Any chance The Witcher 3 get MANTLE support?

+
OK - so the title of the thread is "Mantle support". Given Mantle's current status, extending the discussion into DX12 and Khronos could probably be considered on-topic.

But hijacking the thread to discuss the AMD/Nvidia system specs for TW3 isn't. A post has been deleted.

I hope devs are at least going to do something about it in the near future since win10 is going to be released soon.

They have several issues to address. 1. Improve performance. 2. Make the engine more portable to multiple platforms. 3. Reduce overhead of implementing multiple backends. From these 3, I think Vulkan will provide a clear benefit in comparison with DX12. Think of it from perspective of giving REDengine for other developers to use. The less the engine is bloated with boilerplate-like code, the better it is. So if Vulkan won't be any worse performing than DX12, then it will save developers' time. But probably to figure that out they'll have to test both first anyway.

---------- Updated at 09:34 PM ----------

OK - so the title of the thread is "Mantle support". Given Mantle's current status, extending the discussion into DX12 and Khronos could probably be considered on-topic.

Mantle is now Vulkan, which is governed by Khronos, so the topic could be renamed to "Any chance the Witcher 3 can get Vulkan support?" ;)

Last edited:
so the topic could be renamed to "Any chance the Witcher 3 can get DX12 support?" ;)

ftfy
:cheers:

Seriously though, all three are fine as topics, although obviously speculative as any retrospective change would need strong justification on their side. The deleted post was "None of the above".

I suspect that CDPR won't escape adding DX12 too at some point anyway, since they target Xbox, and so far there was no indication that MS are interested in supporting Vulkan there. But who knows, Nadela is doing some positive changes in MS in general, so may be that will change for the better too (all those recent open sourcing announcements are thanks to Nadela). But they are too late to propose their DX12 to Khronos though (even if they wanted to). AMD did it first, so Vulkan will become the de-facto cross platform standard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom