Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

+
It was still cruel and mean, you literally can see the moment Geralt's heart breaks. People like to say that there are strong suggestions (in "The Last Wish") that he cheated on her while they were living in Vergerberg, read the book again in the last few days: Didn't find even the slightest trace of that, all the times he slept with someone else, was after a big break-up, and even after the stunt she pulled in Aedd Gynvael, he felt bad for sleeping with Essi and Fringilla was not his fault, he didn't know Yennefer was innocent and were being torture, besides, he left Fringilla in the moment he discovered that. And before someone ask: No I didn't switch sides, I still dislike Triss for everything she did, specially seducing Geralt with magic and complicating his relationship with Yennefer, besides, she cheated on Geralt with Lambert in the first game, to me, Triss is even worse. One more thing: I'm not so sure she went there to dump the mage since the beggining, because when she talks to Geralt she says he is "very dear" to her. But you are polish, and read the original book, I read the english one, so I might have missed something.

I agree with you. It WAS cruel. It WAS bad. I rather disliked Yennefer for doing that...but that's what makes this story interesting, right? All these people act very human and make a lot of mistakes..
And as for breaking up with Istredd thing - I concluded it from the fact that when they arrived with Geralt to AG, she already had one kestrel prepared (for Istredd). Geralt's one came later, in the last moment. So initially she just wanted to leave Istredd.

But what I liked(?) about this story, was Yennefer's honesty in the end. She didn't try to make excuses for herself, apologize and all that bullshit. She laid all her cards in the table, admitted why she did it etc.

---------- Updated at 08:14 PM ----------

I don't think she wanted Geralt to tell her that he loves her at this point

She totes did.

Now you will answer my question.The question that I've never asked.That which I was afraid to ask..I'm also not going to ask it today, but please answer it. Because...I really wish to hear your reply. It's the one thing, the one word you have never said. Say it ,Geralt. Please.

Guest 3847602

She totes did.

Now you will answer my question.The question that I've never asked.That which I was afraid to ask..I'm also not going to ask it today, but please answer it. Because...I really wish to hear your reply. It's the one thing, the one word you have never said. Say it ,Geralt. Please.

Well, yes, but this just shows what a mess (emotionally) she is at this point. Yennefer says that, and in the very same conversation she tells him latter that she is afraid of hearing his answer, anyway ;) That is the lowest point of their relationship, imo, neither of them knows is there any point of staying together.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you. It WAS cruel. It WAS bad. I rather disliked Yennefer for doing that...but that's what makes this story interesting, right? All these people act very human and make a lot of mistakes..
And as for breaking up with Istredd thing - I concluded it from the fact that when they arrived with Geralt to AG, she already had one kestrel prepared (for Istredd). Geralt's one came later, in the last moment. So initially she just wanted to leave Istredd.

But what I liked(?) about this story, was Yennefer's honesty in the end. She didn't try to make excuses for herself, apologize and all that bullshit. She laid all her cards in the table, admitted why she did it etc.

---------- Updated at 08:14 PM ----------

She totes did.

I also liked her honesty, it was the LEAST she could have done for him. What pissed me off was the fact that she wanted Geralt to tell her that he loved her, but when he asked the same question, BEFORE she did, she just simply gives him a cold "I don't know", I get that she didn't have the most happy childhood and adult life, but at least she wasn't a mutated witcher created to slay monsters and die in the hands of a monster that was quicker, besides, I don't see Geralt as a bad guy for what he did in Vengerberg anymore, he tried at least, tried to live in a city for 6 months, even tho he hated towns, he did that for her and what did she do to him after he begged for pardon? Boom, Aedd Gynvael. And the fact that she keeps bringing that he slept with Triss... at least he didn't drag Yennefer along to plough Triss and her at the same time. Geralt tried to suicide because of her in Aedd Gynvael, he asked Death to take him because he thought Yennefer was dead, even tho he didn't even know if she was actually dead, she means THAT much to him, but the question I can't answer is: What does he means to her?

Guest 3847602

she means THAT much to him, but the question I can't answer is: What does he means to her?

In Shard of Ice, even she doesn't know for sure, latter - everything ;)

‘I will leave you the information’, Yennefer said slowly. ‘I'll leave you the information on what
I've found and what I plan. I’ll leave a trail you can follow to her. But not in vain. If you will not
facilitate my exoneration in the eyes of the world, then to hell with you and with the world. But at
least grant me exoneration in the eyes of the witcher.’

‘No,’ Philippa denied the request almost instantly. ‘That is also not in the interest of the Lodge.
You will also remain a traitor and a mercenary sorceress to your witcher. It is not in the interest of
the Lodge for him to furiously attempt to avenge you. If he despises you, he will not attempt to take
revenge. By the way, he's probably already dead or will die any day now.’
‘The information’ Yennefer said dully, ‘for his life. Save him, Philippa.’
‘No, Yennefer.’

Geralt continued to stir, coughing blood, then becoming very tense and froze. Dandelion, still
holding Triss, sighed in despair, the dwarf cursed. Yennefer moaned, her face changing suddenly,
contracted and ugly.
'There is nothing more pathetic,' said Ciri sternly, 'than a sorceress in tears. You taught me that. But
now you're pathetic Yennefer. You and your magic, which is useless.'
Yennefer did not reply. She could barely hold Geralt's head in both of her hands, while repeating a
spell. In her hands, the witcher's cheeks and forehead crackled with blue sparks.
Triss know how much energy was required for that spell. She also knew that the spell would not
help. She was even more confident that the spell would prove powerless for someone who was
sterile. It was too late. The spell only exhausted Yennefer. Triss was surprised that the black-haired
sorceress was able to withstand for so long.
Then she ceased to be surprised because Yennefer stopped in the middle of the magic formula and
fell on the pavement next to the witcher.

I get that she didn't have the most happy childhood and adult life, but at least she wasn't a mutated witcher created to slay monsters

I don't think there should be a competition between them as to which one of them had worse childhood.

BEFORE she did, she just simply gives him a cold "I don't know"

Yes and she admits that it's a shitty answer. To the same question Geralt says that he can't answer because he's a mutant devoid of emotion (which is bullshit)

I don't see Geralt as a bad guy for what he did in Vengerberg anymore, he tried at least, tried to live in a city for 6 months, even tho he hated towns, he did that for her and what did she do to him after he begged for pardon

Yes he tried. But then left without saying a word, it's not fair. Yennefer deserved honesty - at least. And then he sees her, like 3 or 4 years later and expects everything to be fine and dandy between them, like nothing ever happened.

What does he means to her?

I think later books answer this question just fine.

What does he means to her?

I won't stand in your way, Yen.

Her head jerked up and her violet eyes shone with pale fire.

In my way? Don't you understand anything, you idiot?
If you were in my way, just a hindrance, I could be rid of you in the blink of an eye.
Teleport you to the end of Cape Bremervoor or create a tornado to transport you to the country of Hanna.
With a little effort, I could turn you into a piece of quartz and put you in my garden, in the flowerbed with the peonies.
I could brainwash you so that you would forget who I am and what my name is.
This would be the ideal solution, because then I could simply say: 'It was fun, bye.'
I could walk away quietly, just like you did when you ran away from my house in Vengerberg.

Judging by Yennefer's reaction, what do you think Geralt meant to her at that point?
We all tend to overreact when it comes to people we deeply care about, don't we? :}

Last edited:
I don't think there should be a competition between them as to which one of them had worse childhood.

Yes and she admits that it's a shitty answer. To the same question Geralt says that he can't answer because he's a mutant devoid of emotion (which is bullshit)

Yes he tried. But then left without saying a word, it's not fair. Yennefer deserved honesty - at least. And then he sees her, like 3 or 4 years later and expects everything to be fine and dandy between them, like nothing ever happened.

I think later books answer this question just fine.

Another question I have is: Did she know that the "lack of emotions" was bullshit from the start? Or did she found out in the middle of the conversation? I remember she explodes when he calls himself a mutant, but the line were she actually talks about it confuses me. Besides, why did she leave both if she said herself that she was thinking about the mages proposal? When did she realized that she didn't want to be with him? Did she really leave Geralt because he could say that he loved her, or there was something else?

Sorry for questioning so much, but I NEED to understand exaclty what happened there. It's eating me for months now and I just can't take it off of my head, there's too much I still don't understand.

Well, at least Geralt wasn't a hunchback, abused by his own parents. I'd say their childhoods were equally terrible.

Well, Geralt at least had people who really cared for him - Nenneke and Vesemir, parental figures. Whom Yennefer had ? No one. I don't count Tissaia because I don't think it can be comaparable.

Well, Geralt at least had people who really cared for him - Nenneke and Vesemir, parental figures. Whom Yennefer had ? No one. I don't count Tissaia because I don't think it can be comaparable.

I always thought that Tissaia de Vries tried to make Yennefer her master copy, and she succeded in a way. I always liked to say that people look at Yennefer and see Tissaia (the anger, bitterness, coldness) and Geralt and Ciri actually see Yennefer (softness, sweetness, warmth)

Did she know that the "lack of emotions" was bullshit from the start?

I think she did because well...she experienced those emotions of his, on herself ^^ And she can read his mind. And she hates this word - 'mutant'.

Besides, why did she leave both if she said herself that she was thinking about the mages proposal? When did she realized that she didn't want to be with him?

Istredd - because she didn't love him, simple. Geralt - more complicated reasons...connected more to her issues than his own, imo. She's not sure about her own feelings, whether she can love at all, she even calls herself an "Ice Queen". And Geralt's insecurity is not helping - so there is only one 'good' choice - leave them both.

I think she did because well...she experienced those emotions of his, on herself ^^ And she can read his mind. And she hates this word - 'mutant'.

Istredd - because she didn't love him, simple. Geralt - more complicated reasons...connected more to her issues than his own, imo. She's not sure about her own feelings, whether she can love at all, she even calls herself an "Ice Queen". And Geralt's insecurity is not helping - so there is only one 'good' choice - leave them both.

I always had the banquet on Thanedd in mind, where she tells him that he said "I love you" many times, but until that moment, only in his thoughts. That is the reason why I also believed she already knew the "Lack of emotions" was bullshit in Aedd Gynvael.

She was the master of "the less emotions, the better" trope. She taught Yennefer that. So...yeah. Good at teaching magic skills but actual love and care? Nope. Still it's a bit poetic that
she died in the exact same way Yennefer was attempting to all those years ago.
Whoa, thanks for making me notice this... Didn't make the connection... till now.

Top Bottom