10 - 15 % less framerate since patch 1.04

+
10 - 15 % less framerate since patch 1.04

It's a good thing to see that developers are working hard but something is wrong with this last patch for me.

The patch should improve performance but it's the exact opposite effect for me, I've about 10 - 15% fps less in same test areas.

All settings are on ultra exept hairworks off.

Specs :
Windows 7 64 bits up to date on SSD
core i5 760 @ 3.3 Ghz
GTX 970 stock OC
lastest Nvidia drivers
game install on side HDD

---------- Updated at 08:22 PM ----------

Edit : The VRAM load has decrease in the same time, it's weird : only 1300 MB load before (it was already very low for a such game) and 1100 now in my testing area (path after the intro training to join the first village)

Yes,and for me,i noticed that fps drop in same area before was 60 now is 52,when come dark it s roughly worse!!

btw evga gtx 980 sc,..crashing issues are now even worse!!!

Not that big, but there is definitely some low performance since 1.04 patch. CDPR, please check the issue.

And there's so much more aliasing in the same time. They seem on rush and totaly lost : /

Edit : Have you a lot of judder effect under 60 fps too? (I experiment this since the begining of the game)

Last edited:
Yes. Losing performance here, too. 10-15%. And my processor now firing up to 84C (before was 60-67C). After 60+ hours of game - 0 crashes. After 1.04 - 2 crashes along 4 hours...

Not only is the performance worse, but the pop-in is worse now as well.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/613958868371199845

So now I get well below 60fps in places I used to get 60fps in AND there's more pop-in than before.
The minmap bias tweak they did increased some foliage quality but also introduced texture shimmering for a large majority of textures in the game.

What the hell happened with this patch? Was testing not done?

I have actually experienced the opposite with patch 1.04; an increase in FPS across the board with fewer drops and less stutter. No crashes so far.
Specs:
Win7 64bit; 16gb
i5 3570k @ 4.3 ghz
gtx 980 @ 1492 mhz
install on ssd
latest nvidia driver
Gog version
Ultra settings w/ foliage range and shadows on high

Last edited:
I am noticing smoother gameplay overall on my end, the only problem i encountered(i didn't try to recreate) when i closed the game i was seeing the desktop but the game didn't close and i had to restart. Gigabyte 980 here 2500k i5 8gb ram ddr3

Didn't you read the patch notes?
They improved the texture quality on high / ultra settings overall and you're wondering why your performance drops?
Read, then write. Thanks.

They improved the texture quality on high / ultra settings overall and you're wondering why your performance drops?

I also read "Includes a series of overall stability and performance improvements".

Thank you for coming champion :cheers2:

Last edited:
For me, these new fps drops are tied to shadow quality.

Like most people with a 970, I'd been running everything on ultra with foliage and shadows on high, hairworks off, for a stable 60fps. Now, in heavily forested areas, fps drops into the high 40s.

Turn shadows down to medium and I have my 60fps back. I wonder what has changed here?

I noticed the same thing after the 1.04 patch.

When I checked my video settings I saw that they were set to 'Windowed Full Screen' instead of 'Full Screen'.

Reverting to Full Screen fixed this for me. Hope it helps.

Isnt only that, because i changed the textures to medium and i have less FPS in 1.04 (around 33 and i was around 45)

They did something more changes like increase the amount of grass in ultra?

Do you know how can i revert to 1.03 without reinstall the game?

For me, these new fps drops are tied to shadow quality.

Like most people with a 970, I'd been running everything on ultra with foliage and shadows on high, hairworks off, for a stable 60fps. Now, in heavily forested areas, fps drops into the high 40s.

Turn shadows down to medium and I have my 60fps back. I wonder what has changed here?

Well heck.

I've edited my user.settings to remove the -1 mipmap bias (see the Geforce guide- it's been updated with new setting) and set it back to the 1.03 value of 0.

Gain: 3-4 fps. Lose: any improvements from mipmaps at -1, obviously. They seem to be negligible.

I'd also forced AF at high quality through the Nvidia Control Panel. I've now turned that off.

Gain: 4-5fps. Loss: haven't tested, but assume slightly muddier distant detail. Will see.

Combined effect: 60fps back, with no need to drop shadows to medium.

Shrug. Works for me for now.

Hey guys another improvement:

TURN OFF SHARPEN TO LOW! I dont know why in 1.04 if i set it to medium or high my games lags a lot, and in low it runs close to 1.03. Please test it and report. Im going to test your tweaks bukeagle, i will report later thanks!

Thank you very very much with mipmap thing! it was very helpful! I've returned to my stable 30fps with all ultra, hair off and grass LoD high on GTX770. With that mipmap -1 textures was extrimily ugly!

UPDATE: ...This mipmap helped only for the first launch. Then all back to "ugly" and "-fps" mode even with "Read only" on user.settings... I want 1.03 back... I want finish the game in comfort! Then do with game whatever you want, CDPR, please!

Last edited:
Same here. Earlier today on 1.03 (and since launch) my 970 was getting a completely stable 60 fps in the market in Novigrad. It would drop to like 58 when I first loaded into the area but only for a split second. Now if I look around it's around 50-52 FPS, AND my temperatures are 5-10 degrees hotter. Is there anyway to roll back to 1.03???

Top Bottom