A good reminder for CDPR how to make a CRPG

+
But... For an AAS, it's alright for that.
Sadly, no, it's not even that, since GTA, Assassins Creed and Red Dead Redemption exist in that genre, and all of those series' have more or less recent entries that do most if not all the open world AAS stuff better then CP... so if anything, it's not only not a RPG, it's also a middling to sub par open world action adventure.

Neither is Planescape: Torment.
Do your self a favour and just google CRPG and see what king of RPG games come up, or even check the steam category, before you make silly claims... A CRPG are games like POE2, Planescape, Divinity Original Sin, Wastlanders 3... etc, still not seeing a pattern here?

Do your self a favour and just google CRPG and see what king of RPG games come up, before you make silly claims... A CRPG are games like POE2, Planescape, Divinity Original Sin, Wastlanders 3... etc, still not seeing a pattern here?
All of them are isometric games? So this is what makes a CRPG now?

CRPG is a computer role-playing game. Perspective has nothing to do with anything.
I agree with you, it's strange because the definition is so general, but it's ending up being a category of games that we are describing here (isometric, infinity engine like games) and the market organises the games by this definition, i suppose isometric games are a really good match for true in-depth RPG mechanics?

Well, at least TW3 is ARPG, but CP77 isn't any kind of RPG whatsoever.

And just a nitpick, that Icewind Dale series are not in the same class as the other games on your list. IwD are mediocre games and not a reference of how to make great games.

You could argue that TW3 is not an ARPG.

Diablo 1,2,3, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Van Helsing to name a few are ARPG's. Some argue that Dark Souls series is not rpg.

In Cyberpunk you play V's story. In Skyrim you are the dragonborn, in Deus Ex HD and MR you are Adam Jensen so on that premise they are also not RPG's.

Icewind Dale are in your opinion mediorce games, in my opinion they are very good games.

DoS series are not isometric, they are top down view but in full 3D. DA: Origin is also CRPG.
It's still top down view and pretty much click and point to move your character and interact with the world, i'd argue it's still isometric but its nice to have the 3D touch
Post automatically merged:

DoS series are not isometric, they are top down view but in full 3D. DA: Origin is also CRPG.
Did you just say Skyrim wasn't an RPG lol?

The Witcher 3, hell even the whole series is no more or less of an RPG than Cyberpunk 2077, they are structurally the same.

I don't know how people can't see this, going 'oh cyberpunk had no choices compared to the Witcher 3' a game whose story is one straight line and the only difference to the end result is if you played snowball with Ciri.

Here, let's play a game of Cyberpunk 2077 or Witcher 3.

On rails narrative where the ending is decided by one or two decisions.

Game where you can romance one of two characters and that outcome can affect the end scene.

Side quests tied into but not affecting the story, some with multiple outcomes, some not.

Simple skill tree with s points system every time you level up.

Multiple bizarre glitches at launch.

Which game am I describing for each one? Ah hell I'll tell you straight up, it's both. CD Projekt Red have been copying the same structural template from the beginning. They never made RPGs, you could argue they are action RPGs but that includes cyberpunk 2077

The name CRPG it's just a term for RPG playing on a computer game. The view is no matter i think if it's a fps aka Elders scrolls or isometric aka BG. CRPGs ( i saying this way ok cuz' it's a computer game) for me if i can choose what kind of character i would play. A thief stealing all the stuffs and hiding from the law or an evil assassin how killing people for the money and deal with contracts. Most in the crpg game you have some impact for the environment or for the world around you in big ways. But in cyberpunk2077 i can't play a corpo make deals or hire a solo or crash other companies. You can make a cyberpunk game for pc game but cyberpunk is unique among the other Rpgs. You not clearing dungeons or save the princess you are not bad or good. Playing as corpo gives you another playstyle as a solo or a media or nomad. And CDPR faild here! This game is just a generic looter-shooter ( if your save is not 8MB) with a short action story aka Call of duty.

Last edited:
I don't know how people can't see this, going 'oh cyberpunk had no choices compared to the Witcher 3' a game whose story is one straight line

Can't you see the difference? Yes, the plot remains the same in both cases, but in the first case the player's decisions are important, in the second they are not.

and P.S.:

The "life paths" :) image that if you are choosing a Mage but after the prologue the game saying that: "sorry boy you are a Warrior now" WTF? Why then is this matter at all?

So why have leveling systems? Why have everything an RPG has?

Who knows. Tomorrow it might be listed as a Fast Paced High Octane Interactive Novel.

So why have leveling systems? Why have everything an RPG has?

Who knows. Tomorrow it might be listed as a Fast Paced High Octane Interactive Novel.
Marketing, that's why... just as the useless choice of genitals or the inclusion of a major Hollywood star. Seriously, they could have done ANYTHING with this IP, so much potential, and what did they do? The bare minimum... in any direction other then marketability... good job.

Top Bottom