Asking a question about performance of the game in my PC

+
Just FYI. Since I have been replaying the game from the beginning to make sure I achieve all the quests and all that...I made sure I installed nHancer and performed the SLI fix of the light sources being visible through solid objects I must say so far after hours of gaming it has only crashed once which is a lot less than it was before. Also the visuals have actually improved quite a lot. Truly looks awesome :)

LowlIfe said:
Following on from my above question re jerky performance and the advice from licaon_kter I have attached the PCWizard report from my system to this post.
i can only advice you to use stable ( WHQL'd ) video drivers :hmmm:

Well, i have Windows XP SP3, with latest patch and DirectX redistribute, and the game somehow lags at highest settings with the following setup:Motherboard: ASUS P5Q - FSB rated 1600 MHzCPU: Intel Core2Quad @3.2 GHzRAM: 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHzVGA: HD 4870 X2 2GB RAMi've looked everything possible up, and never had any luck; even reinstalled Windows on a brand new HDD, with nothing but the drivers installed besides Witcher, and it didn't solve the problem. Really, if anyone has any idea I've never tried or overlooked, be as kind as to share them with me. I mean, - from the look of things - I couldn't build a PC which Witcher runs smoothly on no matter how much I spend on it :/ (Oh, and BTW VGA is running on reference freqs, no overclocking there; and though CPU is overclocked, memory is running on def timers...)

yorgaSh said:
Well, i have Windows XP SP3, with latest patch and DirectX redistribute, and the game somehow lags at highest settings with the following setup:Motherboard: ASUS P5Q - FSB rated 1600 MHzCPU: Intel Core2Quad @3.2 GHzRAM: 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHzVGA: HD 4870 X2 2GB RAMi've looked everything possible up, and never had any luck; even reinstalled Windows on a brand new HDD, with nothing but the drivers installed besides Witcher, and it didn't solve the problem. Really, if anyone has any idea I've never tried or overlooked, be as kind as to share them with me. I mean, - from the look of things - I couldn't build a PC which Witcher runs smoothly on no matter how much I spend on it :/ (Oh, and BTW VGA is running on reference freqs, no overclocking there; and though CPU is overclocked, memory is running on def timers...)
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
Following on from my above question re jerky performance and the advice from licaon_kter I have attached the PCWizard report from my system to this post.
i can only advice you to use stable ( WHQL'd ) video drivers :hmmm:
I am already using the latest 'WHQL'd' drivers. They are the latest official drivers downloaded from the Nvidia website - 182.50.

thanks for the advice, but I installed Windows Vista (yea, finally found space on my hard disk, after buying Vista...), and somehow it runs smoothly as hell... and as long as I can play it on Vista I'm not concerned anymore =) but anyways, if it wasn't for a game which rocks as much as Witcher, I'd probly just have waited for a couple of months with Vista (and though all the abuse Vista receives, it seems to actually do better on high-end computers... or is it just that my Win XP SP3 is screwed up? :S )well, nevertheless, keep up the good work all!

Hello Everybody, I just got my Enhanced Edition ( Reatail ) today and I have a few questions. Updating, do I need to update this version? When I click update it tells me that I have the 1.4.5.1280 version but it has a link to DL the 1.4 patch. Do I DL this patch or does this have to do with the regular version? Also I'm wondering what a decent graphic setting would be for my card as my demo run, seemed a little slow in FPS. Also when I went into options to enable my EAX it said it encounterted a problem and had to close. I use the EAX in NWN 2 and it works fine. When I leave the default options in place everything seemed to work ok except for the FPS. Playable but slow at times. I noticed that the default AA was 8 I believe, Should I turn this off in game and use my card settings? I'm thinking it may be this update/patch thing but not sure yet. My system is as follows: Windows XP home, SP3 3.0 GHz, Pent 4 with HT 2.5 GB Ram ATI Radeon X1650 Pro PCI-E 512MB SB Audigy 2 sound card DX 9.0c ( Most recent Ver. ) All drivers and system updates done. Thanks for any insight anyone can give.... Sincerely, Ambrose MacAthol 8)

AmbroseMacAthol said:
I just got my Enhanced Edition ( Reatail ) today and I have a few questions. Updating, do I need to update this version? When I click update it tells me that I have the 1.4.5.1280 version but it has a link to DL the 1.4 patch. Do I DL this patch or does this have to do with the regular version? Also I'm wondering what a decent graphic setting would be for my card as my demo run, seemed a little slow in FPS. Also when I went into options to enable my EAX it said it encounterted a problem and had to close. I use the EAX in NWN 2 and it works fine. When I leave the default options in place everything seemed to work ok except for the FPS. Playable but slow at times. I noticed that the default AA was 8 I believe, Should I turn this off in game and use my card settings? I'm thinking it may be this update/patch thing but not sure yet.
the new hotfix is here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=21009.0 , you already have patch 1.4 ( that is just an launcher error )it's a minimum spec system, read the README.TXT for the reccomended settingssee this too: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,658399/Practice/PCGH_Tuning-_The_Witcher_Enhanced_Edition/?page=1

Hi Licaon, Thanks very much for your input, I'll play around with my card a little bit and see what I can do. And even though I don't like the thought I guess I'll have to tone done my res a bit. I'm so use to 1920X1200 I'm not sure if can go back. lol Thanks Again, Sincerely, Ambrose MacAthol

Yeah 1920x1200 is far too high a res for such an old card, try 1440x900. That should let you put low / medium settings :peace:

Hello all! I just picked up a copy of this game (the Enhanced Version), and have it running (almost) seamlessly on a new rig. The ONLY problem i keep running into is that the SOUND and VIDEO runs REALLY choppy. (it appears to 'hiccup' rather frequently) :-\The following are my system specs (before anyone asks, yes, I have all of THE most current drivers for ALL of my hardware): Intel pentium core 2 duo 2.4Ghz processor Intel DQ965GF chipset motherboard Xfx GeForce 8600GT vid card ASUS Xonar DX sound card 4G Kingston Value RAM Any and all advice to get this worked out would be MUCH appreciated! If any further details are needed (ie a DxDiag) let me know? Thanks in advance! ;D

Raiche said:
I just picked up a copy of this game (the Enhanced Version), and have it running (almost) seamlessly on a new rig. The ONLY problem i keep running into is that the SOUND and VIDEO runs REALLY choppy. (it appears to 'hiccup' rather frequently) :-\The following are my system specs (before anyone asks, yes, I have all of THE most current drivers for ALL of my hardware): Intel pentium core 2 duo 2.4Ghz processor Intel DQ965GF chipset motherboard Xfx GeForce 8600GT vid card ASUS Xonar DX sound card 4G Kingston Value RAM
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )on my 8600GT it was running fine at 1280x800, all HIGH, no AA, 4xAF, no Depth of Fieldresults may vary, but up to chapter 3 you should have plenty of frames, then things could get messy as the levels are way biggerwhat game settings do you use?

The GAME settings I am using (if thats what you're referring to here) are the default settings from a fresh install (monitor set to 1024x768). It will take me some time to repost any extra info, as I am currently posting in here from work, not home. I will update again once I can get all that together. In the meantime, since it may (very unfortunately :'() take a day or so... could/should I just maybe try turning DOWN the game settings? I really DONT want to have to do that, because the game just LOOKS so beautiful... but to get it to run properly, I would take a hit on how pretty it looks vs its functionality. :D Long as it RUNS correctly for the time being, I will be content. ;D

I am double posting i know (shame on me) but it is for a good reason, in my search for things to help people have the max performance when they play game, i have found a nice utility called Game Booster. I have tried it my self and yes, it really does a great job. Here is the features of it: 1 ClickGame Booster is extremely easy to use. Its intuitive interface makes Game Booster the perfect tool for complete computer dummies. Speed up Game PlayGame Booster gives more CPU and RAM to your games, making your games running at the peak performance.Increase Gaming StabilityGame Booster prevents and avoids possible conflicts and incompatibility, by temporarily closing background processes and unnecessary Windows services.Safe, Security, and FreeGame Booster does not overclock your hardware, does not change your Windows Registry and system settings. Game Booster is 100% freeware, without any virus, adware, and spyware.When you are done, you just need to click on "normal mode" and all the services and softwares that you select to close are restarted properly... Try it out :) Licaon, i did not had time to look at the structure of the forum yet but if there is a post to increase game performances, you should add it there !

Raiche said:
could/should I just maybe try turning DOWN the game settings?
it's a matter of time actually, you will need to in Chapter 3 anyway
Raiche said:
Licaon, i did not had time to look at the structure of the forum yet but if there is a post to increase game performances, you should add it there !
i've merged this where it should be actuallybut, i don't really like automated applications that mess around with services and background applications :hmmm:

Seriously, i have tried it many times so far and, you actualy see what it does, the changes it will make when you get in gaming mode are really reverted back when you click on Normal mode.And look at it, would you prefer to see people who dont know what they are doing trying to shut services and process by following those numerous and vague online guides or would you prefer to have them to use something that is transparent in it's operation ?You know all to well as i do that when it's time to gain performances and speed, users are ready to do anything. :)

Mobidoy said:
And look at it, would you prefer to see people who dont know what they are doing trying to shut services and process by following those numerous and vague online guides or would you prefer to have them to use something that is transparent in it's operation ?
i've sketched up in my mind a post about services in Windows, i'll try to get some time to write it, maybe next week after Easter hits around here

I have an Hp s3120n low proile computer with 2gb ram and an onboard nvidia 6150le video card. I have been playing Witcher Enhanced Ed. for a while with all the FX turned way down-and the game plays adequately, as least as far as I'm concerned. I am in Act IV, now and yes there is a bit of slow down or choppy-frames in the market area of ACT III, but no real problems. The game did not crash either going from Act III to Act IV as I was warned it would.So i am satisfied. You can't always have the latest rig to have all the whizz-bang bling. Love the game, BTW>

Hello, I really love the game - I am having one or two issues that I'm hoping you can help me with. 1 - when going through a door - say out an inn etc. the game sometimes, not always, freezes, or should I say the main character freezes and cannot move. I have to save, exit the game, reload back and then continue playing - this is very annoying.2 - when a cutscene comes where a movie is played it sometimes gives me a black screen - I hear background noises etc. but cannot play. Again using dots I've marked on my screen I have to save the game, exit and reload. - very frustrating.I've managed to get through the whole 1st chapter using this method - Now to chapter two - I visit the detective - have my nice little chat and then what happens - another cutscene - groan - but this one doesn't allow you to save and load back. I am now stuck here - cannot go forward with the game at all.My graphics card is ATI Radeon 9550, I have 1 gig ram and this should be sufficient to run the game - tell me what is wrong and how I can solve it - I really love the game but hate the slow loading - wish it would load as quickly as Oblivion or other RPG games - please help ASAP - you can send reply to my email : silver@reboot-it.co.za much appreciated, and thanks.Silver :)

LanaAdams said:
My graphics card is ATI Radeon 9550, I have 1 gig ram and this should be sufficient to run the game
but it's notat least an ATI Radeon 9800Pro is requiredread: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder ( if the game crashed )

Top Bottom