Adding "bloom" back into Extended View Distance Mod

+
Adding "bloom" back into Extended View Distance Mod

I recently noticed that the Extended View Distance mod disables/removes bloom during nighttime. It can be seen when casting Igni, there's no bloom on the Igni particles. I'm not sure if that's actually called bloom, but it is what I call it. The "fuzzy" effect around lightsources. Bloom. :D

Disabling the mod obviously enables bloom during nighttime again. However, I'd like to keep the EVD mod. There is a variable in the .env files called m_bloomNew but I don't know if that even controls what I'm talking about.

Any input would be appreciated.

I vaguely remember having to tweak the bloom because of the over exposed fires at night. It might have been fx firelight or something similar in the colors group in each env file.

Sweet, thanks for telling me. I found the differences. skyNight and fxFireLight are different. Probably others as well. I'd just replace the whole "colorGroups" section with vanilla.

So adding in vanilla variables will not look like vanilla, but everything's gonna be overexposed?

I see. Was the overexposure a problem created because of the changes introduced through the EVD mod, or was it just something you disliked already in vanilla?

I ask because I wonder if I can just copy the vanilla variables over for vanilla results.

Gotcha. Thank you. I'll just try replacing it and I'll see what happens.

Your mod transforms the game world into something truly awesome. The fog is just a bit too much for me. If they had increased the distance by like 50% it wouldn't be so bad but as it is now in vanilla, it's jarring. Especially in sunny weathers it looks so weird.

The only con to your mod, if one could even call it that, is the fact that it reveals ugly low-res LODs for buildings, such as in Velen when you ride into Heatherton. The broken tower in the distance... ugh.

Here's hoping the Better LOD mod is ready to go asap! :) Can't wait to use that one.

Huh... I just replaced the colorGroups variable with the vanilla variable and nothing changed that much. I think it's a bit better, but absolutely nowhere near vanilla bloom. In fact I think it's pretty much the same as before.

Any ideas what else could be affecting it? Maybe it's Light Reach or the Fog?

Last edited:
Light reach was done by tweaking the lue to a high number in sunColorCenterArea under globalLight. You can probably also check out flareColorGroups to address fire problem. Not sure if I ever modified it though.

Thanks, I'll try that.
Wish there was a realtime way of tweaking these things. I remember seeing pictures of a mod/program that lets you tweak the .env parameters in-game.

There's also the issue of certain weather conditions being way too dark. For example in Velen when it's very dark and cloudy during the day, the landscape will be drenched in darkness. I don't know if that's because of the lack of fog and that fog actually "lights up" the landscape in certain lighting conditions, or if this is due to other changes the EVD mod introduces.

And the fog? I'd like to experiment with the fog distance but there's quite a few values to tweak. Do you remember which ones control world fog distance and density?

Last edited:
Thanks rfuzzo for posting this, I'll check one of those out in the future but for now I'd like to not install these mods, because I fear I might mess up my game's env files.

Does anybody know what variables need to be changed in order to change world fog distance and density? There's quite a few variables concerning the fog.
Same goes for light reach - that's only sunColerCenterArea?

:hmm:

why would you mess up your games env Files??

quite literally none of these mods can do that. ULM is an env picker, it loads any env you tell it to in real time.

Env UI can change the current envs parameters on the fly - so that you can eventually make it I to a lighting mod.

and ultra bloomers you configure more rendering settings on the fly.

all of these are script based, there is no chance of messing with your bundled envs...

I see, so there's no danger of me changing values and they'll stay that way? That's good. I might just try one of these mods out. So which one would you recommend I use?

They don’t stay - and definitely don’t stay if you uninstall the mod. Dunno about recommendations, they all do different things and are great mods. Ultra bloom and ULM you can use in a playthrough too and they will enhance the have the game I think - env Ui I consider more a modder’s tool.

what was the reason you asked in the first place? :) wanna make a lighting mod?

Maybe in the future, when I'm more knowledgable.

For now, I'd like to play around with fog distance and density as well as light reach and some other small things and see what I can accomplish.

EVD mod is a good mod, but some small things bother me. These things aren't necessarily the mod's fault though. Like in Velen, under certain weather and lighting conditions, the lighting will be way too dark, despite it being noon. With the mod disabled (and the fog present), it's still somewhat dim, but way brighter and the overall lighting seems more balanced. I would like to see if it's possible to rectify that lighting issue.

Top Bottom