Ambush Units Should Flip Over at the End of the Round (if they haven't already)

+

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Ambush Units Should Flip Over at the End of the Round (if they haven't already)

Ambush is already a pretty decent mechanic, but it has some severe limitations. The biggest one is that you essential play a 0 point card (unless you tutor it, once) until its effect triggers, if it triggers at all. You might say that you have to play smart and at the right time to gain the full potential. And while that's true, you don't always have that luxury because of the way how Gwent works. I am mostly referring to the coin flip and going first. You cannot open with an ambush unit (other than Toruviel) because the opponent can just pass and you cannot play an ambush unit after because you'll lose tempo and go down 2 cards. In order to partly solve this problem, I suggest that ambush units flip over at the end of the round, if they haven't already.

I agree with that. It would make all ambushes a lot more decent if they would flip at the end of the round, even if it is only with half their strength.

It amazed me the first time i ended a round with an unflipped ambush card. So, aye, they should flip at the end of the round. You may lose the special ability, but at least you got some strength.

I dont think sappers would be overpowered at all if they flip when the enemy passes, and they would see more use. I dont know about the other ambush cards, mabe some might be overpowered if they flipped on opponent passing.

Last edited:
Well, after being stupid enough once to open with an ambush unit (and my opponent immediately passed), I can support this idea :D

I don't think if it's that big of a problem, though, but flipping over at the end of the round (if it didn't happen before that) sounds reasonable. I think.

I don't see the point of Toruviel if this change were implemented. I think that flipping over at the end of the round should be the case for a select few ambush cards. For example, the new Morenn: Forest Child. It's such a weak card, and it provides 0 tempo as well... Making it at least flip over at the end of the round would alleviate a lot of the issues the card has.

partci;n10628071 said:
Kinda agree, but this will mean their initial power should be lowered.

Ambush units already have less strength. Their power doesn't need to be lowered.

DannyGuy;n10628921 said:
I don't see the point of Toruviel if this change were implemented.

Well, Toruviel is pretty average and could receive a small buff

4RM3D;n10628991 said:
Ambush units already have less strength. Their power doesn't need to be lowered.

Hmm... Malena is 7+5+5=15, Morenn is 8+7=15 and the Sappers are 11. Add to that Braenn and Iorveth and we are going to even higher numbers. I am playing a deck with those right now and I can tell you first face that it is pretty good.

partci;n10629751 said:
Hmm... Malena is 7+5+5=15, Morenn is 8+7=15 and the Sappers are 11.

Not quite. Malena is up to a max of 17 and Morenn is up to a max of 15. Both cards can be played around, especially Morenn by dropping a 1 strength unit, making Morenn only a 9 point silver. Likewise, Malena might only hit a 3 strength unit for a total of 13 points. Their strength does not need to be reduced.

partci;n10629751 said:
Add to that Braenn and Iorveth and we are going to even higher numbers.

Which is irrelevant; the same can be said for any kind of buffs, like Potions.

TheEpicWhale;n10632381 said:
I kinda agree, but i see one big problem.
A handbuffed power 20 card that is played as the last card where you dont have CA in round 3.
There is now no way for your opponent to scorch this.

That's a valid point. However, you can still save your Sapper/Malena until the last moment. So, it would only apply to Morenn, which isn't your primary buff target to begin with. Also, you can still achieve the same thing with Toruviel, now. In the end, it might not really matter all that much.

Sunsibar;n10628001 said:
Well, after being stupid enough once to open with an ambush unit (and my opponent immediately passed), I can support this idea :D

This should be the function of Wardancers. I think Wardancers should work like this: when you mulligan it away, it gets discarded, and when you play an ambush unit it gets resurrected (only once).

Or better yet: when you play an ambush unit, it summons a Wardancer from your deck.

Of course this wouldn't be necessary if ambush units would turn up at round end no matter what.

Last edited:
CDPR this is a MUST fix asap. It is essential to the game to balance this. For example, I would support Ambush units not getting their effect if its ''after two turns'' kind of effect, but two turns havent passed yet.

Ambush a Truce ability?

Should ambush be a truce ability?

There are many things that make ambush a difficult deck to play at the moment.

One thing is ambush units staying ambushed if their effect doesn't get triggered before the opponent passes.

The other one is the bricking that occurs as soon as your opponents passes when he/she is ahead and you can't play units like Morenn.

The fix to the second problem would be that ambush is an ability that only works if your opponent hasn't passed.

Top Bottom