About the Conjunction of the Spheres and all the silver and monster things. Lore questions.

+
About the Conjunction of the Spheres and all the silver and monster things. Lore questions.

So, im a little bit confused here. So, we got that the Witcher World was inhabitated by Gnomes and Dwarfs, then Aen Elle's came and became Aen Seidhe, then the conjunction of the spheres happened, a cataclism that looks like a multiverse thing that made possible travelling between worlds, and then the magic world came across with the Witcher's world, (And im guessing that it happened much before with the Aen Elle's world because they already know some tricks with magic or even before, because i remember from the books that the world of Tir Na Lia was inhabitated by humans that were slaves and the elves conquered their world running from their own, so im guessing that they knew about magic two worlds back)

(I wonder if magic works in all worlds and its something you learn to use from a magical world and then you can use it everywhere, or if it just works in magical worlds.)

So, magic came to the witcher world, and with it beasts and magic, and also humans that apparently came from another world, not the magic one. So now, the theory around the silver thing is that its used for killing beasts borned from the magical world, in the witcher 3 when you face the Wild Hunt you use silver swords, so were the elves born in magic? Then why the regular elves, Aen Seidhe are more sensitive to steel swords?

Also, Zireael (Ciri's sword) kills both types of enemies in the witcher 3, but it is a gwyhyr, a dark IRON sword, so its not effective with monsters, either the wild hunt, but still overpowered.

I Would REALLY REALLY apreciate if a CDProjekt lore expert or someone came over here and explain me all that questions, i would really apreciate that. Or someone who knows about it. Please Im really interested in the lore of these games and books, its very good but still i have questions about it.

In the books the witcher swords are not pure silver but have a steel core with steel edges.

As to why silver swords work against Aen Elle in the games, I guess it's because those elves are from another plane of existence?

In the books the witcher swords are not pure silver but have a steel core with steel edges.

As to why silver swords work against Aen Elle in the games, I guess it's because those elves are from another plane of existence?

Yeah, because they are "aliens" but the Aen Seidhe were aliens also, and the humans, and if you think that as time happens they get resistance to silver, then why monsters even after 1500 years, still havent? Dunno, looks like a big hole here in the Lore.

Yeah, because they are "aliens" but the Aen Seidhe were aliens also, and the humans, and if you think that as time happens they get resistance to silver, then why monsters even after 1500 years, still havent? Dunno, looks like a big hole here in the Lore.

I agree. In the books the steel sword works just fine but I guess in the games they wanted to make the silver swords more than just an occasional thing.

I agree. In the books the steel sword works just fine but I guess in the games they wanted to make the silver swords more than just an occasional thing.

Yeah i think they took the silver thing too far, they are monsters but still creatures with veins, blood, brains and so on. I guess that silver can "burn" them when they get both in touch but a sharp iron sword cutting the shit out of a monster still looks pretty effective. To me, silver makes far more sense when it comes to ghosts, and vampires.

---------- Updated at 12:16 AM ----------

Would be nice if someone from CDProjekt came over here "Blinks one eye". Or do i need to send 2000 bottlecaps to call your attention just like a guy did with Bethesda?
;)

though I am pretty sure the silver is effective only applies to the Creatures that came from the world that was opened during the conjunction and not to every world that is foreign.

Silver isn't effective (or especially so) against vampires.

Recall the dinner in Toussaint where Regis is agreeing with his companion that vampires are critically vulnerable to silver, while happily eating from silverware using silver cutlery...

(Incidentally, apart from some very high resistances and damage pools, most 'monsters' can be taken with a steel sword in W3 (just don't equip a silver one and you'll use what you have (manual unsheathing though)). Annoying that you can't boost damage with oils on "the wrong sword" ~ Ciri does after all when facing the Wolf King.

Was having fun one-shotting Nekkers with a rusty Novigrad Sword...

Just to sum all of this up into a full answer:

So, im a little bit confused here. So, we got that the Witcher World was inhabitated by Gnomes and Dwarfs, then Aen Elle's came and became Aen Seidhe, then the conjunction of the spheres happened, a cataclism that looks like a multiverse thing that made possible travelling between worlds, and then the magic world came across with the Witcher's world...

That's pretty much right so far. Can leave it that way.

So, magic came to the witcher world, and with it beasts and magic, and also humans that apparently came from another world, not the magic one. So now, the theory around the silver thing is that its used for killing beasts borned from the magical world, in the witcher 3 when you face the Wild Hunt you use silver swords, so were the elves born in magic?

Usually the Wild Hunt appears only in the form of an spectral projection, pretty much like an ordinary specter in the game. Those require a silver sword to hit them through the layers of the worlds, kind of the curtain that should seperate the world, but gets very thin on these occasions. What you're doing with Yrden in the game.
At some point in the books Eredin mentions that it requires a huge load of power to fully transit to another world, so they usually only project - actually what was done in the first game. Right now - from a book-lore point of view it would make sense to use the steel sword as the Hunt is in Geralt's world (otherwise, they would simply disappear, no corpses under trees,...)

For the monsters: In the books there are only a few that require silver to kill them, otherwise you can't harm them, usually it's the kind of monster that came from another world an still is tied to it, so the silver is able to cut this connection (kind of). Those monsters are classified a Relicts in the game. And moinsters which are created via magic are only vulnerable to silver, Cursed in the game, the rest - as far as the books are concerned - could be easily killed with a steel sword as well.

Read the latest book? Season of Storms?
Geralt even says that the Witcher sword being any special isn't a real thing, they are only made by master craftsmen, but that's it with the difference to a normal sword.
With certain Oils (which contain magic ingredienst) you even can make steel work agains magic monsters, not as efficiently as silver, but still.
And another remark: the silver ain't actual silver, it's a meteorid-silver, something that's never really explained, but it seems to be something that looks and behaves like silver, but is capable of storing magic energy.

Whilst writing that, I actually would love a book-monster-lore-mod. Only one sword, the other on Roach only for certain monsters, would require som additional research, but why not?

Just to sum all of this up into a full answer:

That's pretty much right so far. Can leave it that way.

Usually the Wild Hunt appears only in the form of an spectral projection, pretty much like an ordinary specter in the game. Those require a silver sword to hit them through the layers of the worlds, kind of the curtain that should seperate the world, but gets very thin on these occasions. What you're doing with Yrden in the game.
At some point in the books Eredin mentions that it requires a huge load of power to fully transit to another world, so they usually only project - actually what was done in the first game. Right now - from a book-lore point of view it would make sense to use the steel sword as the Hunt is in Geralt's world (otherwise, they would simply disappear, no corpses under trees,...)

For the monsters: In the books there are only a few that require silver to kill them, otherwise you can't harm them, usually it's the kind of monster that came from another world an still is tied to it, so the silver is able to cut this connection (kind of). Those monsters are classified a Relicts in the game. And moinsters which are created via magic are only vulnerable to silver, Cursed in the game, the rest - as far as the books are concerned - could be easily killed with a steel sword as well.

Read the latest book? Season of Storms?
Geralt even says that the Witcher sword being any special isn't a real thing, they are only made by master craftsmen, but that's it with the difference to a normal sword.
With certain Oils (which contain magic ingredienst) you even can make steel work agains magic monsters, not as efficiently as silver, but still.
And another remark: the silver ain't actual silver, it's a meteorid-silver, something that's never really explained, but it seems to be something that looks and behaves like silver, but is capable of storing magic energy.

Whilst writing that, I actually would love a book-monster-lore-mod. Only one sword, the other on Roach only for certain monsters, would require som additional research, but why not?

Good explication to all except the thing about the Wild Hunt, for some reason it keeps using the silver sword, but also a moderator told me his version that was that the wild hunt armors were magical and silver could be better. That could explain it all. Still i would love to hear from a CDProjekt man expert in lore what happened, its not a spoiler but could be very cool to understand better the world itself.

---------- Updated at 02:09 PM ----------

Silver isn't effective (or especially so) against vampires.

Recall the dinner in Toussaint where Regis is agreeing with his companion that vampires are critically vulnerable to silver, while happily eating from silverware using silver cutlery...

(Incidentally, apart from some very high resistances and damage pools, most 'monsters' can be taken with a steel sword in W3 (just don't equip a silver one and you'll use what you have (manual unsheathing though)). Annoying that you can't boost damage with oils on "the wrong sword" ~ Ciri does after all when facing the Wolf King.

Was having fun one-shotting Nekkers with a rusty Novigrad Sword...

I know that about Vampires, i just said that in a position of being creating a world like this, the silver thing could fit with vampires and ghosts.

Good explication to all except the thing about the Wild Hunt, for some reason it keeps using the silver sword, but also a moderator told me his version that was that the wild hunt armors were magical and silver could be better. That could explain it all.

Seen that in the other topic. That's a explanation which would persume CDProjekt did that because of lore reasons. But it's way more likely they tagged the Hunt as monsters to avoid constant sword-switching because of the hounds tagging along with them. Would be insanely annoying if they'd gone for book lore and you always had to guess if the Wild Hund warrior in front of you is a spectral projection or he teleported there and stands there in persona

The thing with the vampires is tricky, they are no monsters (at least the Higher Vampires), but inhabitants of another world, you don't use silver agains Aen Sidhe, why should you against Higher Vampires?
Sapkowski's lore is not all consistent, because the books originally were never ment as a huge series, instead it was only short stories, for the same reason some cities switch realms and location. So some things are made up the moment they were needed and thus conflict with the later information when the short stories turned into a saga.

Seen that in the other topic. That's a explanation which would persume CDProjekt did that because of lore reasons. But it's way more likely they tagged the Hunt as monsters to avoid constant sword-switching because of the hounds tagging along with them. Would be insanely annoying if they'd gone for book lore and you always had to guess if the Wild Hund warrior in front of you is a spectral projection or he teleported there and stands there in persona

The thing with the vampires is tricky, they are no monsters (at least the Higher Vampires), but inhabitants of another world, you don't use silver agains Aen Sidhe, why should you against Higher Vampires?
Sapkowski's lore is not all consistent, because the books originally were never ment as a huge series, instead it was only short stories, for the same reason some cities switch realms and location. So some things are made up the moment they were needed and thus conflict with the later information when the short stories turned into a saga.

Yeah you are right. In fact, i would love that mode where it didnt tell you what type of sword you have to use neither their health bar, just lvl. But with a much more balanced thing between silver and iron, maybe that when you hit an enemy with the wrong sword it does 70% of the dmg or no dmg at all if it were a ghost and you used a iron one. Hope any modder will do that.

Top Bottom