Questions about license and technical aspects

+

fdslk

Forum regular
Questions about license and technical aspects

Hello there, I'm a modder, 3D freelance modeler and some other stuff. I saw the launch today of RedKit and the media and official announcements confused me. And some info wasn't to be found even in the wiki.

1. Is this the Witcher 2 engine similar to Djinni or just an editor similar to Dunia/The Elder Scrolls Construction Kit;
  2. What about the license?
  3. Can the engine be used for indie games or total conversions?
  4. Can it be purchased? What kind of license it is?
  5. What third-party software is included? Like FaceFX, SpeedTree, etc.
  6. What extensions does it handles for art assets and scripting? What language?
  7. Can it import custom meshes? Including skeletal?
  8. If so, in what extensions? .obj, .fbx, etc. If custom extension, which software will it handle the plugin? Will there be a plugin?

I have more technical and legal questions at hand, but I think these are already too much, thank you for time! And of course, thank you for the RedKit, The Witcher and everything else :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 50
1. The engine is more similar to UDK and Cryengine. Takes the best bits from both. If you've messed with any of those, then you should find it pretty easy to get started.
2. Haven't heard anything about licensing, guess it's early yet. For now it's just for modding The Witcher 2.
3. See 2.
4. See 2
5. Third party software normally have there own licenses so think you'd need to invest in those separately.
6. It reads .re file format for static meshes which seems to be CDP:R own proprietary format. For animated meshes it seems to use .hkx which seems to point to Havok. .nif seems also to be supported which is a Gamebyro format.
7. At the minute I think only static meshes are supported.
8. The plugins come with the RedKit, but only support 3ds Max 2009 and 2013. I'm hoping for a .fbx solution myself, I know 3ds Max is very popular, but it's limiting when compared to something like .fbx or collada.

fdslk

Forum regular
1. The engine is more similar to UDK and Cryengine. Takes the best bits from both. If you've messed with any of those, then you should find it pretty easy to get started.
2. Haven't heard anything about licensing, guess it's early yet. For now it's just for modding The Witcher 2.
3. See 2.
4. See 2
5. Third party software normally have there own licenses so think you'd need to invest in those separately.
6. It reads .re file format for static meshes which seems to be CDP:R own proprietary format. For animated meshes it seems to use .hkx which seems to point to Havok. .nif seems also to be supported which is a Gamebyro format.
7. At the minute I think only static meshes are supported.
8. The plugins come with the RedKit, but only support 3ds Max 2009 and 2013. I'm hoping for a .fbx solution myself, I know 3ds Max is very popular, but it's limiting when compared to something like .fbx or collada.

Thank you, I was expecting an official input tho' yet... Woah, three extensions for three different things? .fbx would really come in handy.

Yeah I would think about emailing them directly if your looking into licensing the engine.

On the model format topic, theres quite a few other extensions listed, but none that I've used or seen before. It's worth download the RedKit and checking it out.

fdslk

Forum regular
Yeah I would think about emailing them directly if your looking into licensing the engine.

On the model format topic, theres quite a few other extensions listed, but none that I've used or seen before. It's worth download the RedKit and checking it out.

I sent them an e-mail, yet, I think this topic could be useful for other users with this kind of queries.

They have published their roadmap and will license the REDkit commercially starting from 2016.

For now it's the "maturation phase".

Hi every one! I am not very good in RED Kit, and I wonder where I can read about the usage of it:confused::confused::confused:;)

Top Bottom