.

But then he get caught and trapped, mostly by himself, without realising about it. Few bursts of unconscious, spontaneous, but full-hearted decisions (do you recognise yourself at age of 14 in that? I do :D) lead him to The Wish. To call it "love" or "amorousness" is a question of terminology which was not important at that moment; but perceive it just like superficial curiosity or extreme dedication to heroism is an insult to Sapkowski :)

He started to became aware of importance of that moment right away, literally after their first kiss (I haven't copy of first two books in English, so I'll leave it without citations). They've made huge, childish mistake by trying to begin live together since that moment. Too soon for domestic life, too bright personality of Yen to reflect it in mind in soul. Transformation of Geralt's character took some time, with some external and internal friction ('A Little Dedication'), but eventually vague images and thoughts was formed into words. He's already distanced far away from the guy which he was a few years before that.

The actual moment of clarity when Geralt's feelings shaped into something tangible is a ''Shard of Ice", his conversations with Istredd, to be specific. That kind of rivalry and disputes always has a clarifying effect on thoughts (this forum is an example :)). That has touched each of them (Geralt, Yen, Istredd) and not making anyone happier. That's where their love kicks in, despite the castrated sense of empathy in both of them, which is way more hard to develop - it's not destructing them ('toxic relationships' (c)), but rather motivating for seeking new purposes in life.

------------------------------

What's the point of the text above?

Point is - Yen rocked his world and himself, and took all volume inside of him, like a gas. That's something that can't be cured even by amnesia. She is just a part of Geralt. BTW, I didn't even mentioned Ciri here, 'cause it's too late and I'm too lazy to write :)

My only suggestion to other sorceresses is to find others emotionally-adolescent witchers (kudos to Keira, she's a wise woman) :)

It is clear you don't like Triss that much, but mind citing examples of this?

So other than he loved her in the books (which is true, none can argue that point). there is really no reason for Geralt to choose Yennefer over Triss.

Unless you count outside of the story and characters reasons, like try to keep continuity with the books.

Mind you this is not I like the character or not, I like Yen too, as a character, but for Geralt, Triss is the obvious choice.

Is love some kind of contract that is done on pros and cons? Matrices with some functions here and there, or even a simple plus and minus game? Pure math and not even of the GOOD kind of math (the one that makes people like me aroused just by thinking about it :p ... ok that was unneded info....).

That is not how love or relationships work in my world. At all. It is degrading to the meaning of the word...

If his feelings towards Yen didn't change and he still loves her, why would he lie to her to be together with Triss or alone?

Because Love, unfortunately, isn't everything that makes a couple work.

As to the choices, those are up to the player. He can make Geralt decide, since he also loves Triss, that he wants to be with her more. Or because he'd had it with sorceress in general, now Geralt deserves some peace and quiet for a change (or look for shani or other LI)

Because Love, unfortunately, isn't everything that makes a couple work.

As to the choices, those are up to the player. He can make Geralt decide, since he also loves Triss, that he wants to be with her more. Or because he'd had it with sorceress in general, now Geralt deserves some peace and quiet for a change (or look for shani or other LI)
That's a interesting interpretation. I don't agree but I won't say that my interpretation of that scene is better than yours. Too many people in this thread are doing this.

kojac1984 said:
For me Geralt already get naked in bed with sex sign, it's kind of force.

It may even not impose much more than a well of heavy direction, yes.

Replying to this here, since it seems like a more appropriate place to discuss it -- Triss was asleep, Geralt was the one who woke her up by caressing her. People seem to keep forgetting the purpose of the amnesia (Which was giving Geralt a different point of view on everything) including his love-interest.

I recall exactly what happened in TW1 as well -- Triss tried to tell him about the events of The Last Wish, Geralt stopped her and told her that he wasn't ready to hear about the past yet. When he asked her to tell him in TW2, she did without leaving any details, she even told him about Ciri.

We have a saying in my country --Cavallo che corre non ha bisogno di sproni - "Do not spur the willing horse"

Lore-rape and poorly expressed interpretation that wasn't based on any facts but forgetting certain events which took place in the games doesn't make those interpretations correct.

---------- Updated at 12:19 AM ----------

Wasaabii28 said:
While all this is true, you missed the crucial part - what the fuck is Triss doing in that tent? Filth She shouldn't be there
in the first place if you didn't romance her in TW1 etc. It's not even the romance that is forced, it's her dirty pressence.

Would you rather it would've been in another tent with Shani somewhere in a village where he could've spent the rest of his life there without regaining his memory living happily ever after with her?

Artistic integrity choices doesn't need discussions or explanations, not unless you really have a deep hatred to the character who was involved in those events.

Last edited:
Replying to this here, since it seems like a more appropriate place to discuss it -- Triss was asleep, Geralt was the one who woke her up by caressing her. People seem to keep forgetting the purpose of the amnesia (Which was giving Geralt a different point of view on everything) including his love-interest.

I recall exactly what happened in TW1 as well -- Triss tried to tell him about the events of The Last Wish, Geralt stopped her and told her that he wasn't ready to hear about the past yet. When he asked her to tell him in TW2, she did without leaving any details, she even told him about Ciri.

We have a saying in my country --Cavallo che corre non ha bisogno di sproni - "Do not spur the willing horse"

Lore-rape and poorly expressed interpretation that wasn't based on any facts but forgetting certain events which took place in the games doesn't make those interpretations correct.
Fact is, that Shani incident happened in this case. I romanced both Shani and Triss in W1, and decided to go with Shani as canon (but I know it is a poor choice). What happened next? Triss in Geralt's tent. I wasn't much annoyed because I chose both but went with my Shani savegame...and that happened. That's the meaning of forced.

Well, nevermind...someone can live with that.

Some also would say that Triss incident happened in W3, but: it was a dream, we knew that Yen is his love interest, but yeah some people might see it as another incident.

Last edited:
Would you rather it would've been in another tent with Shani somewhere in a village where he could've spent the rest of his life there without regaining his memory living happily ever after with her?

Artistic integrity choices doesn't need discussions or explanations, not unless you really have a deep hatred to the character who was involved in those events.

Nah I love like Triss. You know what bothers me though? Her annoying fans who will try to justify everything and apply double standards everywhere. No thank you. I mean seriously just read last 10-20 pages in this thread. It's disgusting.

Yeah exactly. Triss is basically like Yennefer's daughter, it's all one big fucked up Game of Thrones Lannister story.

Ciri: sexually abused and tortured suicidal daughter who hates her life
Triss: sexually underdeveloped and insecure daughter, starving for some daddy action
Yennefer: perverted freak mother, tries to prevent incest between her husband and her daughter Triss
Geralt: perverted freak father, has sex with everyone who says yes, including his own daughter Triss

No, I'd rather to stick to the lore and the books and refer to their relationship as Andrzej Sapkowski did. Triss and Yennefer were close friends, you could say sisters even -- but Triss never saw Yennefer as a mother.

No, I'd rather to stick to the lore and the books and refer to their relationship as Andrzej Sapkowski did. Triss and Yennefer were close friends, you could say sisters even -- but Triss never saw Yennefer as a mother.

That was a sarcastic post but yeah. Take it seriously and defend Triss. Please tell me you're trolling me man... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom