Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here is the opposite as you can't soften the word "ugly" in English
I like how it was handled in russian, Yen called Ciri "duckling", because she was thin, gawky teenager. I think that is cute. From polish version I understand, that "brzydulka" translates like "страшнулечка" or "страшненькая". In Slavic languages there is two words describing "ugly' - the one is offensive in russian it is "уродливый", the other is softer version - "страшный". Many Slavic people use it like a tender name for animals of children, especially babies it is not offensive at all.

Man, I honestly advice you, if you don''t mind of course, to transmit this opinions of yours to CDPR writers. Maybe you could help the community to improve the game. Really. Not kidding at all.

No. Because the things he said cannot be draw from the game, this is not an impression you get (even if you didn't know about Yen before) at all - it's a pure biased bullsh*t. Yen's motivations, for example, are constantly repeated during the game and in her conversations with Geralt. Just because some people decide to be deaf and blind to certain things, it doesn't mean they're not there.

Last edited:
As far as I've noticed ALL characters wear the same clothes ALWAYS except Geralt....

And. DLC's options. *cough*

Or dammit! I'm bad... I use always the same perfume! Cursed Saint Laurent!!!!

I like how it was handled in russian, Yen called Ciri "duckling", because she was thin, gawky teenager. I think that is cute. From polish version I understand, that "brzydulka" translates like "страшнулечка" or "страшненькая". In Slavic languages there is two words describing "ugly' - the one is offensive in russian it is "уродливый", the other is softer version - "страшный". Many Slavic people use it like a tender name for animals of children, especially babies it is not offensive at all.
Nice to see here a fellow countryman.

One of my friends that never played any witcher game nor read any of the books actually went with Yen exactly BECAUSE how fun she was. The opposite of boring.

That was his reasoning.

---------- Updated at 05:14 PM ----------

Sorry, just not my thing, I prefer reading other stuff and playing video games.

What other stuff is there to be read mate :O ?!??

Is it genre-specific? But then you would not play Witcher, it is fantasy too.

In RL you decide how react and how control your emotions. Human brain allow you t choice. Freedom is not let your emotions win but how win without denying your emotions

I come from the "you don't actually have free will in life" camp, interesting discussion but not in here.

No. Because the things he said cannot be draw from the game, this is not an impression you get (even if you didn't know about Yen before) at all - it's a pure biased bullsh*t. Yen's motivations, for example, are constantly repeated during the game and in her conversations with Geralt. Just because some people decide to be deaf and blind to certain things, it doesn't mean they're not there.

Specially, because of how confuse is the Yen's introduction. But I'm repeating myself :)

Ok, how about this; I do not like her at all.

I don't read the books, my opinions come from the 3 games.

You know, you are almost the prime example of my fears i had before Witcher 3.

While i can't change your opinion with few simple sentences, why don't you check out the very first page of this thread.

I compiled a lot of comments by various people, bookreaders, non-bookreaders and so on. Maybe this will show you another point of view about Yennefer and maybe you will start to understand her motiviations and behaviour much more after that.

Specially, because of how confuse is the Yen's introduction. But I'm repeating myself :)

I think her introduction was pretty fine, nothing odd about it at all.
The problem is that many people want to get through dialogues as fast as possible instead of "digging" into them (just like me). And the consequences of it are presented with Yen, for example. You can ask her about many things, and the more you ask her the more you know. For example during her first conversation with Geralt about Ciri's whereabouts or after the Last Wish quest (nice conversation about The Wild Hunt and amnesia)

Triss was that character for me in the first game, I never trusted her, never liked her on the first game. She was more palatable in TW2, but the damage was already done.

Yennefer, on the other hand, never lied to me in game.

Interesting, yes I shared those sentiments as I initially preferred Shani as I remember. Still, Triss stuck with you to the bitter end, you have to respect that. Still dislike Yen no matter how much I try.

S T A P I T

We have a great opening post by @Kallelinski. If someone can't read or doesn't want to read - it's pointless to spoon-feed the truth about Yennefer.

Catch is right as always.

You know, you are almost the prime example of my fears i had before Witcher 3.

While i can't change your opinion with few simple sentences, why don't you check out the very first page of this thread.

I compiled a lot of comments by various people, bookreaders, non-bookreaders and so on. Maybe this will show you another point of view about Yennefer and maybe you will start to understand her motiviations and behaviour much more after that.

It doesn't work when people have any curiosity or interest about it. He's free to think what he wants.

I'm sorry If i get you wrong, but as far as I remember the russian equivalent of word ugly which was used in books is "гадкий", since the russian name of Andersen's fairy tale is "Гадкий утёнок" (The Ugly Duckling).^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom